Empty Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just found out my front axle housing was empty...no shaft, no birfield, etc. Any ideas why this might have happened?

Love those PO mods.

Musta made steering interesting.

DallasFJ40 said:
I just found out my front axle housing was empty...no shaft, no birfield, etc. Any ideas why this might have happened?

Love those PO mods.
:eek: :eek:

Urban Legend:eek:

This may have been caused by................

Good question, I am stumped. I would venture to guess they were removed by man.

weight savings = better gas mileage!

Ask the PO if he has by some odd coincidence some axles and birfs lying around.

Has it interfered with wheeling?

DallasFJ40 said:

Love those PO mods.

Broke on the trail and yanked them out to keep from screwing everything up. Got back and sold it to you. Since you never asked if the front birfs and shafts were installed they didn't think is was important to tell you.:flipoff2:

Trollhole said:
Okay how do birfs or lack of them effect steering?:confused: :D

Squirting out gear oil each time you make a turn. Assuming there's some in there! :D

Then, of course, when you've washed all the grease out of the bearings....

DallasFJ40 said:

Love those PO mods.

Maybe they didn't know about the locking hubs and would just take the axles out when they didn't want the drag on the drivetrain and put them back in when they needed 4wd. :D

DallasFJ40 said:

How many other trucks did your PO own?

Do you have a drum brake front housing swapped in there also? ;)

projektdotnet said:
wait...wow...what about wheel bearings?

What about them? The front axle is full floating and the wheel bearings seat on the spindle, not on the front axle shafts....

projektdotnet said:
i woulda thought the inner axle seal wouldn't be doing spit at this point?

Sure the seal is not doing anything, but then there is not anything to carry the gear oil out to the seal either....and unless the vehicle was operated at a very steep angled pitch to the driver or passenger side, the oil would stay in the housing and diff assembly.

While it has the potential to make a mess exists, the axles shafts themselves not being in the housing would not negatively effect steering.

:beer:

Poser said:
and unless the vehicle was operated at a very steep angled pitch to the driver or passenger side, the oil would stay in the housing and diff assembly.

Unless he corners like my daughter....:eek:

IDave said:
Unless he corners like my daughter....:eek:

One is not long for the world operating a Land Cruiser like a sports car David....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom