Exhaust for 2008-2016 land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm in PHX if it turns to a go on this...2011 same as 2016?
It is same from 08-16. I spoke to mike at bbe and he told me it would take 3-4 days to mock up and fit. I have not talked to him for awhile and don't have any idea of a schedule. He told cost would be roughly 500-600 half off shelf retail of about 1200. I don't know the gains but I've always liked the sound bbe has made on other cars. My goals have been purely in search of sound, something different and hopefully more hp.

If you spend a lot of your life above 4k rpm, a full exhaust system might be worthwhile. But IMO, a 2-4% gain is still pretty small (especially for $1200 plus a bitch of an install).

Now giving it more growl (a catback system), so you can hear the beast you already have...that'll feel like a lot more for a lot less. :steer:

It might be louder than you are looking for, but I put on a Flowmaster 50 2 in 1 out without the resonator, and had a nice deep sound that was not too loud. But me being who I am, got rid of most of the pipe and did a turn down. I did this shortly after I did the turn down on the 50. I wanted something a little bit louder and figured that a 40 2 in 2 out with turn downs would do the trick. WOW! what a difference. I have to confess that it might be a little too loud. But then again I deleted 2 of the 4 cats (don't have to smog). As soon as I can get my phone to hook up to Youtube I will put a video.

Wow that's loud, sounds great though. A lot of droan at cruising speed (to much for me) that's what I loved about the borla that they don't make for us. It was very quiet while cruising but was pretty deep at WOT.

ya, I was looking at the Borla mufflers. I like the sound that they give out outside of the vehicle, but I also wanted to be able to hear it in the vehicle as well. I will confess that they drone is a little over the top with the set up right now. I am thinking about piping it out the back or the side and see if that mellows it out at all. At 2200 RPM it is perfect, but at 1700 (freeway speed) it is crazy loud.

I think I have someone to hold the phone for me today so I might be able to get an outside drive by. YAYAY

Take a recording from the back seat or even better, the third row. When I bought my 14, the previous owner had installed a Flowmaster and I had a headache by the end of the first drive. Sounded great outside but terrible inside. I had the factory exhaust from my tundra so I swapped out the muffler and all is quiet again. No throaty sound from outside like I'd like it to have but also, no more drone inside.

When I had the 40 put in there was a guy with a Camaro putting J pipes in. He said that they are suppose to get rid of the drone in the car, but keep the outside sound. I have never herd of them. I guess it is a way of routing the that has to be fabricated. No idea if it works or not.

I think that's what's called a helmholtz resonator. I had one added to my custom 4Runner exhaust to reduce the drone a few years ago. Didn't find that it did much to help that tho. Perhaps maybe some of the engineers on here can chime in on it.

Helmholtz resonators work great if done right. I have a custom BA Exhaust on my Tundra built by Kieth Carty at Dirty Deeds in Escondido, CA. There is absolutely zero drone in the cab yet it sounds as good as the TRD exhaust I had on originally when you get on the throttle. I switched because I needed the pipes to drop out above the rear axle and didn't want to cut a good pair of TRD stainless pipes. Sold them and bought from Kieth and have been please ever since.

Kieth is the one who removed the Flowmaster from my LC and put in the stock tundra muffler. I could've had him design and fab a BA Exhaust like on my Tundra but since the LC is my wifes DD, I decided to keep it quiet.

I know the Tundra muffler he makes will work on the LC, I just don't think he gets enough LC in his shop to design the pipe routing.

I'd love a straight pipe, no cats, no resonators, no muffler. Bet it would sound awesome.

I'd love a straight pipe, no cats, no resonators, no muffler. Bet it would sound awesome.

I love the sound of straight pipe, but even an old rocker like me thinks it would be a little on the loud side. Even with the 40 and deleting the back two cats I feel like it might be a little on the loud side, but it sounds GREAT!!

The roommate is home today so I think I will get a outside start up and a drive by to post later.

Hey would a 2015 trd pro tundra cat back fit a 16 land cruiser? Just the cat back part and not the tail pipes. Any thoughts?

00Y0Y_574aMAkBT4u_600x450.jpg

surprised @RS6tofj80 hasn't chimed in. check his build thread for info on the Kooks exhaust system.

I too have a @dirtydeeds cat back for 200 series. Dual Helmholtz resis. Love it. Good sounds but not too loud, no drone, and best of all it's high tuck and won't get smashed (well unless your bumper does). There's room to raise it higher too, but w/ my current stock bumper we didn't want to burn the plastic and there was no need since it will hit first. When I get a new rear bumper I'll have them bring it up a few inches. Check out the last pic of a 200 w/ a custom Slee rear, see how far the OEM hangs, liability if you ask me.

The one Keith built recently for me, he has a jig and plans to reproduce. I'm sure he'll chime in. I still need to get a vid for sounds purposes but here are some photos. BTW stock exhaust is for sale in classifieds section.
200135.jpg

I too have a @dirtydeeds cat back for 200 series. Dual Helmholtz resis. Love it. Good sounds but not too loud, no drone, and best of all it's high tuck and won't get smashed (well unless your bumper does). There's room to raise it higher too, but w/ my current stock bumper we didn't want to burn the plastic and there was no need since it will hit first. When I get a new rear bumper I'll have them bring it up a few inches. Check out the last pic of a 200 w/ a custom Slee rear, see how far the OEM hangs, liability if you ask me.

The one Keith built recently for me, he has a jig and plans to reproduce. I'm sure he'll chime in. I still need to get a vid for sounds purposes but here are some photos. BTW stock exhaust is for sale in classifieds section.
View attachment 1417632
Can you discuss the extra tubing next to the muffler and tail pipe?

It's the second Helmhotz resonator, all it does is remove a certain frequency that creates drone. When they took the truck for a spin there was a slight drone at 70mph, adding that second resonator removed the drone. The 2nd stock muffler (the one that hangs low) isn't really a muffler, it is there to further quiet/remove drone there's even a rubber piece stuck on the pipe just before (see pick below), prob does the same thing). I think some of the mudders above simply removed this part and didn't have an issues or perceived added noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom