Engine Rebuilding options for S/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so the truck has been running hot for the past week and I kinda chalked it up to the 90deg days. Nope turns out I have a freaking bad radiator cap!!! I don't think this is OEM. I need to go pick up a new one. If you notice in the picture, the cap is releasing and spraying onto the top of the radiator. Gggrrrr!!!!

That would also explain why I have been loosing an ounce or so of water every few days. Ugh.

That's an aftermarket radiator and cap.

That's an aftermarket radiator and cap.

Bought a new Toyota cap. Its the identical cap that I have in the photo. Came in the Toyota plastic with a Toyota label. Its new and, for the time being, its solved the issue.

Not to self and anyone else considering spending a butt load of money on a rebuild. Do yourself a favor and just replace the $75 heater control valve as part of the PM. My temps were going crazy and we could not figure it out. The temps rocketed to 227º, A/C shut off and then poof! Steam. NO!!!!!!!!!

Turns out the Heater control valve had a hairline crack on the backside of the tube and we just never noticed it. It was leaking for sometime. This may very well be the reason why my temps were problematic. The system could never build pressure because the HCV was always slowly dumping pressure. When the system pressure drops so does the boiling point. My HCV finally gave up the ghost. No permanent damage. Replaced it, added some coolant and even with the 100º+ days, the temps in the truck haven't climbed over 196º

haha the smog shop you went to is right next to my friends shop Avo's auto body. glad you got the smog deal worked out.

A cold pressure test didn't show a leak? Or would the leak only show up when hot ?

That's a Hell of a thing to find, btw.

Spike Strip said:
A cold pressure test didn't show a leak? Or would the leak only show up when hot ?

That's a Hell of a thing to find, btw.

Cold pressure test did not find the issue. The symptom would only show up when truck was at operating temperature and under pressure.

Glad you found something to fix, but is that really the problem?

Cooling system issues almost always come down to a new radiator. If yours is aftermarket or more than a year or two old, I'd replace to protect your investment in that nice motor.

So just a couple of quickie updates. Its now up to about 260 miles per tank which is getting better and better. I am fairly confident that it would net me 300 miles or more on an all freeway road trip. So I'm much happier. I did the Disco turn signal mod which is pretty bad ass. Very happy with that. Rewired the fan.

I have a spray nozzle mod that I wanted to work on but now I'm leaving again. I find out Friday if I am going to Frisco for the weekend or head straight to France for a month with the family. Its vacation time dammit!

So nothing will be happening for a solid month at least.

Wasn't enough mileage to get another oil change in so that will wait til after we get back.

I may be getting DMOZ's leather seats if they aren't already sold. We'll see. I also have all the components for a spray nozzle mod for the radiator. :D

Not really. I was in France and Amsterdam for the past five-ish weeks so not much to report except:

• Just got P0325 (knock sensor)- it may be that my repair didn't hold up because its a new sensor.
• Still getting between 200-220 miles to the tank.
• The suspension seems to be getting worse quick. The wifey now wants me to look into a lift with all new suspension components.
• I'm currently running 8 deg TDC, Im sure its not helping my mileage
• The engine is strong like bull. When I do what Phil recommended about dropping to 2nd when going up a hill, I let it now go into the 4k range and wow there is a ton a power there. But at 4k and above it feels like the rear end slips, or shimmys or something. I dunno.
• Was hoping to hear from JOMAMA about his trans but he's been MIA
• For two seconds the wifey thought about selling it and upgrading to the 200 series because she thought it would suit my freshly adjusted paycheck :grinpimp:

Otherwise:
• Looking for LX570 or equivalent seats instead of redoing the ones I have
• Waiting for my ballistic nylon fabric to come in for an interior project
• Waiting for my USB ports to come in to install
• Thinking about an iPad install

Last edited:
I guess you could call it an Xmas gift. My truck just turned 300k miles!!!
image-1243092214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom