FJ 62 distributor cap vacuum hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't see a photo but, one hose goes to the passenger side firewall and the other goes to the air intake to a port just before the air flow meter. The hose going to the firewall connects to a device inside the cab. It is very important to hook these up because it will properly vent the distributer and keep it from corroding. Of course the truck will run perfectly fine without hooking them up. But eventually it will become a problem.

Here are a couple of pics. First is the airflow meter second is the firewall.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Yep, just a venting hose. Connected to the air intake filter will keep the distributor clean and functional.

It will also prevent this from happening.

IMG_8612.JPG

The high voltage spark jumping from terminal to terminal inside the cap creates ozone. Ozone is flammable. If the cap isn't ventilated, the ozone (when mixed with gasoline fumes) can build up to a high enough concentration to explode.
That busted cap was probably from a 2F or F engine (carb) that had a venting hose connected to the air cleaner without a functioning VCV.

It will also prevent this from happening.

View attachment 1395902
Same thing happened to the cap on my non-US distributor on my '71 FJ40 (with '76 2F). Because there aren't any vents on those caps, I'm wondering if I could retrofit somehow. I'm thinking I should post that question on the 40-Series forum.

Same thing happened to the cap on my non-US distributor on my '71 FJ40 (with '76 2F). Because there aren't any vents on those caps, I'm wondering if I could retrofit somehow. I'm thinking I should post that question on the 40-Series forum.

A replacement cap (still available) might bolt right up to your current dizzy. Someone here will know for sure though.

Any idea where in the cab the second hose goes? I ' ve replaced all my 3.5 and 5.5 hoses, but didn't want to tear apart the interior just for this one hose.

Thanks!

Any idea where in the cab the second hose goes? I ' ve replaced all my 3.5 and 5.5 hoses, but didn't want to tear apart the interior just for this one hose.

Thanks!
It's a simple filter, shown top center of the diagram below. It's mounted to the firewall on the passenger side, down fairly low.

FJ62 Vacuum Piping.png

Very good. Thank you for pointing out .That does not look too ridiculous .I am certain there is something worth pulling apart on passenger side that I can hit up while I make the hose switch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom