Fj40 Cold Starts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ditch the weber.
non usa oe carb, full choke, two pumps, starts almost as soon as the key is turned. it was right around 30 degrees this morning.

Same

OEM carb, pull the choke, pump it twice, hold it to the floor and turn it on.

even in the real cold.

Yep.

What’s cold? Fired mine up today. Has sat for over a week, 50F in the garage. Full Choke, turn key, fired right up. No pumping.

What’s cold? Fired mine up today. Has sat for over a week, 50F in the garage. Full Choke, turn key, fired right up. No pumping.
0*

Same here on my 💯 stock 79', full choke, 2 pumps, and a bit of throttle and it is Instant start after crank.

Now, my JimC rebuilt stock 2F with full desmog 60 requires several (10-15) throttle pumps prior to attempting if it has sat for a few days, but is instant as well.

I have a nicely tuned Weber and she cranks right up...two pumps and she goes.

But if it sits for an extended period...it takes a bit of work for the first start

Same

OEM carb, pull the choke, pump it twice, hold it to the floor and turn it on.

even in the real cold.
For cold start I have always pumped twice, then pull choke and turn over (thought I read it that way in manual but I may have switched it) does it get more gas in the carb to open first then pump?

Curious if there is an upgrade that would eliminate multiple turns of the key to get my Fj started in the cold weather...beefier starter? I have Weber carb. Thanks
Thanks...probably will not spend money on new carb but will get tune up. Was not aware that I still needed to pump the gas with the Weber...I knew you had to do it with the stock oe carb. It takes 4 to five initial attempts, 6 and 7 it try’s hard to turn over then on the 8th as it trying to turn over I give her more gas then all is good.

Two pump + hold to the floor,,,I read somewhere on this forum that you should wait a minute before the hold to the floor and turn the key - something about the gas vaporizing.

Which is the time I reflect on all the work I still need to do on the FJ40. Is this peaceful moment not needed?

Two pump + hold to the floor,,,I read somewhere on this forum that you should wait a minute before the hold to the floor and turn the key - something about the gas vaporizing.

Which is the time I reflect on all the work I still need to do on the FJ40. Is this peaceful moment not needed?
Is the hold to the floor the ga or clutch?

For cold start I have always pumped twice, then pull choke and turn over (thought I read it that way in manual but I may have switched it) does it get more gas in the carb to open first then pump?
It's just a habit now, as I'm pulling the choke I pump it twice, hold it down, and turn the key. Then I feather the choke to keep the RPMs around 1K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom