Fixing the 73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i knew the brakes needed work. But when i changed my wheels i didnt realize how much. Pricing an overhaul for all way around each drum brake front and rear with new drums was going to cost me about 800.00 so i elected to just upgrade to disc brakes. Its a little more expensive but over time it will be better. Now how much modification has to be done? Is this going to be a pain in the ass? And i know i should of probably done this before hand.
You will not regret upgrading to discs. Not sure about your LC, but my 72' did not have self adjusting/self tightening drum brakes. On top of that each wheel had not 1, but 2 wheel cylinders. Every time after off roading in mud the shoes would wear down and I'd have to adjust them back out with a brake spoon. Often taking off each wheel as the adjusters had rusted frozen. I despise the combination of brake dust and brake fluid to this day......go out drive and brake to see if it pulled left or right and readjust. Perhaps my LC was missing some parts , but that's how it was............

My plan was to use the same wheels. I think a guy on here bought the moon hubcaps that fit those wheels, then cut the flange off of it and rivited it to the fj40 hubcaps.

My plan was to use the same wheels. I think a guy on here bought the moon hubcaps that fit those wheels, then cut the flange off of it and rivited it to the fj40 hubcaps.

@dogfishlake did this. Have pinged him.

Ping!

Cool thread, cool truck.

I have been messing with oem caps on Wheel vintiques wheels forever trying to get it right. I am pretty happy with the process now.

You have to cut the insides out of an oem cap and remove, then cut the dome part out of a WV baby moon cap. Then it is a matter of tig welding, or I suppose riveting the two together. I took a ton of pictures and can't find them now so I will try to add more. The welds end up in the black painted part of the wheel so it is just a matter of repainting them.

I don't have very good pictures at the moment and it doesn't seem to matter because I can't get them to attach either on my phone or desktop!

I will try again later.

Let's try this. Page 47 post #924 is where the info starts.

i knew the brakes needed work. But when i changed my wheels i didnt realize how much. Pricing an overhaul for all way around each drum brake front and rear with new drums was going to cost me about 800.00 so i elected to just upgrade to disc brakes. Its a little more expensive but over time it will be better. Now how much modification has to be done? Is this going to be a pain in the ass? And i know i should of probably done this before hand.

Four-wheel disc brakes are a huge improvement for drivability in my opinion. The easiest way to get discs on the front is just to swap in late 40 or mini-truck knuckles with discs. On the rear, you will need to get caliper brackets. @Poser sells some, so does Man-A-Fre and maybe some others. Most folks use cheby Monte Carlo calipers. You may have to redo some of your brake lines. While you're replacing the rear brakes is a good time to replace the rear axle seals and bearings if you don't know it's been done recently.

In my experience, you don't get the full benefit of disc brakes without a modern master cylinder made for 4-wheel discs, and a good vacuum booster. I used a non-ABS FZJ80 master, and a vacuum booster from @Racer65.

Have some parts. Nothing great but if anybody needs it.

20200428_151056.jpg

20200428_151049.jpg

20200428_151117.jpg

20200428_151129.jpg

20200428_151233.jpg

Ping!

Cool thread, cool truck.

I have been messing with oem caps on Wheel vintiques wheels forever trying to get it right. I am pretty happy with the process now.

You have to cut the insides out of an oem cap and remove, then cut the dome part out of a WV baby moon cap. Then it is a matter of tig welding, or I suppose riveting the two together. I took a ton of pictures and can't find them now so I will try to add more. The welds end up in the black painted part of the wheel so it is just a matter of repainting them.

I don't have very good pictures at the moment and it doesn't seem to matter because I can't get them to attach either on my phone or desktop!

I will try again later.
Sounds good ty

You will not regret upgrading to discs. Not sure about your LC, but my 72' did not have self adjusting/self tightening drum brakes. On top of that each wheel had not 1, but 2 wheel cylinders. Every time after off roading in mud the shoes would wear down and I'd have to adjust them back out with a brake spoon. Often taking off each wheel as the adjusters had rusted frozen. I despise the combination of brake dust and brake fluid to this day......go out drive and brake to see if it pulled left or right and readjust. Perhaps my LC was missing some parts , but that's how it was............
My has the same to wheel cylinders. Pump pump press was the way it has always been. :/ Found a good kit for rear and front from JC outfitters. Comes with master cylinder and rear brackets. 999.00

My has the same to wheel cylinders. Pump pump press was the way it has always been. :/ Found a good kit for rear and front from JC outfitters. Comes with master cylinder and rear brackets. 999.00
The pump, pump, press reminds me of the brakes on my $100 VW bug that got me through high school and half of college! Seriously though, it sounds like the rears might be just fine except for adjusting the star screws out til they are right on the drum. That will eliminate the pump part. Rears only do 30% of the stopping work so if you get the adjustment right, drums are great. Just a thought to save you some $$

I just removed old baring from hub flange, cleaned and painted. About to press new bearings in and put the front back together. Thanks to Kirk from cruiser outfitters for getting all my bearings and parts to me quickly and correctly. By far one of the most knowledgeable and nicest people i have spoke to. Thanks Kirk

20200507_142944.jpg

20200507_142938.jpg

20200507_142926.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom