Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The chromoly spindle nut is absolutely worth buying. Setting preload is so much simpler. I also run the ARP'S and after seeing some people shear them, I don't think there's much to worry about as long as you're running the chromoly hub gears. That in the sense that with all chromoly upgrades, the studs will still be the weak point as designed.

Good to know. My Aisin hubs are still stock. So I might hold off on the ARP studs until I go with chromoly hub gears.

Well, I tried

Actually.........

rd2muOel.jpg

Last edited:
While you're there get some studs to replace the spindle bolts, they will make your life easier.

Hellfire Knucks!!! Nice. Remember when you want to sell this truck in the future contact me first!

OH. Dibs on your y link steering. PM about it please.

While you're there get some studs to replace the spindle bolts, they will make your life easier.

That's a good idea too. It's a pain to get the spindle and gaskets installed with bolts instead of studs. Not a bad price either for the kit

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Spindle_Stud_Kit/i_0_0_3488/_140050-1-KIT.aspx#.VOTE6vnF9e4

Hellfire Knucks!!! Nice. Remember when you want to sell this truck in the future contact me first!

OH. Dibs on your y link steering. PM about it please.

I'll keep you in mind :) But about the ylink steering, I'm actually keeping that. Gonna use the same steering links, just swap over knuckles. The only thing I'll be getting rid of is the RHD steering arm.

I'm surprised with all of this work you're not doing a ruff stuff front with the 9.5 along with your hellfire knuckles. Or is that in the future plans?

That's a few thousand dollars more. It's not a simple "while I'm in there" upgrade, especially with 5.29s already setup. 3link brackets are made specifically for the FJ80 8" front axle which means I'd need new brackets from Brian or go full custom with RuffStuff brackets. I have thought abot it though. I guess the plan for now is to see how it goes with the 8" diff. I try to be careful while wheeling and don't treat it like a rock bouncer from the South. I think the first time I blow an 8" R&P will make me rethink going the 9.5" route but for now it's just too much money!

That's a good idea too. It's a pain to get the spindle and gaskets installed with bolts instead of studs. Not a bad price either for the kit

Honestly just doing the top two would be all you need to make a difference. The only thing I'm not sure about is the amount of room in there, I can't remember if non-JIS bolt/nut heads would fit or not. It's been awhile since I've been in there.

What's going to happen with your FOR lift?

I'll have just the springs to get rid of. Shocks are crap and leaked their oil a while back so those are going in the trash.

Made some good progress today. Things are going quicker than I thought considering I'm only using a grinder and a sawzall. At this point I just have the driver's side towers, panhard and 2 radius arm brackets to remove.

16422007758_829a64b9c1_h.jpg

16609202415_2b78d91228_h.jpg

16423384349_4938c4f986_h.jpg

15989444053_5e72a9d387_h.jpg

16583229256_336e4501ad_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom