Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My original radiator in the past developed pin hole cracks that leaked on the top tank. I took it to a radiator shop and he did patch them up while the radiator was in the truck. All they do is drain the tank enough so there's no coolant in the top, then apply some solder with a propane torch to the cracks. It lasted for a year or so, but pinhole leaks & cracks are really just messengers (like rotten planks on a ship) telling you that it's corroded from the inside out and soon you'll need a new radiator.

My original radiator in the past developed pin hole cracks that leaked on the top tank. I took it to a radiator shop and he did patch them up while the radiator was in the truck. All they do is drain the tank enough so there's no coolant in the top, then apply some solder with a propane torch to the cracks. It lasted for a year or so, but pinhole leaks & cracks are really just messengers (like rotten planks on a ship) telling you that it's corroded from the inside out and soon you'll need a new radiator.
SSsshhhhhhh.... quiet you. We don't want any of your LOGIC here!!

Just dropped her off and owner said he would give me a call a little later today. Bummed we wont be able to take her on the annual Xmas Tree hunting trip this year but would rather have it fixed than not.

hqdefault.jpg

Just got the call. She is dead, seam has split at the top cap and a couple other spots that are unrepairable.
He can get me another brass core radiator for $550 plus labor and everything I am looking at between $700 and $800.

I bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon.

Buy the cheapest one, replace all your coolant hoses (you may have already while you had the head off) while you're there and then bleed the system.

Forget about cooling issues for a few years.

Yup.... Luckily the only hoses that haven't been replaced since I did the head was the upper and lower rad hoses.
Looks like Partsgeek is the cheapest, cheap shipping ($7 freight) and even has a $15 off code. So looks will be just over $350 to get it here.

EDIT: Ordered.. cost was $352.97 out the door with the coupon. Says it comes with free shipping, 3-7 business days and probably take a couple business days to process. So figuring first full week of December I should have it. Until then I will keep her to driving locally and biking to work while I have the chance.

Last edited:
I found that OEM is still available but landed in the US is around $600..
Yeah I saw the same thing. Can’t afford that right now so going with the CSF, can’t go wrong with $350.

The cap that fits is just not the one you have :rimshot:

Good luck getting the old rad out, it took me some time, then paint and rust removal, then engine out, you know it.
My new rad with new hoses with old clamp got me headached three times when the hose popped off, no broken headgasket :notworthy: it was just not snug enough, got a clamp with a screw.

Thinking of grabbing the kit from SOR, this guy from SOR for $80+ but comes with two other hoses and clamps. Or would Napa hoses suffice?
054-02K-KIT-big.jpg

I got my rad cap from Onur a long time ago so don't remember what p/n it was. Actually I need to put in an order with him anyways for something from the 4Runner so maybe I will just tack this stuff on.

And Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope you all have a great day, filled with love, laughter, family and lots and lots of Food!! If you go start your Black Friday shopping tonight or tomorrow please be safe and drive carefully.

So I thought the the front clip disassembly was mentioned at being in the manuals, but I cannot seem to find. Anyone know WHICH manual?

Nevermind I was just being dumb and kept looking in the body/chassis manuals.

Last edited:
Tracking number shows that the new rad will be delivered TODAY!!! And here I thought I was going to be waiting at least until today to get the order processed seeing as I ordered it on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

Anyways, I shot an email to Onur but saw that he is only working part time right now due to recovering from some medical stuff. I figured that I would have a little time to get an order in with him but looks like not. While the wife and I are gone this weekend I want to get this done ASAP as the truck is being kept to just short jaunts around town. Luckily the split is at the seam at the very top of the rad so I can still get some pressure going in the system just not a lot.

I have the following part numbers that I believe are correct for the 3 items I know that I will need to replace..
Radiator Cap - 16401-41021
Upper Radiator Hose - 90916-01172
Lower Radiator Hose - 16571-61090

Can someone please verify these numbers for me. Only ones that I have question on are the Lower and Rad. Cap.

Thinking of grabbing the kit from SOR, this guy from SOR for $80+ but comes with two other hoses and clamps. Or would Napa hoses suffice?
054-02K-KIT-big.jpg

I got my rad cap from Onur a long time ago so don't remember what p/n it was. Actually I need to put in an order with him anyways for something from the 4Runner so maybe I will just tack this stuff on.
Most except my top hose are all Napa. No issues the on times I’d driven it. No leaks either from the spring clamps either. And I got my rad cap from the dealer for my CSF.

Cap p/n I have is 16401-54750 from 9/1/16 $17.98
And that is the small one for the CSF?
Been thinking about just getting the Napa equivalent but was curious on the OEM price which is much more. Well other than waiting and shipping.

And that is the small one for the CSF?
Been thinking about just getting the Napa equivalent but was curious on the OEM price which is much more. Well other than waiting and shipping.
Yes small one. Like I said, it’s from the dealer. Pretty sure that p/n was straight from Onur on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom