Fireball's 3rd gen 4R - suspension advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fireball

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all!

I know we have a few other club members who own 3rd gens and I wanted to say hello and ask for some help. Just picked this truck up all the way out in CO, it's got just over 200k miles, 5 spd with e-locker and in pretty decent shape.

71960510087__150B7054-2DBD-43F2-BFFC-5FD83F1BDABE.jpg

I'd like to do a full baseline on it. I ordered a new icon suspension setup for it and would like to ask your recommendations for what all additional bits and pieces to replace while the suspension work is being done. Here's the list so far, but please let me know what else i should add, and bonus points for a recommendation for where to purchase at a decent price!:

Thanks in advance for any help!

71960115744__D4E39E82-E20F-4ED3-A07C-28C04517EA07.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, what a lovely 3rd gen! 99-00? I need your ECU and Harness for my 5spd swap! 😂
Welcome again to the 3rd gen ownership! I do love this generation, really good platform.

Before I forget
NEW FRONT LOWER BALL JOINTS WITH NEW OEM HARWARE TORQUED TO SPEC WITH RED LOCTITE
This is very often overlooked and is a common failure point but a super simple repair that can save a life!
I actually switched my Lower Ball Joints and Tie-Road Ends to ones from the same era Tacoma, they seem to be a little beefier where the tie rod and joint meet. I Sourced Moog replacements for these, it all comes to personal preference, Part Number for the lower ball joint bolts is: 90105-10406

I know its a Colorado truck, but double check the rear lower link mounts just above them, frame starts to get weak here no matter how well the truck looks and if it spends any time near moisture.

I would just go ahead an order lower control arms, the cams will probably be seized in place.
Look to do the same mod to the steering rack as the Tacoma of that generation. it replaces the rollers with a bushing and tightens up the feel of the steering.
Here is a video on the how to for the rack that also has links to the parts required:

You said Icon Suspension, I presume a lift kit? I would look to get extended links front and rear, you can stick with stock links in the rear if you can source the Sonoran Steel Rear sway bar relocation kit that moves the bar up. Here are some links to that and other products I run from Sonoran:

Do you know the history of maintenance?
If not, at 200K is a good base line to get the timing belt, water pump, pulleys all switched out, along with spark plugs and wires, look at the valve cover gaskets, them as well as the cam seals and half moons will probably need to be resealed. Coolant flush would be a good todo too if they are still running Toyota Red in the system.

I am not sure of your final goal but little things that just make the truck a little more pleasant to operate, look to upgrade the front brakes to the 05-06 Tundra rotors and calipers, little more stopping power and less likely to warp in the PA hills. I run Power Stop rotors and Akebono Pads for that year Tundra. As far as sourcing Calipers, that is all personal preference, however if you, like me, think bigger is a little better, look for the calipers marked 13WL, these are the bigger calipers of that generation tundra and offer a little more meat on the pad.

I have a lot more that I need to think about, at work right now but when I get a little more free time I will try to provide links to some of the aforementioned items!

I second what Rich said about OPT Off-Road, really good products but can start down a rabbit hole of $$$ 😂

Last edited:
There are a lot of parts on the Opt Off-road site for 3rd Gen 4Runners but it all depends on your budget and what you plan on doing with your 3rd Gen.

Duro Bumps (Extended Dump Stops)
Overland Customs Extended endlinks
OEM Rack and Pinion ( if leaking) with upgraded Energy Suspension poly urethane bushings
555 inner and outer tie rods or OEM

@YotaFun, @Rics4rnr - many thanks for your quick reply!

I will definitely add the LBJs and LCAs to the list. I assume both of these OEM is the best option? I did already purchase the Icon stage 2 kit 96-02 4RUNNER 0-3 - https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/11647/icon%2Daccessories%2D96%2D02%2D4runner%2D0%2D3%2Dstage%2D2%2Dsuspension%2Dsystem/

My goal is to use this truck as a fun daily driver, and be capable to bounce around the trails up here in VT. Tire size is still TBD…. I am debating b/w the KO2s in 255/75/17 size (load range C, 32.1x10”, 46# per corner) vs the Toyo Open Country AT3 in 255/80/17 (load range E, 33.1x10”, 50# per corner)…

I will end up doing a full baseline on the vehicle, but for now just trying to order the parts and pieces that will be done along with the suspension work!

@Rics4rnr help me out with the Opt Off-Road order please!

@brian - considered a 1st gen '85 but this truck will get driven back and forth b/w PA and VT so felt the 3rd gen was the better choice.

Ouch, $3,500 later...

Was wondering about this truck the other day. I'm pretty sure @TRFCSUX sent pics of mine after the lift but I went with 5100's and 883/891s. I did OEM LBJs with ARP hardware from Anonymous Fab and @eimkeith 's PCK as well. Sitting on 285/70/17 KO2s. Let me know if you end up building the drawers still, I'm interested something similar
image5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone, you pushed me in the right direction.

OEM parts ordered: steering rack, LCAs, LBJs, flange bolts, TREs, cam bolts and a fancy new shift knob.
from OPT OFF ROAD: forged ball joint sway bar end links, and the durobumps.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.... will save up for round 2 all the baselining..... TB/WP/belts/hoses/sensors/clutch/fluids/etc!

@riley76865 - your 4R looks great, so clean and I really like the stance and tire size! What size spare do you have under there?

Thanks for the help everyone, you pushed me in the right direction.

OEM parts ordered: steering rack, LCAs, LBJs, flange bolts, TREs, cam bolts and a fancy new shift knob.
from OPT OFF ROAD: forged ball joint sway bar end links, and the durobumps.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.... will save up for round 2 all the baselining..... TB/WP/belts/hoses/sensors/clutch/fluids/etc!

@riley76865 - your 4R looks great, so clean and I really like the stance and tire size! What size spare do you have under there?
Thanks! No spare in the stock location, one place I read said 33's wouldnt fit so I didn't bother. It's just been riding in the back

20220925_115926_Original.jpeg
20220925_115931_Original.jpeg
20230705_125607_Original.jpeg
20230705_125615_Original.jpeg
Thanks! No spare in the stock location, one place I read said 33's wouldnt fit so I didn't bother. It's just been riding in the back
Just some options to mount 33’s, I built a square tube trunk mount tire carrier and I switch to a rear hitch mount tire carrier
IMG_2823.jpeg
IMG_2824.jpeg
20230710_112644_Original.jpeg
when I go off-roading.

Looks good, how is the interior one mounted on the front? I saw that Bell Fab makes the interior one but im holding out for a Nguyen Works bumper
The interior is mounted to the tie down rings bolts and i built the rear bumper by flipping the rear hitch and plated around it using the factory bumper molding.

@Rics4rnr @YotaFun Can you guys please help me out with the tundra brake upgrade parts? It seems there's some conflicting information out there and I want to make sure to order all the correct bits and pieces!

I am still debating 32s vs 33s, but either way the truck needs new brakes and some additional stopping power will be a welcome upgrade!

.....this is the article that seemed the most thorough, but some of his P/Ns don't match what I am currently finding on partsourq?

Looked briefly between partsouq and McGeorge and I'm seeing the same p/n's for rotors, calipers (N/A on partsouq however), pads, and for shims the P/N in the article superseded the ones listed on partsouq according to McGeorge.

What year Tundra did you search for? 231mm 13WL calipers should be on any 03-05 4x4 V8 to my knowledge

@Rics4rnr @YotaFun Can you guys please help me out with the tundra brake upgrade parts? It seems there's some conflicting information out there and I want to make sure to order all the correct bits and pieces!

I am still debating 32s vs 33s, but either way the truck needs new brakes and some additional stopping power will be a welcome upgrade!

.....this is the article that seemed the most thorough, but some of his P/Ns don't match what I am currently finding on partsourq?

My 4Runner is at work right now, I will double check the castings tomorrow and try to get some updates part numbers.

I sourced all my stuff from rock auto to be honest. I use Akebono pads which I believe are who manufacturers the Toyota pads

Thanks guys, i believe i got everything ordered correctly!

OEM front rotors, calipers, pads and shims for a 2005 Tundra v8.
CVJ for front axles (oem units no longer available) 9168 TR - CVJ Axles - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9168-tr/
and some SS front brake lines from another vendor 4Runner Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines | ADVENTURETACO - https://adventuretaco.com/product/4runner-stainless-steel-brake-lines-for-tundra-brake-upgrade/

I really miss the days of calling @OGBeno and just telling him to do his thing!

Thanks guys, i believe i got everything ordered correctly!

OEM front rotors, calipers, pads and shims for a 2005 Tundra v8.
CVJ for front axles (oem units no longer available) 9168 TR - CVJ Axles - https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9168-tr/
and some SS front brake lines from another vendor 4Runner Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines | ADVENTURETACO - https://adventuretaco.com/product/4runner-stainless-steel-brake-lines-for-tundra-brake-upgrade/

I really miss the days of calling @OGBeno and just telling him to do his thing!
I'm sorry, I got completely side tracked this week with some personal vehicle issues. Glad you got everything figured out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom