Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what hit your head? Looks like the passenger compartment is relatively intact...

Its crazy we had to cut the roof off to get the guy out of this truck, and he only had a broken leg and some minor cuts.

You look like you were assaulted by thors hammer yet your driver's side window isn't even broken! Glad you're ok.
I am also curious how you got your melon cracked, that looks gnarly...... Did the 4 runner roll from the impact? I am glad you were driving your other Toyota and not my favorite 80 on mud. Hope you are feeling better.
something loose in the rig flew forward and cracked that melon ?

It's hard to say exactly what happened as I kinda blacked out for a few seconds. I was stopped at a red light and next thing I know it's like a bomb went off. Other guy must have been going 50+ and never touched the brakes. The first thing I remember is being in the center console. I was obviously wearing my seatbelt so I only imagine the impact was so hard it knocked me out of the shoulder harness.

I also didn't realize the truck was still moving, I thought I just got pushed out of the way but I was moving pretty fast across an 8-lane intersection (luckily no cross-traffic). I hit the stop light on the other side of the street and that's what threw me into the dash/window. Tore off the rear view mirror and hit the windshield with the back of my head.

Here's a few more pics

8duVUsmh.jpg

Notice the blood spatter

989Tgpxh.jpg

And the impact was so hard, check out what it did to the rear axle, spare tire and yes, those squiggly noodles are the upper control arms. I'm just glad I was in a modern vehicle instead of something like the 80. Injuries would have been much worse I'm sure.

3opoxaVh.jpg

I was just wondering the other day if you were still on mud or had moved on. Glad to hear you are ok and to see it wasn't the 80 that was smashed. Nice work on the koi pond too by the way.

Holy moly!!!

Although safety in modern vehicles are much better but the 80 being MUCH heavier I would venture to say you would of came out of that accident a little better shape thanks to extra 2000lbs of weight. When it comes to car on car accidents, heavier the better. Time for a GX460?

Holy :censor:

... Makes me want to NOT drive my 94 Camry as a DD anymore...

I don't think he would have been better off in the 80, heavier vehicles are not necessarily better in collisions than lighter ones. The engineering that goes into crumple zones is pretty amazing. Check out this video, I am sure the bel air weighs more than the modern car.

I don't think he would have been better off in the 80, heavier vehicles are not necessarily better in collisions than lighter ones. The engineering that goes into crumple zones is pretty amazing. Check out this video, I am sure the bel air weighs more than the modern car.

Totally agree but comparing bel air to an 80 isn’t a fair comparison.

My truck got hit last year (it was parked, I wasn't in it). This is the car that hit me, the 80 only needed an alignment and I lost a couple paint chips from the rear bumper. He cracked his frame as well. 😂

Screenshot_20180916-115223.png

CLUSTER LEDs

Today I also installed a new set of cluster LEDs I purchased from member 'lilevo'. All 4 of the main bulbs for $15 shipped. I got the white color. Very nice improvement over the sad, dim little OEM halogen bulbs with plastic green covers. The light is nice and crisp. :clap:

8547363146_bcf70b99c6_h.jpg
Are these still dimmable?

Are these still dimmable?

If by dimmable you mean burnt out a few hours later then yes, completely dimmable. I've gone through several set of LEDs for the cluster, still haven't found a set that lasts for a few days and doesn't flicker. Almost inclined to go back to halogens.

If by dimmable you mean burnt out a few hours later then yes, completely dimmable. I've gone through several set of LEDs for the cluster, still haven't found a set that lasts for a few days and doesn't flicker. Almost inclined to go back to halogens.
Same here. I have one in the speedo that goes out and comes back at least once every time I have the lights on. I have tried so many that I don't even know what works and doesn't anymore.

Same...went back to stock.

Thank you for the info, I really like the look but I thinl It might be too bright for long night drives. Do you find this a problem?

Thank you for the info, I really like the look but I thinl It might be too bright for long night drives. Do you find this a problem?

Kinda hard to be too bright when they all burnt out or started flickering. But they were nice for a few hours , not bright at all. But do keep in mind that if they don't burn out, they will probably start flickering like and make your dash look like something out of an EDM festival if you're into that sorta thing:

9gjQK8W.gif

Kinda hard to be too bright when they all burnt out or started flickering. But they were nice for a few hours , not bright at all. But do keep in mind that if they don't burn out, they will probably start flickering like and make your dash look like something out of an EDM festival if you're into that sorta thing:

9gjQK8W.gif
I guess I'm sticking with the old school lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom