Wanted Fairey Overdrive PTO Gear wanted. Give me some love mud! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all you Mudder folks out there! (Could've had some fun word play there but I'll keep it classy) Share the love and sell me your Fairey Overdrive PTO gear that your broken down Fairey isn't utilizing pretty please! If you know any member who might have one, be a gent send them my way. Mark from Mark's Off Road sold his last one. Thanks in advance for your help! Best community out there. Thanks IH8MUD!

Gene~

Gene,
Any leads on this gear yet?
I'm in the same boat, looking for a Fairey OD PTO gear. My rig came with the OD, now I want to add the PTO...

Gene,
Any leads on this gear yet?
I'm in the same boat, looking for a Fairey OD PTO gear. My rig came with the OD, now I want to add the PTO...
I got nothin' brother. I even called Superwinch (previously Fairey) and the gentleman in Massachusetts even reached out to some of the guys in England at the plant and nobody knows nothin'. If you find something let me know!

I have dubbed this gear the "Unicorn Gear", people have heard of it/got a p/n for it, but nobody's ever seen one..
Somewhere buried in the forum there is a post (I don't remember the author) who said that although there is a p/n, he didn't believe that any were ever made (or a special order item - my words). Kinda makes sense, if you had the PTO (& winch) you probably weren't worried about highway driving and vice versa.
Seems to me that the reasonable option is to take all the gear measurements and see how much it would cost to fab one...
My O/D has a cracked case (previous owner put the wrong filler plug in, and it leaks there). I'm trying to get this frame off resto finished, so I will probably shelve the O/D for now. But I will still work on taking gear measurements...

I have dubbed this gear the "Unicorn Gear", people have heard of it/got a p/n for it, but nobody's ever seen one..
Somewhere buried in the forum there is a post (I don't remember the author) who said that although there is a p/n, he didn't believe that any were ever made (or a special order item - my words). Kinda makes sense, if you had the PTO (& winch) you probably weren't worried about highway driving and vice versa.
Seems to me that the reasonable option is to take all the gear measurements and see how much it would cost to fab one...
My O/D has a cracked case (previous owner put the wrong filler plug in, and it leaks there). I'm trying to get this frame off resto finished, so I will probably shelve the O/D for now. But I will still work on taking gear measurements...

It does indeed exist. I had one on my shelf for about 10 years before someone bought it. The guy I got it from picked it up from MAF back in the day when they were a stocking dealer for FAIREY.

IIRC, @Living in the Past cleaned them out, also many many years ago

When Man-A-Fre made the decision to stop working on the Fairey overdrives because thee was no longer any parts support they planned to take everything and sell it for scrap metal. I got a phone call from someone asking if I would be interested. I already had a few complete units and figure why not still replacement parts were drying up fast. Pretty sure this was still in the nineties. There may have been one PTO gear in the parts from Man-A-Fre at the most. I know there was no complete overdrives. Sold two of my complete overdrives years ago. The rest of the stuff sat outside and rusted up.

Just kidding it's all in boxes sitting on pallet shelving in my second garage. Has to be at least a couple hundred pounds. The boxes are now buried over six feet up. I've tried for years with no luck to get the four studs that are needed to mount them to transfer case. Other things like bearings I have tons of. The one on eBay currently does not have the stock shift lever. Pretty sure I have those as well if someone here buys it.

That's what I get for reading n believing stuff on the internet :notworthy:
I'll upgrade it from a "Unicorn Gear" to an "_________" (fill in the blank - rare animal name of choice, like "Albino Alligator gear").

Most of my O/D is in pretty good shape (except as previously noted). If you feel like doing some digging, I have a shopping list:
(P/N's from the Fairey manual)
#5700 - spring (Mine broke, I was going to try n use one from a Toyo transmission)
#5372 - driving sleeve (Mine has some wear on it, it's not bad, but not 100%)
#5425 - tab washer (I can make one, however if one's available...)
#5297 - Xfer gear (Mine is okay, but I have an evil plan to combine a FJ40 PTO gear with this gear - as opposed to machining a new one)
The upper housing (as previously mentioned, mine has a crack, fixable but a pain)

I can second these were really made. The transfer case these were in all the three overdrives and spacer in the ones for a four speed. The difference is on the overdrive the one from a three works in the four because it doesn't ride on the transmission tailshaft.

Finding a upper case should be easier than the PTO. Seen plenty of them being removed. But then again can't seen to get the studs off of any of them. Few years back was trying to help a member in Australia get a few pieces off one. Wasn't looking to make anything off and even tried to get the guy to deal with him direct. Only reason I offered was some don't like to ship internationally.

Not sure, but I may have an extra upper housing. A VM at the shop to remind me would be appreciated

Not sure, but I may have an extra upper housing. A VM at the shop to remind me would be appreciated

Was it ever figured out if there is a different between the top covers over the years. I know I have at least one extra housing that the few things like synchros will never be found to to complete another overdrive. I should do like Disney does with it's old classic movies and drag all the boxes down and offer parts for a short while then back on the shelve. These pictures were taken over ten years ago when I stored them inside our cabin. Once we bought a home with a second garage and installed pallet shelving I moved them back to town. Sold two of the overdrives but still have the rest helping to hold the 2X6s on the shelving in place.:rolleyes:

0003.JPG
0002.JPG

I've likely mentioned this before but there is a guy in the U.S. who now owns all the rights to the Fairey ODs. Somewhere I have his number/address. I'm moving and everything is in disarray so I can't find it right now. Could any of this stuff be made if the specs could be pried out of his hands?

I had a relative who lives on the other side of the pond contact Fairey on my behalf in the mid to late ‘90s. They said then, and to the Rover guys who asked after me that they still have all the means to do them. BUT, they insist on a 50 unit minimum production run.

My business model is slower than just about any other Cruiser business. But even I cannot absorb the shelf life that would require

I'm so thankful you all responded to my post. Thanks! Living in the Past... Are you saying that you need help moving some parts around to unbury this unicorn part? If you are serious, when I'm finished with my home construction this summer or fall I will gladly drive two states away to help you out to uncover this part. My Cruiser is my life and I will go to great lengths to acquire this Fairey PTO gear (and help your cause as well). I've been known to do crazier things. Count me in and we'll sort out details when my construction comes to a head. Thanks all for the posts. I feel honored to have received replies from some of the "Greats" in our community and hope to keep our Mud community strong for years to come.

Thanks Amigos!

Hey all you Mudder folks out there! (Could've had some fun word play there but I'll keep it classy) Share the love and sell me your Fairey Overdrive PTO gear that your broken down Fairey isn't utilizing pretty please! If you know any member who might have one, be a gent send them my way. Mark from Mark's Off Road sold his last one. Thanks in advance for your help! Best community out there. Thanks IH8MUD!

Gene~
I have the unicorn tied up in my stable....Are you looking for a 3 speed or 4 speed ? I have a very rare 3 speed gear box, transfer case, PTO and a Fairey overdrive unit. I would consider selling

I have the unicorn tied up in my stable....Are you looking for a 3 speed or 4 speed ? I have a very rare 3 speed gear box, transfer case, PTO and a Fairey overdrive unit. I would consider selling

The PTO gear is the same for all the Fairey overdrives for the one piece transfer case. As far as I know all the Fairey overdrives made to fit the three had the PTO gear. When Toyota changed to a four speed with sixteen spline tailshaft the PTO gear in the transfer case was hit or miss with most being miss. Fairey added a spacer and the PTO gear became a part needed to be purchased separately. I've only come across them in Faireys in the three speed version.

PM'd you with reply. Super excited to check out your pony! (That sounded crude)... To check out your Fairey... (Still crude).

Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to making this happen.

Hello Gents!! I am now on the lookout for a working Fairy OD for a 3 speed 2F. If anyone has a clue where one might be located - give me a shout!!

Thanks much!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom