Expedition trailer made from FJ40 tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you feel about matching paint?
IMG_20160131_144524686.jpg

you need to paint the drivers door red then

That's a good point. The darker color combined with the doors being clear coated has really made the red pop. I may abandon the patina idea and just shoot them grey, but I wanted to see how it looked first.

IMG_20160220_154234284.jpg
IMG_20160220_154255266_HDR.jpg
I painted the side doors and the top. The little white door hides 12v switched accessory plug, USB, and voltmeter.

IMG_20160218_195338682.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20160228_182814950_HDR.jpg
I bought a set of lifted springs and installed them. Now the trailer will be the same height as the 40 as soon as I upgrade the tires. Pretty close now.

I have read through all 24 pages of this today... wow. inspiring. Love the final product, although the wife was just becoming ok with a military trailer purchase. After seeing this that just won't do. The FJ40 aspect is super unique but the rest of the flow and layout is superb and well thought out regardless of what base you could have used. Yours is just that much more unique. I may attempt a more modular version out of a truck bed or something of the sort to pull behind a 100 series. Excited to see more projects with attention to detail like yours.

I have read through all 24 pages of this today... wow. inspiring. Love the final product, although the wife was just becoming ok with a military trailer purchase. After seeing this that just won't do. The FJ40 aspect is super unique but the rest of the flow and layout is superb and well thought out regardless of what base you could have used. Yours is just that much more unique. I may attempt a more modular version out of a truck bed or something of the sort to pull behind a 100 series. Excited to see more projects with attention to detail like yours.
Thank you very much! I have really enjoyed the build process from concept to this point. I have to say that this final refinement phase is the most fun as I test it out on the trail. I towed it to southern Utah last weekend and had an amazing time with the family. Each trip I think about ways to improve. For example, the plumbing hoses are quite stiff and somewhat difficult to stuff in when I pack the water heater, so I will be upgrading them soon with a smaller diameter braided stainless steel hose that is much more flexible. It has been extremely gratifying to create something useful and unique. I have learned so much. I appreciate all the positive comments that have carried me throughout the build.

I ordered tail lights and will be working on wiring when they arrive. Assembling fittings for plumbing mods. I'll keep posting if people are still following.

...on the edge of our seats, bro!

Last edited:
IMG_20160410_173400737_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160410_170915511_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160410_172038625.jpg
I just got the wiring straightened out for the tail lights today, so I thought I'd take her out for a test drive.

I built a multipurpose rack to use with the trailer. It will carry gear that won't store inside the trailer. Then when I set up camp it rotates 90° to become a table or a platform for the cooler/fridge.
IMG_20160426_170504021.jpg
IMG_20160426_173503950_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160426_173809787.jpg

I like that. I did that with a swing out carrier, table folds up inside it.

Yeah- very cool! What sizes did you use for the telelescoping tubes? Ad how did you manage the pivots?

Pete

The pivot is just a 1/2" carriage bolt centered in the basket. There are some support pieces welded perpendicular to each side of the 2" receiver tube. No telescoping pieces. The 2" piece is longer than a traditional hitch rack to allow for rotation and to clear the spare tires. I did build a 10" riser for added ground clearance.

Wow!
Just read the entire thread. Any more mods or updates?
I made some corner stabilizers. These are made from sign pole material and with the tongue jack create a very stable tripod.

I just moved back to southern Utah again so I haven't done much work on the trailer but I did buy an ducted RV furnace that I plan to install. I'm also currently looking for either a cable lift system or linear actuators to raise the top.

IMG_20170529_192116467.jpg

IMG_20170529_192204132.jpg

I have assembled all the parts and am currently building the lift mechanism. In the end I decided to go with a proven system. I purchased 4 pop up tent trailer lift posts and am retrofitting them to work with this trailer.

The posts will be fitted on the outside of the trailer with the cables routed below. All will link to an ATV winch operated with a keychain remote. If everything works out the top will raise and lower with the push of a button.

Routing lift cables under the trailer has been a challenge to have everything line up. Still running the stock axle, the differential sits in line with one of the cables. Not good. So I guess it's a good excuse to order an actual trailer axle with brakes! I'm excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom