Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there any truth to the rumor that with a Sag pump the steering box will usually start to leak as a result of the higher pressure?
Or should a proper sag conversation include a box rebuild? Does west Texas off road still rebuild the steering boxes? I have a spare ps box that I wanted them to rebuild but the shipping was a killer. There is a local place that does rebuilding but I was not sure how experienced they were with LC boxes. Are they complicated to rebuild?

There is a possibility that the box might leak. They are fairly old, and have been in use for a long time. The old seals may have enough strength left for the old, worn out pump, but a new pump may prove excessive.

Either way, that's absolutely not a reason to avoid the conversion.

If anything, it would just expose a problem you had but didn't know about yet.

Does the air pump right below the power steering pump go untouched? Any involvement at all with a smogged 2F?

Georg.... you and I have been back and forth about this for a LOOOOOOG time... I am glad to see you are finally there... can't wait for an actual product release...

mark

Another question with the Saginaw pump and the Toyota steering box, do you convert to actual PS fluid or do you stick with ATF?.

I need to change out my stock pump very soon.

Another question with the Saginaw pump and the Toyota steering box, do you convert to actual PS fluid or do you stick with ATF?.

I need to change out my stock pump very soon.

ATF

Toyota used PS fluid and not ATF from the factory. But you can run either, they both work well.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

The Toyota ps boxes are fairly easy to rebuild. Usually it's the input seal that gets old and looses its elasticity causing the leak. They're cheap and easy to replace.
The guys at West Texas Offroad have rebuilt a bunch of boxes for me and do a good job. Fwiw, you can fit a PS box in a large USPS flat rate box and ship it for $18.65 just make sure you pack it properly ( if the part is restrained and can't move then it won't beat it's way out of the box ) and use liberal amounts of packing tape.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I run synthetic ps fluid with no issue

Nice! IMHO, the Saginaw pumps are superior to the Toyota ones. And if you have larger tires, they especially rock. I got one on my 60 and love it.

When the time comes Georg I have a couple of cores for you!!! Actually I have a couple of PS pumps as well, one in the truck works right now but it was a junkyard pull so who knows how long that will last.

Quick question, is the new PS/ALT belt that you supply in the kit same length as the OE or different?

Nice work here, Georg. Looking forward to this... except I also have to ask, how about the smog pump? From the pic it appears to still be in place but I gotta ask.

Bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom