Exhaust for 2008-2016 land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for an aftermarket exhaust for my 2016 land cruiser. I am not having any luck. No one has built on for it yet that I know. Billy Boats (b&b) in Arizona will custom do one but they need a vehicle for 3-5 days to design one and I am too far away from there. Does anyone know of an exhaust and any other performance parts for the 5.7 land cruiser?

I don't know of anyone that markets an exhaust system, sorry I can't help.

I'm curious why you'd want a new exhaust on such a new truck.

OEM exhausts are notorious for being restrictive (and too quiet!) I would be very interested in a catback for the LC, and/or one to bolt up to the Doug Thorley headers.

I am also interested in one, can't seem to find one online that made for the 4.6L engine.

Did that exhaust build that was in the works here fall through? Seems like it was just about done, with numerous folks wanting to buy in, but then I don't remember if it ever came to be. Was it jowett? Can't remember now.

Last edited:
I'm in PHX if it turns to a go on this...2011 same as 2016?

I would have a hard time spending money to lose the stock exhaust. It's a wonderfully built fully stainless steel unit that scavenges the exhaust gasses extremely well.

If you increase tube size, without a need for it (like a massive engine modification) then the increased tube size will allow exhaust gases to travel slower and lose the ability to create an effect that pulls the gases out of the engine rather than the engine having to waste energy to push them out. That's the scavenging term I mentioned earlier.

So if you want sound increase, just cut the rear resignator off (even though that is there to eliminate the last bit of drone that Toyota knows about)

Sorry to be that guy that when someone asks about a product, they just get on a try and change everyone's mind, but I could help myself. I've built quite a few motors, pushing 1,500 hp and the idea of exhaust being restricted is very mislead.

Now if you want it loud because you want it loud, that is another thing.

I deleted my resonator and can detect no audible difference. Did that for a different reason but no extra noises have been noticed.

I deleted my resonator and can detect no audible difference. Did that for a different reason but no extra noises have been noticed.
And I will remove mine also for a better departure angle, agree with you guys that you can't notice it. But that said Toyota doesn't put one on the much cheaper tundra because of cost, and with the much less insulation because of the truck bed, the 5.7 creates a drone that Toyota acknowledges is there. Lost of small things come together to make suttle changes.

Last edited:
I'll try and find a pictures of a 5.7 muffle I cut open, I "looks" like nothing could flow through it, but air and pressure and temperate do some amazing things that engineers understand and the aftermarkets exploits for profit under misguided information.

It's like k&n air filters and cold air intakes, people think they help, they do, if you are in the 700hp world, not a stock motor even with a simple blower making 500hp at the crank, and only 400-450 at the RW.

Again I'm sorry about taking this tread a wrong direction, and this is a good group of people on this forum, I just have an annoying opinion about engine building and power that I can't help sometimes.

I'll try and find a pictures of a 5.7 muffle I cut open, I "looks" like nothing could flow through it, but air and pressure and temperate do some amazing things that engineers understand and the aftermarkets exploits for profit under misguided information.

It's like k&n air filters and cold air intakes, people think they help, they do, if you are in the 700hp world, not a stock motor even with a simple blower making 500hp at the crank, and only 400-450 at the RW.

Again I'm sorry about taking this tread a wrong direction, and this is a good group of people on this forum, I just have an annoying opinion about engine building and power that I can't help sometimes.

Always good to hear both sides, Taco. Engine noobs like me? We appreciate the discussion.

Taco so you are saying with a TRD/Magnuson supercharge on the 5.7 that an upgraded exhaust isn't going to help with the HP or MPG?

Taco so you are saying with a TRD/Magnuson supercharge on the 5.7 that an upgraded exhaust isn't going to help with the HP or MPG?
Well it depends on what you mean by upgraded. Replacing a cartridge style muffler that is OEM for a 200 series with a strait through design will allow a smoother path for the gasses, you just haven't gotten to the point where an increase in tube diameter is going to help, in fact it will hinder. That's the big problem, aftermarket everything is... bigger is better, well no, the right size is the right size. So I'm not saying a glass pack isn't going to make more power, it will, but the motor isn't upgrade to some wonderful level of power and efficiency with a simple bolt out bolt in. If it was, the manufactures would just use that from the beginning in this age of high MPGs and increased power while maintaining emissions.

So you take a 5.7, slap a blower on top of it, tune the engine use the increased pressure properly. Okay, but your throttle body is the same, intake manifold the same, same stroke, same bore, same fuel delivery of pump, same timing and not advanced, same internal temps from the thermostat, same heads, same catalytic converts, all controlled through a computer that is doing everything it can to never open the engine up past 70% of what it can do for longevity reasons and emissions. So how much more gasses are you putting out.

So can I get 1000hp out of a 5.7? hell yea. But a little part hear and a little part there is sadly not going to do much other than make you feel better and take money.

So to answer the question, you'll make a hp number or two at above 5,000 rpm. Anything below 3,500 or about, nope.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned if folks did not question things, discussion is always good. The stock system is well designed for what it is... Easy to manufacture, price, low sound, acceptably long lasting by Land Cruiser standards, fits in the available space, meets emissions, and flows well enough to hit the hp target of 383 hp on mid octane fuel. We have a large body of evidence that some serious quantities of power are hiding in the 5.7 engine, even in normally aspirated form (no supercharger). The key here is tube size w/o destroying part throttle torque. Generally, the larger we go, the more we can gain at larger throttle openings and more RPM. The muffler I have for this system was designed by Borla for an OEM performance V8 application. Two in, one out, similar principles in sound reduction, but better gas flow. Will it be life altering, like the TRD charger, no, but a good ball park on gains is 8hp + or -, maybe 15 on a supercharged engine with the 3" tailpipe in place of the 2.75" (same as stock) A great, but somewhat old book, on the entire subject is "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems".... we stand on the shoulders of giants, to say the least.

Man, you guys inspire me. Can only wish I had a 10th your knowledge of engines...

I think the best thing is dyno proof, i think that sales of any item can be increased with a good run advertised. When I was building my FJ i dyno'ed the engine stock and all the way to only headers, not even a cat on the thing. I made +3 hp and dropped 1 ft lb of torque at 3,700 rpm once all but headers were off.

That said once I advanced the timing 3 degrees, lowered the termostat 10 degrees and removed the stock ECU with my own computer and tuned it myself I gained about 22 hp and torque give or take a little.

It just happens all the time, can parts make more power, absolutely, but a street power plant is an entire package, it's not a race motor where I could switch out hydraulic lifters for solid one in a 454 and gain 30hp at 6,000 getting me over the 650hp hump. We don't have those motors anymore.

So I guess my recommendation and opinion (which ultimately doesn't matter) is to alway dyno, that way everyone knows what they are getting.

Jerrys final thoughts, we get wrapped about peak numbers a lot, let's see power increase in the 2,000 to 3,500 range, where it really matters for driving enjoyment.

I'm looking for an aftermarket exhaust for my 2016 land cruiser. I am not having any luck. No one has built on for it yet that I know. Billy Boats (b&b) in Arizona will custom do one but they need a vehicle for 3-5 days to design one and I am too far away from there. Does anyone know of an exhaust and any other performance parts for the 5.7 land cruiser?

I'm looking for some more sound and power. I found a 4.6 exhaust from Ryan at extremelandcruiser.com but he told me that might work with mods but it's very pricey to start cutting. Billy boats will build one but needs a car to mock off of for a couple days. I've checked with all the big boys and no luck.

thanks for all the info... It really is very in depth. I have been the king of bolt on and hope and think things are better. I really wanted to do a supercharger but after trd stopped it's tough to void warranties on an expensive car like this. I'm not the off road guy I just like to run wide open even in a lc. I added a programmer and it made a small difference in shifting from 1-2 and made more of a difference I think on my 14 vs the 16 since the transmission change. I'm trying to keep as stock design without hacking. My buddy told me of your exhaust coming bjowett and would be interested in talking about it. I have liked b&b exhaust before on other cars and don't know what it would do on a lc. The cost he told me was the first one used for design would be 600 and off shelf after would be 1200 roughly at bbe by mike there in Phoenix. When it comes down to it, I don't care about mpg just hp but without major mods( unless trd sc came back) I really appreciate this forum and all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom