February 17-20 Overlanding adventure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was there a little over 2 weeks ago, ran up around Copper Creek, Sibley and then Rug Road to Klondyke. We encountered a good amount of rain throughout the trip. No major washouts were encountered along any of the shelf roads on Rug. All of the washes and creek beds were flowing moderately at minimum but nothing too difficult to traverse. That trail is so rocky, it fairs well during heavy storms usually.

I have been through the trail in years past. Carpet hill was basically in the same condition as I remember it before, with maybe one or two spots towards the eastern base that were a bit more washed out and required some extra attention at the wheel. The one section that is rougher than previously I recall is the section of slab rock wash / trail that descends right into Turkey Creek before the switch backs.

Friday caravan to our first camp, I haven't picked a location yet. Possibly Gold Canyon but depends.
There are a couple of large flat areas right after the State Trust boundary on Copper Creek Road.
upload_2017-1-18_17-16-42.png

upload_2017-1-18_17-17-49.png

IMG_4069-small.jpg
IMG_4073-small.jpg

Very interested, @Stepmurr we should chat this weekend on the Saturday run. I need a few other ideas.

I am planning on it - really , really love this area and am looking forward to it ~

It was almost three years ago since the last CSC run of this area.
Check out the great pictures on page 4 of this thread > April 2014 ROTM Rug Road
The only nasty spot is the Slab rock trail BWesty spoke about in post above. zero dirt, just driving on cantelope + sized rocks for a while. The remaining 99.9% of the trail more than makes up for it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to more of the Overlanding experience like we had in 2016 long range runs. This always gives great chances to use more camping stuff vs, an overnight trip. Now, to lock down my RTT arrangements, literally!

I'm in,

Anything very challenging? Several of us will have camp trailers

Interested to know the answer to this. I'm planning on bringing the stock 100 for the family, but I can swap to the 80 if needed.

Yes challenges, bring the 80. Whatever is lifted , locked, and loaded

Yes challenges, bring the 80. Whatever is lifted , locked, and loaded

Hmm. I thought this was going to be a little more stocker friendly.

Lockers not necessary but definitely a few places where some technical driving and closer attention to the trail and off camber areas required. I'd suggest larger than stock tires and be prepared to grind metal or plastic on any rigs without sufficient clearance or a bad line.

Its not necessarily a stock vehicle friendly trail. Yes, a good stock Toyota 4x4 on good tires will undoubtedly complete the route but may incur some damage.

Cochise Stronghold is one of the best rock climbing destinations in AZ. I will bring my rope and gear if anyone is interested in climbing or giving me a belay! I'm also thinking about hiking to the summit of Mt Glenn in the Dragoon range and possibly some other peaks along the way as time allows. Anyone interested is free to join

Cochise Stronghold is one of the best rock climbing destinations in AZ. I will bring my rope and gear if anyone is interested in climbing or giving me a belay! I'm also thinking about hiking to the summit of Mt Glenn in the Dragoon range and possibly some other peaks along the way as time allows. Anyone interested is free to join

Im traveling to Mexico the same weekend and will miss this trip but Im very interested in climbing on the next opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom