First time buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

where is the rig located?
the hood latch looks wrong
the exhaust, cat and muffler look off??
I'm thinking there is more rust hiding, the pic with the radiator and driver side of the rad support, there is rust bubbling thru by the bolts
can you look at it in person?

where is the rig located?
the hood latch looks wrong
the exhaust, cat and muffler look off??
I'm thinking there is more rust hiding, the pic with the radiator and driver side of the rad support, there is rust bubbling thru by the bolts
can you look at it in person?
I noticed the hood isn't fully latched maybe. Rigs in AZ I'm in oregon. Having an inspection completed on Monday.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but at first glance it looks to be from an area of corrosion and has had the full used car lot package:

Steam clean the interior
Pressure wash the engine bay and chassis
Repaint any questionable area with Semi Gloss black (did they paint the winch cable?)
Send her down to Earl Schieb for the special!

All being said it could be a decent cruiser or it could have unknown and to be discovered issues.

I would only consider this Cruiser with one of the following offering a favorable report, but at that price range it needs to be really favorable!!

An experienced eye seeing it in person

A very competent Land Cruiser specific shop PPI

Seller is an enthusiast that will share honest history as well as before and after the work pictures.

Good luck I personally think there is better or quite a bit cheaper!! Find one in the Mud classifieds!

Run?

Leaf springs look pretty flat. I'd guess the suspension hasn't been looked at for a while, which means you might be in for springs, shocks, u-bolts, bushings, tie rod ends? Would suck to have to drop another $2-3k on the suspension after spending $24k on the truck.

Agree with @desmocruiser that there are likely better examples out there for a better price. It would be much better to buy one off an enthusiast/long-time owner than a used car dealer that clearly has no idea about these vehicles.

And yeah, the spray-painted winch cable is very sus. In fact that whole bull bar thing is a bit weird IMO.

That thing looks like shihhhhhh. This is coming from someone who bought a “zero rust” (bahahahahaha) sight unseen. I’m gonna save her though and wouldn’t be opposed to you saving this one. Caveat emptor…

Says it runs fine
Haha, what I meant was that you RUN away from it. Got signs of hidden gem (Rust) and for $24k it better look and run like a 24k vehicle and I just don't see it. Let us know what the inspection finds.

What company did you enlist for the inspection? Some of the national ones are trash with their vetting of qualified inspectors. I had one once say AC blew cold when the owner and I had already discussed it didn't work.

I've got a deposit on it but the concensus here is making me think i ought to look elsewhere

probably a good idea

this one is in Seattle:

this one in northern CA:

I would look closer to home, that way you could look at it in person, drive it to make sure it is actually something you want. If you have questions after looking at one, then post the question and or see if someone is close by with knowledge that can help look at it.
remember these rigs are closing in on 40 years old and a lot can be done to them in that time, both good and bad.

Last edited:
I've got a deposit on it but the concensus here is making me think i ought to look elsewhere
I was being sarcastic earlier but I had a similar decision to yours and pulled the trigger because I planned to replace most everything anyways.

The “rust-free” on mine was far from true but nothing insurmountable just so body spots I will have to pay to have repaired/welded

If you love it go for it just add at least 20% to whatever your budget is for upgrades/repairs (at least)

this one in northern CA:

I would look closer to home, that way you could look at it in person, drive it to make sure it is actually something you want. If you have questions after looking at one, then post the question and or see if someone is close by with knowledge that can help look at it.
remember these rigs are closing in on 40 years old and a lot can be done to them in that time, both good and bad.
FJ62 FS by seller above looks pretty good too. For Sale - 1989 FJ62 Rust Free in N. California - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-fj62-rust-free-in-n-california.1286755/

probably a good idea

this one is in Seattle:

this one in northern CA:

remember these rigs are closing in on 40 years old and a lot can be done to them in that time, both good

probably a good idea

this one is in Seattle:

this one in northern CA:

I appreciate the input...there's one up in oregon city I'm going to check out next weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom