First FJ40 build in a long time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Um... What do FOD and WOT stand for?
Fake Over Drive? Fairly Odd Driver?
With Out Transmission? Wildly Obsessive Teacher?

If I can get those two items explained I may just be able to understand your comments. Remember... ignorant. Not stupid.

But yes I believe the carb was put together at least poorly. The rear spring was definitely keeping the 2nd from opening.

Yes, the system is charging. One new battery replacing the old new battery fixed it.

All HAIL the @Trollhole! He doesn't realize it but his carb saved the day here. Who needs a small anchor for their boat? I have a perfectly good (looking) FJ60 carb I'd like to put at the bottom of the ocean. @Vae Victus once again was nice enough to loan me a part that he's not going to need for a while. After about a week of trying to figure out the FJ60 mess that was most likely built wrong, a quick swap last light and a quick lap around the pasture, WOW!!! POWER!!!

Picks after my meeting this morning.

Last edited:
Haven't driven the Cruiser on the road with the new carb yet but will today. Right after rewiring the single wire to a two wire plug, time to revert back to one.
Oh well...

carbs b4 aft.jpg

Ohhhhh boy, it barely fits in my garage.

65 miles on the new engine now. Runs better and better every day.

IMG_2805.JPG

Ahahahaaaa... It only has to go in there one or two more times. Remember, it's not living here.

The short list changes daily but getting shorter all the time.
(Red is completed.)
(Green is issue.)

Remove passenger seat and find source for gas fumes. Fixed. I just need a test drive.
Solve rear marker light failure problem. Blows the fuse.
Solve license lights problem. Doesn't come on.
Remake hard fuel line to carb. In the way of factory filter housing. Done
Blast air filter housing.
Take to powder coating source.
Paint portion that can't be baked.
Install air filter and be done with the engine compartment. Done
Remove rear heater for repair. Leaks pretty badly. Removed.
Make rubber pad for stock console bottom. Done. Used matching rubber from rear mat.
Do something with the sun visors. Mold stains just won't come off. Krylon Fusion paint?
Find out why blinkers work on front and on dash but not in rear. Now it's 3/4. Bulb?
Fabbricate mount for power steering pump.
Install washer bottle and hook up wire and hose connections.
Wiper motor works with direct power but not when hooked up. What gives?
Take new ID plates to trophy shop for letter/number stamping.

Last edited:
OH! While I was about to take the Cruiser out of a few more break in miles and get small parts, Lee called me. (You know, the guy I thought was gonna be the owner before Mom stepped up but still says HE'S gonna drive it) Anyway, he was just around the block (blocks are about 7 to 10 miles around out here) and I told him "DON'T MOVE!" I drove it up to him and saw the face of one happy camper. Made my day again. He took it for a spin and to make a long story short, he said the next project would be his CJ5. Not to this level at all but a shake down and clean up I guess. Hey, more work! More income! But I reminded him of the "next" project that I proposed for the new business he's starting. Take a good look at my proposal for his "rolling billboard". I believe he'll get one some time. I wan't my '32 to have a big brother...

LCD delivery truck A.png

Should be breaking ground any day now. The crap with the county is over. After 3 stinkin' years! We just have to get the guy to bring the big guns over and get started.

Crazy busy with too many things to do but got the new air cleaner back from my favorite powder coating buddies. Looks better than I thought. Out to buy new fuel lines today so I can redo my feed line to the carb. I originally thought I would be doing an aftermarket filter set up so I wasn't concerned with the area this cleaner needs. No biggie. I know someone who can bend that right up with no probs.

Air cleaner assy.jpg

This shot is on the barn floor but when I fixed the contrast the floor bleached right out. A shot installed will be included when I post the final chapter of the build. Stay tuned. It's bound to be soon.

Okay, those that be, I'm a little confused about the model code on the FJ40. Here's why.
Research shows more than one solution on what's what... from 3 different sources:
A) FJ40LV - KCJA for example fj40,L = left hand drive , V = hard top model, J = 4 spd ,C = C type rear doors, J - ?? , A = U.S.A.or Canada
B) L is Left hand drive. I agree. V = Van/Hard Top, K = 4 speed, C = Amby doors, J = Roll bar?, A - (North) America
C) LV- yeah yeah, KCJA is some mix of: N America, 4 sp., Hard top, Amb doors, Roll bar.

Which one is not in there and what order is correct?

Last edited:
Back to the two step - one step thing. But you know, that's what "shakedown" time is all about. It's a good thing I'm the one driving this truck around for the first 150 miles or so. Latest item is I've noticed a gas fume smell since the first time I got back in the truck after the first time I added gas. Over the last few weeks I've tried several things to solve it but had to finally pull the passenger seat and everything else on that side including the tank cover and solve this for good. Found one spot a better clamp would help but that's it. Put it all back together with confidence and went out to fill 'er up again. My reaction time is slower than it used to be I'm sure but it only took 0.8gal for me to reach over and shut it off. Almost ALL of the gas was pouring out the bottom of the Cruiser. I may have gotten half of the gas I bought in it but not much better. Time to take the right side out again. Once the seat was out and I could reach under the filler neck I found this. Completely hidden from view. (dammitman!)
photo.jpeg

I called Cool Cruisers and talked to Manny and it sounded like he was going to help me out. He asked for a picture and I sent him this. I sure hope he helps soon. The truck is immobile right now...

Last edited:
1) Manny fixed me right up! No fumes. No leaks. What a relief.

2) After an early men's group meeting and showing off the Cruiser and getting a few more miles in on the break in period, I dropped by the Kennedy house and called the Mrs up and asked her if she was home.
"Yes."
"Step outside. I have something for you."
"Isn't that Beautiful!" She said with enthusiasm.
She even hopped in in her PJs and robe. Then the grandkids jumped in and gave the jump seats a test. I'm glad I went by. She's recovering from nasal surgery that I had no idea about and is slowly recovering. I hate it for her. But she said her migraines are much fewer and farther in between. I'll bet most of you would enjoy her. She's a real pistol. I got to go fishing with the family in the gulf and Gayle caught the biggest fish of the day... And that's saying something.

Anyway, still have a few more things to go but with a little over 200 miles on the new motor, things are gong well. I even got asked if I would sell it this morning. I told him it would take 50k but it's not mine to sell. He didn't even blink.

Last edited:
I meant to do this a while ago. Here's a chart for those of us who don't do this all the time and can't remember it by heart. This is my version of how to quickly do the valve adjustment on a 2F. I hope it makes sense to you all. Maybe my brain thinks sideways. So if you want to keep this and stuff it in your tool chest or something, go ahead. It sure helped me when I had to learn it for the first time.

Just make sure you KNOW you're at Top Dead Center when you start. (It should be fairly easy. When it's impossible to adjust one of the first set, you know you're off by one full rotation. Gee, ask me how I know.)

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 5.37.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Are you sure those clearances aren't reversed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom