FJ40 Brake Line Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IH8MUDRs,

I have a 1972 FJ40, and I want to replace the brake lines. Does anyone know metal was used for the oem lines?
Also, has anyone had their original lines re-plated with zinc?

Thanks

I used flex stainless steel and happy with them.

full

full

I think the original were steel. I replaced all mine and just made them off the old ones I removed. Napa has a 20 ' coil of 3/16 brake line for around 20 bucks. Buy a good rigid brand flaring kit!!

As long as it is a '72 or newer, no need to reinvent the wheel; pre-made would be my choice. I only have experience with SOR's kit, but it has worked well for me.

The original lines were steel. I'd be careful coating and running your original lines - they tend to rust from the inside. Mine were ultra thin in places when I removed them. Some actually split on removal.

I replaced all of my lines by building new ones from nickel-copper alloy (AKA cunifer). It's more expensive but easy to bend and should never rust.

Rainman makes them and they are amazing !!!! They fit like they are supposed to and look great.. They are reasonably priced.Can't recommend him enough.

you can buy the coated lines from napa .we use them here because of the road salt and a good flare tool its less than a days work to replace them all .

By it off-the-shelf from a MUD member:

Rainman's Brake Lines

Unfortunately rainman posted on his site 4 days ago that he has closed the shop for an indefinite period of time. Hopefully he gets things in order and is able to get back to this. I was just about to order some from him........

Unfortunately rainman posted on his site 4 days ago that he has closed the shop for an indefinite period of time. Hopefully he gets things in order and is able to get back to this. I was just about to order some from him........

Dude, I was going to order from him...

Another issue I have, is that my 1972 FJ40 has a 1975 or later disc brake front axle, so I may need to make custom front lines. Does anyone know where to buy mix and matched kits?

I replaced all of my lines by building new ones from nickel-copper alloy (AKA cunifer). It's more expensive but easy to bend and should never rust.

Yep, not only easier to bend but also quite a bit easier to take a good flaring.

It's available in Amazon at pretty good pricing if you buy a 25ft roll or more and you'll appreciate it right away if you've ever fought flaring steel lines, having to do two or three attempts using good tools before getting one that you both like and won't leak.

The nickel-copper line also has a nice color to it, for whatever that's worth to you.

Yep, not only easier to bend but also quite a bit easier to take a good flaring.

It's available in Amazon at pretty good pricing if you buy a 25ft roll or more and you'll appreciate it right away if you've ever fought flaring steel lines, having to do two or three attempts using good tools before getting one that you both like and won't leak.

The nickel-copper line also has a nice color to it, for whatever that's worth to you.

It was definitely money well spent - I had never flared a line in my life, and did my entire FJ40 without a single bad flare using a cheap OTC flaring tool. I attribute that to the quality of the material, not my "talent."

The color IS nice, initially, but I will warn you it turns green (like copper) after some time in the rain and humidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom