FJ40 Battery Tray- Coating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks, I just finished scraping off what I believe is the original rubberized coating from my '68 FJ Battery tray. It was flaking off in spots and was providing a great place for rust to begin. Wire-wheeled everything that I could get to, hit it all with lacquer thinner, and applied a spray coat of etching primer. Is there a reason to try and apply a coating of flex-seal spray rubber to it? Is there a reason it was treated like that in the first place? Or will it suffice to just give it a few additional coats of primer and semi-gloss black paint. Thanks to all!

If it were me I’d coat it. I would think the extra thickness would help protect from battery acid, scratches.

I coated mine with POR-15. It is pretty impervious to acid and water. I can't remember if the manufacturer of POR recommends against a self-etching primer. They usually just want it applied right over the rusty metal.

Coat it with a good paint, POR-15 or Chassis Saver. For some additional protection, just cut some 90 mil rubber roofing strips and lay them under your battery.

Might be cheaper to just order a new tray than spend the money and time repairing yours. They are priced reasonably.

best advice in this thread. They’re still available from Toyota at a reasonable price.

Most topcoats don’t stick to “real” self-etching primers. Most topcoats require a surfacer primer middle coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom