First FZJ80, 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. That is quite the rust repair measure! What's your plan from this point?

Sending everything out to get sandblasted. Frame and all. Then break out the POR15, all new bushings, seal, bolts and back on we go.

Some of those heater hard lines are... crunchy

Nice truck though!

Thanks!

That sway bar looks like it was batter fried. Looks like you’re being very thorough

I'm really lazy and hate doing things more than once.

@rdcnj Impressive! Can't wait to see it come together!!!!

Got the frame back... Now the real fun starts...

2020-04-10 13.17.30.jpg

2020-04-10 13.17.40.jpg

That is awesome! Looking forward to seeing this come together. What product do you plan to use to paint the frame and other parts?

That is awesome! Looking forward to seeing this come together. What product do you plan to use to paint the frame and other parts?

Hey @NorCalFJ100 , thanks for the encouragement and comments.

I've done some homework on the protection front and this is where we will go at this stage.

We are going to use the POR15 prep materials to prepare the frame and then give it two coats of POR15. We may put a coat of paint over it, but since the frame sees very little direct sun (uv rays are harmful to POR 15)... I don't know that we will paint it after the two coats.

Every part there will also get the same style of POR15 treatment along with the underside of the body.

I'm going to get the second stage parts list together, because we tore everything down except for motor and trans. So I need rebuild kits for the differentials and a few other parts that I didn't order on my first go around.

I am open to any and all suggestions anyone may have at this stage. We appreciate any insight you can offer to make this process better.

Wow!

Good for you going so far, but POR is Paint Over Rust.

It LIKES the tooth of descaled rust.
Needlegun it & wire-wheel, no more.

With a freshly blasted frame, why aren’t you gusseting & send it out for powdercoat?

Your 80, just giving you my experience from a sulfuric acid refinery mechanic in regards to POR (or I could talk about hi-build Tnemec aluminum powder content primer).

Gusseted/PC’ed frame= //end story.

I agree that POR15 adheres to rust best, but the PO got the frame sandblasted, which is okay--the POR15 should still stick well.

If you're going this far, I'd paint the frame and forget about it for another 20 years.

Yea I’d powder coat it or paint and be done, I’ve only used por15 on rusted things, but since you have it that clean and torn down go paint or powder coat

My initial thought was also powder coating!!! You've made it this far, go big!

I’d really think powdercoat once you gusset the PS box area, maybe build up some on that tube ahead of the FR shock towers that ties the rails (repaired that on the 450 when the PO was the owner) - and it never hurts to build up the shocktower welds at the frame.

Just my $.02 - but if I ever LS a 80, I’d be into welding there & the rear crossmember esp on the PS where the RR panhard triangle is.

And add a smoother transition to where the RR lower 4-link mount to the frame, lots of guys bang that mount.

Maybe it’s overkill, but I’d build the frame now for being able to handle 37’s or similar - having pics of all that welded & gussets if you ever go to sell would be a major perk.

It may seem O/C-D, but you’re getting the benefit of a list where alot of people have experienced frame issues over the years.

Should have been prepared to prime the frame immediately after blasting. The flash rust will need to be removed before coating.

Sherwin Williams 646 mastic eppxy (yes, a real paint number) is an excellent primer for a frame, then topcoat with whatever color you want afterwards.

Well, block sanding & the ol’ 6-4-6 do work the same muscle group.....in the arm.

:p

Here's the problem with powdercoating... All it takes is one chip to ruin powdercoating. Since removal of the frame is a monumental task one has to consider his long term plan to maintain it, should any chips or damage show up. If the frame is treated with POR15 or a like substance, I can clean the surface and protect it no matter what the circumstance.

So while powdercoating may seem like the best solution... for my objectives and plan to maintain... I don't think it will suit my needs as well as some serious rust treatment and a top coat paint.

2020-04-13 10.26.23.jpg

2020-04-13 10.12.43.jpg

2020-04-11 14.06.53.jpg

Should have been prepared to prime the frame immediately after blasting. The flash rust will need to be removed before coating.

Sherwin Williams 646 mastic eppxy (yes, a real paint number) is an excellent primer for a frame, then topcoat with whatever color you want afterwards.

It's not flash rust, it's the direct result of following the instructions on the POR15 website about how to use their two stages of prep prior to painting the area.

After applying POR15's Metal Prep Solution, that was the result. Prior to that, there was literally a one day lapse from sandblasting to prep.

I’d really think powdercoat once you gusset the PS box area, maybe build up some on that tube ahead of the FR shock towers that ties the rails (repaired that on the 450 when the PO was the owner) - and it never hurts to build up the shocktower welds at the frame.

Just my $.02 - but if I ever LS a 80, I’d be into welding there & the rear crossmember esp on the PS where the RR panhard triangle is.

And add a smoother transition to where the RR lower 4-link mount to the frame, lots of guys bang that mount.

Maybe it’s overkill, but I’d build the frame now for being able to handle 37’s or similar - having pics of all that welded & gussets if you ever go to sell would be a major perk.

It may seem O/C-D, but you’re getting the benefit of a list where alot of people have experienced frame issues over the years.

I appreciate the insight, trust me. I'm just not going to put 37's on it or drive it hard enough to need those kinds of enhancements at this time and I don't have plans for when that will be the day. Because if that day comes... it won't be with this truck it'll be with another designed for abuse. This is designed for light fun involving beach fishing and light camping with my son.

Last edited:
Cool, I’d do the steering box truss no matter what.

That’s just basic math as far in as tou are IMO.

And give a critical eye to the pipe spanning the rails up by the oilpan, at least look for any cracking.

But no matter - your 80, your frame, your time/labor.
I’m just offering my easily typed advice.

Here's the problem with powdercoating... All it takes is one chip to ruin powdercoating.

So true.

I like powder coating but not on something that will see multiple impacts over the years, regardless of how small.

great to see the progress. keep the pics coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom