Builds fat bastard build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
the marshmallow was falling apart quicker than i could keep up. i'd started welding up the control arm holes last year when i found the holes were egged out almost enough for the flange of the bolt to fit through, but the final straw was rubicon last year. it went from burning no oil to five quarts in 2000 miles. it wouldn't pass emissions. i had a short block that just needed rod bearings, but what was going to be next? the wiring was shot, rust was taking over quickly. i dreaded having to do anything because all the bolts were so rusted. it was a midwestern rig and no matter how hard you try, you can't take the midwestern out of the rig. it was time to retire it.

i picked up a 4runner for a daily driver (bad mistake...thing is flat out evil) and began watching for another 80 and band-aiding the marshmallow for any trips i needed to take. in july, i found one. a two owner from a yuppie neighborhood with a two inch thick stack of receipts for everything done to it. met almost all of my requirements, clean, rust free, grey interior, 95 and newer. only issue....it was black. and i got to find out just how freakin' hot black cars get before the winter hit. thank god the ac was in awesome condition!!! the marshmallow went on it's final run, a week long expedition to cruiserfest this year, and now sits pissing tranny fluid from god knows where while i rob peter to pay paul.

the name comes from what i've called 80s since i got into them....they are fat bastards. not only do they look it, but if you've seen an built one on a scale, you're totally with me.

so, i'm well into the build, but here's the thread. most parts are being robbed off the marshmallow since they're still good, only a few things have been bought new.

here's how he looked when he came home.
IMG_20140811_195200_054.jpg
DSC08516.JPG

first thing i did was pull the running boards. second thing i did was break the seat valve sliding out of the seat d'oh!!!

main portion of the roof rack went bye bye too, for now, just plugged with fipg and screws.

a hazard button replaced the blank for the cdl and the 7 pin mod was done. i thought of robbing the actual cdl switch out of the mm, but i needed to keep everything the way it was for the cruiserfest expo, so i only did things that didn't involve robbing parts yet.

the grill and headlight trim all got blacked out since it didn't look anywhere near as good as it does in the pic above ;)
DSC08518.JPG
DSC08519.JPG
DSC08565.JPG
DSC08566.JPG
DSC08577.JPG

the gutter trim and the lower window sill wipers were all like serrated edge knives, so the gutter trim went in the scrap bin and i put a call into cdan for all four new lowers. i also splurged and bought a new carpeted piece for inside the center console...mine was just a bit scuzzy.

i had driven it a few times now and realized how dependant i was on the auto up/down window mod...so i ordered a resistor thingy and soldered it in too. while i had things apart, i went a bit further and pulled the front windows to put some cheap window tint in. a pro job is in the future, but i'd just spent all my money on the rig and had an upcoming vacation coming, so had to keep the dollars low. but i dont' think it's anybodys business what's in my rig either.
DSC08770.JPG
DSC08771.JPG
DSC08766.JPG
DSC08593.JPG

after having an led laden rig, i found the stock rig to be rather dark. so a cheap underhood light was ordered and i figured i didn't need the leds in the visors or the door courtesy lights for cruiserfest, so i swapped those over. i also pulled a rear grab handle to put over the drivers door
DSC08773.JPG
DSC08588.JPG
DSC08790.JPG

my scangauge was in the mm, but i had an ultra guage too, so i decided to mount that up. i also hate the meep meep horns, so fiamm freeway blasters replaced those. i'd just bought a new ironman fridge a few months ago, but didn't really like how it was setup...thankfully, cruiseroutfitters donated an arb 50qt to the raffle at cruiserfest and i won!!! score!!!! but it's a lot taller and putting it on my old cubby would mean not being able to open the fridge. and i didn't like my cubbies anyways. and slee was having a blowout on black widow drawers for the 200 series and they kind of fit the 80 series...soooo, i broke out the credit card
IMG_20140816_192537_014.jpg
DSC08592.JPG
DSC08906.JPG

Are you tall enough to reach it?
:flipoff2:

Drawers look kick ass!!
bite me...when i'm sitting in the seat, yeah

totally loving the drawers. the wing kit isn't wide enough for the 80 so there's a slight gap, which for now i'm ok with except that the front loose tops, don't stay in place (well, one does because it's under the fridge, but the other doesn't). thinking of putting small magnets to help. sits at least two inches lower than my cubby did and i have everything and then some that i had in and around the cubbies with lots of room to spare. i was too short to reach stuff in the back of the cubbies, so drawers are super nice for that.

so now cruiserfest was over, but i didn't have money for a few things i needed to do the lift, so i progressed with other stuff, like the depo headlights, marker lights and taillights with my cree backup bulbs. while on the lighting, i did the third domelight mod and swapped over my rear tailgate panel with my trucklight model 33
leds and to cut back on the hideous reflection off the hood when driving to work, i plastidipped the hood. i'll have to redo it as it didn't hold up to a hot pressure washer the other day, but it was more important to get the mag chloride off my rig.
DSC08777.JPG
DSC08779.JPG
DSC08911.JPG
DSC08833.JPG

and delancy will appreciate this ;)

the gold fulltime 4wd had to go
DSC08809.JPG

bite me...when i'm sitting in the seat, yeah

Hey, you're the one that chose the offensive thread title.....well, to some of us, at least. Bahahaha.

and delancy will appreciate this ;)

You, of all, should know how hard good badging is to obtain.

Well, now you've gone and done it, 'cause they'll be a copying, further rendering them into unobtanium status.

Bahahaha.

Off topic, but this is the 80 board...

Not Pig-ish, but a semi-throwback to another era, that you may appreciate.

image.jpg

Now, if only I could get the back glass to roll down.....

Looking good!

Are you tall enough to reach it?
:flipoff2:

Drawers look kick ass!!

More like, are you tall enough to bang your head on it?:bang:

I've always wanted to put a grabhandle above the driver's seat, but the roof isn't high enough. I'd have to wear a helmet:confused::eek:

Very informative build. Just stay tuned for all the goodies.

DSC09121.JPG
2011-08-21_19-43-29_467.jpg
someone had asked for a full shot of the back with the pig emblem. i think i liked it mounted higher up on the white one.

Not Pig-ish, but a semi-throwback to another era, that you may appreciate.

View attachment 968661

Now, if only I could get the back glass to roll down.....
rear rolldown window could be fun, but i always hated how everything blew in from the back...i open the sides to vent out.

why the sunroof delete? to avoid leakage? i love my sunroof.

More like, are you tall enough to bang your head on it?:bang:

I've always wanted to put a grabhandle above the driver's seat, but the roof isn't high enough. I'd have to wear a helmet:confused::eek:
at 5'2", i can barely see over the steering wheel. don't think i'll ever even come close to hitting my head on it ;)

Just so ya know, the trim around the front marker lamps that you painted black comes off with 4 Philips screws each and is easier to paint that way than masking off the lense...

Dig the black though, shoulda came that way from the factory!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom