Finally back on the road/trail after 5 years... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kent

Pedal Head
SILVER Star
Threads
Started with a blue 76 that was in "ok" shape. Like a lot of people here I started out intending to make a few minor mods and get it on the trail.

I soon fell victim to the "while I'm in there I may as well replace..."

FIVE years later and after a lot of doubts, frustration and work it finally came back together. It's not completely finished but it's probably 95% there :D

It was a lot of fun but I'm ready to drive it and not work on it anymore!

Details:

76 FJ40, kept the original 2f - desmogged

built a new rear tub from 10 gauge steel

wheel base stretched to 110"

custom gas tank under rear tub

fenders, bumper and roll cage are custom made by a friend

front seats are out of a Supra I think

Longfields in front

doors from Redline in Colorado

stock transmission and transfer case with Marlin Toy Box

hydro assist stear

SOA front with Proffits 4 link rear

driveshafts from Jesse at high angle

Irok 39.5 on 16" 2.5 backspace wheels

windshield frame isn't painted yet

Lots of blood sweat and tears including from a couple of friends

DSC08875.jpg

DSC08873.jpg

DSC08871.jpg

DSC08870.jpg

Now you can finish the front yard - or have you heard that before??
Nice job!
Just curious, where in South Dakota?

Last edited:
Looks awesome! What's that paint code and color?

Now you can finish the front yard - or have you heard that before??
Nice job!
Just curious, where in South Dakota?

HaHa yes! We just moved into the new house so yes the yard is now at the top of the list. We're in Rapid City.

I'll have to look again at the paint code - the can is still over at the friends' house that painted it. I don't think it had a name, just a number.

Mabey its just me but won't you need a little more under the hood to spin those 40inch Iroks? What gears are in the diffs?

Badass rig! Great work.

VERY NICE WORK!!
It Came out amazing!!
Curious as to how it handles on the road w/ the 4 link in the rear??
Any shots of the custom tank? I did one too in mine.

BTW, that color is awesome!!
One of the best I've seen for a cruiser!!

5.29's in the diffs so it gets around ok. It's no interstate cruiser thats for sure! Final ratio in lowest gear is 180:1

It handles quit nice on the road actually. I did have the front axle cut and turned. I think I posted pics of the gas tank on here somewhere. It sits up above the links and in front of the rear axle. I just welded up a rectangle and used the stock sending unit.

I really like the color too. I was going to go with white until I saw that color in the brochure. The paint is a single stage epoxy implement paint. All the black is rustoleum hammered black. Interior is bedliner.

NICE :cheers:

Hi All:

Very cool looking '40 there Kent! You did a great build! :beer:

Only thing I don't like is the front bumper (hangs too low.)

Got any action pics? :D

Regards,

Alan

Lovethe spare tire. Looks massive

That cruiser is just sick chillin there in the driveway......forget about the new house:flipoff2:...... lets just stay here in the driveway:bounce:.........lets call him "KING KONG"

Hi All:

Very cool looking '40 there Kent! You did a great build! :beer:

Only thing I don't like is the front bumper (hangs too low.)

Got any action pics? :D

Regards,

Alan

I don't have any action pics yet. I've been out 3 times with it so far but with no one to take pics.

The front bumper is plate steel that wraps just under the front spring hangers to act as a skid plate. It's probably an inch or less of clearance sacrifice. The pic does make it look like it hangs lower than it is. So far I haven't hit it on anything :D

That cruiser is just sick chillin there in the driveway......forget about the new house:flipoff2:...... lets just stay here in the driveway:bounce:.........lets call him "KING KONG"

We don't have a name yet....

A friend suggested "Squidward"

thats the most creative, functional, and cool looking front bumper ive seen yet. king kong ?? humm looks like you may have a name there.

Nicely work Kent! Congratulations on coming to the end of your journey and now being able to enjoy all your hard work. I'm just starting out on my project so I appreciate you showing me the light at the end of the tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom