Electronic Ignition Ignitor Recommendation for Nippon Denso 19100-60061 Distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1971 FJ40, F engine with Nippon Denso 19100-60061 dizzy.
I am trying to make the switch from points to electronic ignition. Running this vac advance dizzy which runs good.
I am looking for a correct PN for a good electronic system that will fit this distributor base.
I tried the Pertronix 1665A, recommended fit for a 1968 (I believe this dizzy was original up to 1968?), but the base plate did not match up to the 19100-60061. Any recommendations on exact electronic makes and PNs, where someone has first-hand experience is a good product and fit?

IMG-0592.jpg
IMG-6975.jpg
IMG-6974.jpg
IMG-6973.jpg

I recently added the pertronix 91665A to my old distributor which is small cap with external advance adjustor under clear cap like in your pictures.

What I remember is that I should have attached module to the provided adapter plate and then installed adapter plate into distributor. Little nuts that hold module down are a bear to do in the distributor on an engine.

Adapter plate only had one screw that would line up at a time. Believe this was countersink type screw.

Also remember the instructions were almost non existent from pertronix.

I’m the end it worked. Don’t have a ton of miles on it but I am just building up my trust in the rig because I added efi at the same time.

Should have added used flamethrower 2 coil.

There is a difference in pertronix igniters, some can take leaving key on without running and not burn up, some can’t.

Some of there coils are oil filled and some are epoxy fill and are tougher. These are a little more money.

Takes some reading cause pertronix don’t explain much of this.

Any other recommendations besides Pertronix? Has anyone had success with this distributor removing points?

I think maybe @4Cruisers was working on something similar ...

Any other recommendations besides Pertronix? Has anyone had success with this distributor removing points?
I think maybe @4Cruisers was working on something similar ...
I haven't been able to figure out how to convert the small cap points distributors to Toyota electronic ignition, just the 1/75 through 9/77 2F distributors and the non-US 3F 19100-61180 points distributors (both are medium cap).

You should be able to use the Pertronix system you bought in your current distributor. Toyota used two different breaker plates in the Land Cruiser small cap distributors. The early type had an integral post that the points slipped over and rotated about, and a small cam bolt to adjust the points gap. The later type (like yours) was also used on non-US Land Cruisers for quite a few years (e.g., 19100-61080). Here's one of my earlier posts that shows the differences (Post #9):

To use the Pertronix you have you'd have to swap out your breaker plate to the earlier type, the swap is easy to do. I have several in very good shape that I don't need much for. PM me if interested.

Your other option would be to use your current breaker plate with a newer, better Pertronix system, the 91662LS (LS is for lobe sensing). Check out this post for a lot of good information, including some detailed posts from @ToyotaMatt:

I haven't been able to figure out how to convert the small cap points distributors to Toyota electronic ignition, just the 1/75 through 9/77 2F distributors and the non-US 3F 19100-61180 points distributors (both are medium cap).

You should be able to use the Pertronix system you bought in your current distributor. Toyota used two different breaker plates in the Land Cruiser small cap distributors. The early type had an integral post that the points slipped over and rotated about, and a small cam bolt to adjust the points gap. The later type (like yours) was also used on non-US Land Cruisers for quite a few years (e.g., 19100-61080). Here's one of my earlier posts that shows the differences (Post #9):

To use the Pertronix you have you'd have to swap out your breaker plate to the earlier type, the swap is easy to do. I have several in very good shape that I don't need much for. PM me if interested.

Your other option would be to use your current breaker plate with a newer, better Pertronix system, the 91662LS (LS is for lobe sensing). Check out this post for a lot of good information, including some detailed posts from @ToyotaMatt:

Thank you for all of the good info and links. It appears to me, and I may be looking at this wrong, that the hole spacing for mouting the base of the 1665A and the 91662 original or LS are both much closer to the cam than the points mounting holes in my dizzy.

It looks like I may need to swap out base plates either way. Might PM you to see what that would be.

In general I don't drive my rig enough to have a real problem with the points, just wanting to eliminate another variable in tuning, but not sure it is worth the hassle.

I will also call Pertronix to see what they say.

Thanks again for all the help

After spending some time on the phone with Larry at Pertronix, who was very helpful, he was able to determine that the correct igniter for this 19100-60061 vac advance distributor is 1661. So I returned the 1665A and order the 1661 which fits and works perfectly.
IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7089.jpeg

Well shoot, now I gotta look at mine again. I think i have the same distributor and your install looks more correct.

Thanks for the research and sharing!

Well shoot, now I gotta look at mine again. I think i have the same distributor and your install looks more correct.

Thanks for the research and sharing!
It is a bit elusive and takes some digging, as the standard vac retard dizzy matches with the 1665A, but the earlier vac advance dizzy has points screws which are closer to the center of the dizzy, which matches with the base of the 1661 igniter.

I set my timing slightly advanced beyond the standard bb, but believe I should perhaps advance it even more. Need to search some threads for that detail to see if that would help as well.

would sure like to find a way to add a timing tape and pointer to crank pulley. I find the flywheel to be danged hard to see.

would sure like to find a way to add a timing tape and pointer to crank pulley. I find the flywheel to be danged hard to see.
It can be difficult. I painted nice big white lines on the TDC mark and the bb mark, making it much easier to see.

1971 FJ40, F engine with Nippon Denso 19100-60061 dizzy.
I am trying to make the switch from points to electronic ignition. Running this vac advance dizzy which runs good.
I am looking for a correct PN for a good electronic system that will fit this distributor base.
I tried the Pertronix 1665A, recommended fit for a 1968 (I believe this dizzy was original up to 1968?), but the base plate did not match up to the 19100-60061. Any recommendations on exact electronic makes and PNs, where someone has first-hand experience is a good product and fit?

View attachment 3415376View attachment 3415377View attachment 3415378View attachment 3415379

Engrain a set of facts into yourself , and even jot it down in your TEq Vehical Log Book ,

- your 60061 is a SMALL CAP style era 19100 ..........

- there are later era MED. caps

- and also a 8/80- later BIG CAP 19100-

- all 3 size caps were in-fact being used post 8/80-9/87 by toyota globally ...

- you always recall this , all your future 19100- time spent will be happy and bright .....

- see below :

1695196857268.png

1695196881252.png

1695197685442.png

the " BIG CAP " 19100-

1695197685130.png

1695197745502.png

1695197774730.png

1695196897146.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom