Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dig the alternator, no mods to the brackets required? He just ground the one tab off in order to clearance it?

Bad luck on the air conditioning pump also :confused: I recently received the "long" AC pump from Cruiserparts.net which is P/N: 88320-60630 and the pulleys line up perfectly. I wonder what goofball pulley was put on yours?

I will be at the shop tomorrow working with Dom on as much of the wiring we can get done. We will be pilfering the right AC pulley or complete assembly off of my other motor so we can continue moving forward with this build, as the 45 can wait.

I will as Dom if he made any other changes to the brackets. I had that alternator on my 1FZ-FE, and it definitely cranks out the amps when under heavy loads...such as winching a buddy out of a sand pit in the dark with all lights running, AC on, etc.

I'm interested in the alt mounting as well. Factory 80 amp unit is not really up to what I ask of it.

Fairly decent Friday at the shop getting a few items sorted. Basic layout of wires in the upper loom, and ensured that all had enough wire to terminate at the sensors. Had to pull the oil sensor wires out and re-route to the drivers-side. Also swapped all of the sensors to 1FZ-FE ones (which fit perfectly) so that the dash indicators get the right signals.

With the 130A/150A alternator it fits nicely with modifications. The middle tab on the alternator has to be ground off. Part of the lower tab has to be modified, and perhaps the upper. Nothing drastic, but definitely a bit of custom work. In the end it fits quite well and aligns with the other pulleys. If you have not already wired for the larger alternator you will need to follow the instructions in the "Photoman Bracket" threads in the 80 section.

Here are a couple of shots.

Going in at 10pm Thursday night.

full

full

full

More hardware work by Dom this week.

H151F getting a new set of input and output seals. Both were weeping.

full

HF2AV T-Case getting a new set of Marlin Lo 3.12 and Terrain Tamer Hi .912 gears. Lo 1st = final drive of 62.14, and Hi 5th = final drive of 3.92. Should help on both ends of the spectrum! New 1st gear in Lo top speed = 7mph, and 5th gear in Hi = a theoretical 105+...not that I would ever have the truck over 80 in any situation. Yes, indeed, I suffer from "while you are in there" disease with my Land Cruisers.

full

full

full

Last edited:
HF2AV T-Case getting a new set of Marlin Lo 3.12 and Terrain Tamer Hi .912 gears. Lo 1st = final drive of 62.14, and Hi 5th = final drive of 3.92. Should help on both ends of the spectrum! New 1st gear in Lo top speed = 7mph, and 5th gear in Hi = a theoretical 105+...not that I would ever have the truck over 80 in any situation. Yes, indeed, I suffer from "while you are in there" disease with my Land Cruisers.

Can you elaborate on the .912 gears? Where you sourced them and $? Im really curious how they work for you, I have heard a few stories of them whining, but I hope thays not the case. The H151 could really use a taller gear on the highway.

I already have the .312 gears for low sitting in a box in the garage.

Can you elaborate on the .912 gears? Where you sourced them and $? Im really curious how they work for you, I have heard a few stories of them whining, but I hope thays not the case. The H151 could really use a taller gear on the highway.

I already have the .312 gears for low sitting in a box in the garage.

My Hi gears came from Terrain Tamer (Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids). These can be coupled with the Lo gear set that you have from Marlin. Valley Hybrids has both...not cheap, and you will want to contact Georg on the cost, other bits needed, etc.

Best of all worlds, higher high, and lower low. I had to either do this or go back from 4.88's down to 4.10's at the differentials. Still can go 4.10's or 37" rubber overdrive if my freeway revs are too high. Will see about the noise level, and hoping no different from OEM in that regards.

My Hi gears came from Terrain Tamer (Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids). These can be coupled with the Lo gear set that you have from Marlin. Valley Hybrids has both...not cheap, and you will want to contact Georg on the cost, other bits needed, etc.

Best of all worlds, higher high, and lower low. I had to either do this or go back from 4.88's down to 4.10's at the differentials. Still can go 4.10's or 37" rubber overdrive if my freeway revs are too high. Will see about the noise level, and hoping no different from OEM in that regards.

That is great information, Thank you! A higher gear in there would be great-I'll contact Georg. Mine is a HF1A, but that should not make a difference.
cheers,
jan

More or less finished the last big hurdle on this swap today as the AC system is installed and functioning correctly. Since the system had been apart for nearly 3 years, I replaced the drier (required) and the expansion valve as cheap insurance. I also cleaned out the evaporator really well. All the O-rings were replaced with OEM stuff and I added about 4oz of PAG 46 to the system.

This is a rebuilt Denso compressor, likely a 10PA15C. It came without the top manifold block however I sourced the correct one (HP1003) from Coldhose.com in Florida.
IMG_2453.JPG

Coldhose.com was a great company to work with. I looked at trying to source the OEM Toyota suction and discharge AC lines however they are either not available or prohibitively expensive. I ended up sending the original 1FZ AC lines to Coldhose and they modified them to work with the Denso compressor. They reused several of the OEM Toyota block fittings and lengthened the hoses as required. The HP1003 block also uses male O-ring fittings and Coldhose provided these also. The cost to have both hoses modified was only $60 with shipping, one of the cheaper things on this conversion. I covered the suction hose with some heat shielding (good to 2,000 degrees) from Thermal Solutions then torqued everything to spec per the FSM.
IMG_2454.JPG

Then, for the first time in my life, I drove this down to the local Toyota dealer where the system was properly charged. They vacuumed it first (no leaks :D) then added the refrigerant. The system now blows nice and cold in only seconds after activating the pump. Should be very handy when the wife and I head off to Alaska in the next 2 weeks for an extended camping/fishing trip.

Along the way, I also added a second battery after relocating the windshield washer bracket. Dual batteries (in parallel) are pretty nice. I plugged in my large 80 quart ARB fridge/freezer and ran it just shy of 5 days. In total, battery voltage only dropped roughly 3/4 of a volt. I'm happy :cheers:
IMG_2455.JPG

Now I'm compiling a huge amount of spare parts for a roughly 5,000 mile roadtrip.....

Im really curious how they work for you, I have heard a few stories of them whining, but I hope thays not the case. The H151 could really use a taller gear on the highway.

Will see about the noise level, and hoping no different from OEM in that regards.

I am likely the source of that rumour. I got mine from 4Wheel Parts in Canada. First set were noisy, they sent me a new set, also noisy. I put my stock gears back and they refunded my money. My truck has highway tires, but a diesel engine. Maybe with diesel + knobby tires it will be less noticeable. It's a real shame, because that gear ratio was great. I have stuck with stock gears for the last 2.5 years, but I find myself doing more highway driving these days so I am planning to put 3.73 in the diffs.

Anyway I am very curious to hear how your Terrain Tamers work out. Maybe in the last couple years they have refined them to be quieter?! Here is a link to the noise I experienced:

Umm, wow. That would have driven me totally crazy...

George from Valley Hybrids has installed Marks gears, TT gears and Marlins gears.. he claims he would never use the Marks again due to noise and said the other two gear sets to be pretty much no gear wine.

I wonder if George (or one of his customers rather) would post a video like the gentleman did above so we can compare the possibility of gear noise? I'd like 3:70's for highway cruising but wouldn't want to lose the low of my low range.

I'd be interested in knowing. I just like Ross would go out of my mind with that whine/noise while driving.

Looking good Steve!!!

I think you are right, does .912-2.415. high ratio kit.

Oh my....
IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG
Doing the first coolant flush and filter change prior to leaving for AK. :eek: I'm very glad I installed this bypass filter where the ACSD used to be. The main coolant came out clear, the pics speak for themselves. Using a Napa 4071 filter with SCA additives.

Rock40 -- any update on those transfer case high-range gears? Any noticeable noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom