First FZJ80, 97 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2019-03-21 07.51.17.jpg

2019-03-21 07.51.20.jpg

2019-03-21 07.51.33.jpg

2019-03-21 07.52.03.jpg

2019-03-21 07.52.08.jpg

:cry:

Oh ye of little faith... This is exactly what I was expecting to see for a vehicle from the North East that's over 20 years old, dare I say... might even be a little cleaner than I expected.

Stay tuned for the parts list and the journey to make it a driver for another 20 years. Majority of what you see there is surface rust that will be rot in 5 years if left as is. We're not going to give it the opportunity to get close to that.

Looking at the exterior photos, I thought damn thats good looking. Probably not disclosing price cause he got it so cheap! Then i saw the undercarriage. Definitely salvageable but hope you didn't drain the pocketbook on it!

Nice cruiser, good luck with the maintenance!

A 40th with no roof rack and lockers is a pretty good score. Post up pics once you blast and coat underneath. A lot of folks up your way use Fluid Film on a yearly basis. I'm surprised the wheels are in such good shape considering the under carriage.

No time like a pandemic to get things sorted out. I really need help finding some thing that I need and some things I am going to consider.

First, I want to give the basis for the vehicle. I want to use this to go exploring in it's most simplest form for now. So that means driving on the beach or very light trails, that a stock truck would have no problem getting me to. I am not interested in outfitting this truck for seriously heavy duty camping or extended trips for now.

So, Initially my thoughts are that I really want to salvage this interior because of how rare it is. If anyone has a line on front and rear (NOT 3rd Row) matching seats, door cards and rear covers... please let me know. Depending on the cost and location, I will strongly consider it.

Aside from an assortment of bolts, rubber, hoses and gaskets... I think I'm gonna need some things that might be available used.

Stock Running Boards
Fuel Tank Straps
Fuel Tank Filler Neck Assy

These are the items I think I can get away with used if I can find them from members on here or for sale somewhere else in good condition used.

Compression / Leak down numbers were 100% solid and strong. I am going to thoroughly review the repair history to see if and when the head gasket was done.

Since that seems to be a common problem and I have everything apart... I'd had to be short sighted and leave that to chance. Once I review the repair history, I'll make another post about what my findings are and to gather thoughts from the community.

The end goal, for now at least: To have a mechanically (first then visually) restored Land Cruiser that we can take to weekend excursions. Local fishing, camping, family trips.

Pictures of the process getting started, getting ready to separate the frame from the body this upcoming week.

Making a plan for the one spot that needs clear rust repair.

Getting a parts list together.

Buying supplies to clean frame and under carriage to prepare for POR15 application.

2020-03-28 13.35.28.jpg

2020-03-28 13.35.45.jpg

2020-03-28 13.35.51.jpg

2020-03-28 13.36.02.jpg

2020-03-28 13.36.04.jpg

Oh my!

You did it the right way! I just reached everything I could with a wire wheel and a few brushes. Cleaned the surface and sprayed Corroseal. Going to paint over it next weekend, wasn’t as bad as yours but looks like you’ve got a solid Cruiser 🤙🏾

7896F50F-D300-4BFD-9745-6520F2A1D292.jpeg

welcome to the 40 club. good job.
lil rust but it'll buff out.
i have zero rust but i empathize. nice interior.

Wow. That is quite the rust repair measure! What's your plan from this point?

Some of those heater hard lines are... crunchy

Nice truck though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom