February 17-20 Overlanding adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can get to the area via Klondike if you want to just meet up to camp. In the past this has been stocker friendly.

The plan is still being formulated but here is the general idea. Start our adventure on Friday the 17th in Mamouth AZ for a possible run over Rug Road. Camping in the area will allow some people to depart after work on Friday and it invites our club members from Southern AZ to join in the fun. Day two will either be running Rug Road from west to east to Klondike and camping in the Klondike area or if people are concerned about the road they can go around to Klondike and join up again from the east. Day three will have us running from Klondike south to Wilcox and then over to Cochise Stronghold and our last night of camping.

I plan to meet up with @Stepmurr to pre run Rug Road, based on the recent rain and wash out we may want the people with trailers to consider going around.

The idea with this trip was to overland versus a lot of four wheeling, for those of you who went on the Death Valley Days run last year this should be a similar format. By making the run in AZ we can allow members to join us for all or just parts of the run.

Still working on the exact plan but wanted to put this out there so people can start planning. @brices123 and I are also meeting to look at maps and routes to camping sites and will add the necessary details in due course. Hope to see you next month.

Steve

Hi Steve.

Now that we are closer to this amazing trip. Do we have anymore set plans on the days / runs and camping.
Want to ask some questions since this will be our first 3 day overland style camping trip. We plan to leave Friday after work so we need to know where might we be meeting everyone.

I'm sure we will be visiting fuel stations in between days to refill as our vehicles are not mpg friendly. Lol
Just wondering if we have fuel station map planned out so we can fill up and stock up on water if need be.

Thanks

I'm pre running part of the trip this weekend. The target camps for the first two nights will be posted as will gas before we embark.

In the town of Mammoth there are places to get gas, I'm checking out the Circle K. They stay open late and can be a last spot to get ice for folks coming down Friday evening. Camping the first night will be East Southest of Mammoth. Once camp is established we will get the coordinates posted

Second night will be close to Klondike,AZ. There will not be a store or gas station but most of us should have more than a half a tank of gas remaining and the next morning we will split in to two groups, the people who don't have Monday off will head home either out towards Pima or possibly south with the rest of the group and then hopping on the I-10 to head back to Phoenix.

Those that are camping Sunday night will head in to the Dragoon Mountains and Cochise Stronghold for our last night. Gas on Sunday should be near Wilcox, AZ.

Food is being discussed, but we have never run out of food. We have run out of ice, but many have fridges and Yeti style coolers so that should be less of a problem. The weather should be cool to cold at night but possibly warm in the day.

Keep checking back in on the thread more info and knowledge are gained.

We appreciate the pre run to dial in this soon-to-be-epic rotm! That's a dedicated professional right there.

Ill be heading out 3pm that Friday from central Phx if anyone else is also, let me know

Also interested in working out some shared meals. I'm going to try out Ron's Dutch Oven 3/4/5-cheese macaroni, too. Will bring stuff for the Britan's Dutch Oven peach cobbler, if nobody else wants to make it. Otherwise, it'll be Mountain House and JetBoil for me...

Also interested in working out some shared meals. I'm going to try out Ron's Dutch Oven 3/4/5-cheese macaroni, too. Will bring stuff for the Britan's Dutch Oven peach cobbler, if nobody else wants to make it. Otherwise, it'll be Mountain House and JetBoil for me...

Excellent! Ron, CJ and I are probably going to meet and discuss food plans this weekend and then we'll post a planned menu once we figure out our pieces...I think you'll be able to leave the Mountain House at home, unless you just really love 'em :confused:

Last edited:
Maybe post up a list of what others can bring? I can do plates, utensils, napkins, bowls?

Teaser shots - Tonight's sunset on the path over the Galiuro Mountains towards Klondyke and off to the west towards Tucson

7D_13325-small.jpg
7D_13340-small.jpg

I'm in for sure, got time off!

Also, the family is tagging along too.

When you say family, do you mean your four legged child or are we talking about mom and dad? It would be great to see Matt and Linda out on a run.

Cleo - Super excited for this run! We will be getting there probably a bit late for a potluck on Friday night as we are coming after work but can contribute on Saturday and Sunday night? I can make a big pot of chili and cornbread one night and maybe a side dish the other? Campfire baked potatoes with toppings? Or grilled corn?

We appreciate the pre run to dial in this soon-to-be-epic rotm! That's a dedicated professional right there.

Ill be heading out 3pm that Friday from central Phx if anyone else is also, let me know

The mention above about the circle K reminded me of something important for those with Superchargers. Only 87 octane at the Circle K in Mammoth when we went. Not even a button for anything else so I would assume it's permanent. Filling up in Winkleman a few miles up the road or Oracle just past town might be the only option.

The mention above about the circle K reminded me of something important for those with Superchargers. Only 87 octane at the Circle K in Mammoth when we went. Not even a button for anything else so I would assume it's permanent. Filling up in Winkleman a few miles up the road or Oracle just past town might be the only option.
Yes, there was only 87 octane at the Mammoth Circle K.

Well the best laid plans sometimes come undone. Rug Road is not in the cards. A good trip leader always has first hand knowledge of his trip and usually does a pre-run, which I did yesterday with @brices123 and @Stepmurr . While I ran the entire adventure UN locked , it is not a trail that drivers without a lot of experience and definitely not stocker friendly. The run started at the Circle K, 730 am. We did not reach Turkey Creek until almost 2pm. That with little to no stopping, we had lunch at Turkey Creek.

The road is a very memorable scenic route with a lot of history and sites. Someday with a small group of trucks and experienced drivers we can make a day or two of it.

So, change in plan. We will camp two nights in Turkey Creek and explore the surrounding area. There are cliff dwellings in the area and trees with running creek and plenty of fire wood......someone bring a chainsaw. The drive in to the camp has a few challenges but we believe everyone can make it. From camp to my door at home it took just over 3.5 hours, factor in a gas stop we are closer to four hours total. I promise you will not be disappointed.
image.jpeg

If a few are looking at the challenge we took, about a mile from camp is a gnarly set of steps, steep and rocky and a little off camber to let you know what it will be like.
image.jpeg

This will be a great camp spot, complete with hiking trails and cliffs to climb if you have the gear and the experience. Check in with @Shwing.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
@brices123 can you post the directions to the camp site coming in from the east? Also add a few of your pictures both you and @Stepmurr.

I will try to transfer a few over myself now.

Campsite - note the fine chunk of firewood available as long as someone brings a chainsaw (& and log splitter!)

Any volunteers?
7D_13373-small.jpg

:steer: Campsite to my house via Rug Road 32 miles - via 70 & 77 151 miles :steer:
7D_13374-small.jpg

The "bad" spot going to the campsite - bypass may be available if someone brings something to cut the brush back a little

7D_13377-small.jpg

7D_13378-small.jpg

Dusty road from Klondyke to highway 70
7D_13386-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom