First Time Buyer Looking For Advice - 15k Budget (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I posted to the 200-series forum last night and they recommended I post here as well.

I'm in the market for my first Land Cruiser (or LX470) with a 15k budget. I'm finding vehicles from the early 2000's with 150k-200k and some earlier models from the 90s with fewer miles (in some cases).

Any advice on how to navigate the buying process would be very helpful.\

Matt

If you're from the Fishers Island that is at the end of Long Island, you should be able to find one locally. IMHO, it's worth spending a bit more for an '03+ as you get the 5sp tranny, side curtain airbags, 18" wheels, and a more modern interior than the '98-'02. If you're patient and willing to do some refurb, you can prob find one in your budget. Here's a couple that seem cheap, especially the first one with only 1 owner:

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser/Landcruiser Orig Owner -

2004 Toyota Land Cruiser - White

Rust is the only thing that can really kill these. Not sure how they hold up on Long Island with the salt in the air and on the roads in Winter? But this was the biggest challenge when I was looking 3 years ago. All LX 470 came with AHC suspension which will likely need some maintenance at the price point you're shopping at. LC's didn't come with AHC until '06-'07 (as an option).

Otherwise, these are built like tanks, but they do have timing belts so look for good service history. I've put 40K miles on mine in 3 years and it's my favorite vehicle so far. My son will get it in a few years when he starts driving and I'll look for another 100 as I like them that much.

Thank you!

The FAQs are super informative.

Fishers Island is at the tip up Long Island, and part of NY, but surprisingly the only ferry to the island leaves from New London, CT!

I followed up on the one owner vehicle. The seller said there is some rust and that the passenger side sway bar was welded... Of more concern is the fact that he didn't mention that the vehicle was in an accident last year. Thanks goodness for Carfax!

I'm going to look into this one next:

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser

Seems a little overpriced but if it's well taken care of maybe it's worth it. My approach will be to run a Carfax and to take it to a Toyota dealership for an inspection.

Thanks again for all the help.

Matt

Hi,

I posted to the 200-series forum last night and they recommended I post here as well.

I'm in the market for my first Land Cruiser (or LX470) with a 15k budget. I'm finding vehicles from the early 2000's with 150k-200k and some earlier models from the 90s with fewer miles (in some cases).

Any advice on how to navigate the buying process would be very helpful.\

Matt
Curious why you posted to the 200-series section before posting here first. Were you under the impression you could find a 200 in the $15k range or was it for something else?

Curious why you posted to the 200-series section before posting here first. Were you under the impression you could find a 200 in the $15k range or was it for something else?

My search has turned up 2003s-2005s with around 200k in my price range. Aren't those considered 200-series?

I'm new to this though so I could be very mistaken.

My search has turned up 2003s-2005s with around 200k in my price range. Aren't those considered 200-series?

I'm new to this though so I could be very mistaken.
Glad I asked lol. The 100-series includes Land Cruisers and LX470 from years 1998-2007. In 2008, the 200-series replaced the 100-series. The difference between the two generations is pretty significant and you'd have a hard (if not impossible) time finding a 200-series for $15k.

Take your time, read up on all the knowledge available at this site, and keep us posted! Good luck!

I just bought mine about a month ago in your price range that had had all sorts of recent maintenance that I expect it should be another 5 years before I have to do anything major. Good ones are out there in your price range, just have to wait and mileage isn't a real issue with any toyota. I plan to drive my LX until it has more miles than my 80 and it has 310K.

Thank you!

The FAQs are super informative.

Fishers Island is at the tip up Long Island, and part of NY, but surprisingly the only ferry to the island leaves from New London, CT!

I followed up on the one owner vehicle. The seller said there is some rust and that the passenger side sway bar was welded... Of more concern is the fact that he didn't mention that the vehicle was in an accident last year. Thanks goodness for Carfax!

I'm going to look into this one next:

2003 Toyota Land Cruiser

Seems a little overpriced but if it's well taken care of maybe it's worth it. My approach will be to run a Carfax and to take it to a Toyota dealership for an inspection.

Thanks again for all the help.

Matt

If you think that '03 is overpriced then you are going to have a tough time finding something. Assuming there is no rust on it that is.

I think for an 03 that's in line with what I'm seeing in the West. I regularly see 98-2000 under 10k.

I'm looking too but I have a very flexible timeline (Sept 2018).

Glad I asked lol. The 100-series includes Land Cruisers and LX470 from years 1998-2007. In 2008, the 200-series replaced the 100-series. The difference between the two generations is pretty significant and you'd have a hard (if not impossible) time finding a 200-series for $15k.

Take your time, read up on all the knowledge available at this site, and keep us posted! Good luck!

Ha! Thanks for sorting me out. Somehow I thought the improvements from 2002 to 2003 constituted the move from 100-series to 200-series.

I haven't seen anything close to my price range post-2008.

I'll report back when I find something.

If you think that '03 is overpriced then you are going to have a tough time finding something. Assuming there is no rust on it that is.

The carfax on this vehicle ended up showing an accident that resulted in structural damage and odometer irregularities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom