F engine water outlet paper gasket installation order (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Quick question... I have the diaphragm from an F engine cooling system/waterpump and I noticed I did not put the gasket on the pic ( letter D) in the correct order.. I put the thermostat on the lower piece water outlet and then paper gasket on top then the upper water outlet piece with rubber o-ring.... The pic here shows the correct order -lower water outlet/paper gasket/thermostat/upper water outlet+rubber oring.. Is this a big deal? I did coat both sides of paper gasket with grey rtv and used new toyota upper and lower water outlets (so there nice and flat mating surfaces)..... Any thoughts?

Screenshot_2017-04-10-18-32-06.jpg

Last edited:
I do it like you did. Thermostat first. The SOR pic shows the same order as your pic. But the lower housing has a recess that accepts the outer edge of the thermostat. The t-stat sits down in that recess leaving a flush/flat surface for the paper gasket to lay on. I've had aftermarket gaskets with the big hole being the same diameter as the t-stat or slightly bigger. And I've had some that are slightly smaller. With the smaller hole gasket, the t-stat had to go in first or else the t-stat would pinch the gasket pushing it into the recess. The t-stat first will always work.

054B4b.jpg

What year? It's different on the pre-'67s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom