Educate me on Fridges (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little more info to add confusion/consideration for your decision :D

Even though I have the integrated slide for the fridge on my AO drawers I almost never use it anymore. Typically I always seem to have this or that stuffed between the fridge and window on my '99 LC. Yeah I could remove the items then slide the fridge out but its just quicker to jump up on the tailgate, open the lid to the Waeco and grab that beer...or ice cold bottle of Hangar One vodka :D

The other requirement for me: The lid had to be hinged on the long edge so I could get it open, since it sits atop my AO drawers, without having to slide the fridge out...

for $185, I would buy the Edgestar. If it's like most, it'll be just fine. Good way to see how a fridge would work for you. If you don't need it, resell it at a profit. If it conks out and can't be fixed (highly unlikely), no biggie for that kind of $. Customer support was actually pretty good on the Edgestar for me.

FWIW, when I bought my 43qt Edgestar the research I did seemed the point to issues with the larger Edgestars, not so much the 43 qt size.

FWIW, when I bought my 43qt Edgestar the research I did seemed the point to issues with the larger Edgestars, not so much the 43 qt size.

never got that impression. I'd be surprised given that I strongly suspect that all the hardware and electronics are the same.

Thanks for the info on Whynter. Will probably stay away from that one.

Decisions decisions decisions......:hmm::hmm:

1. By 43 Q Edgestar ...

I am under the impression that the Edgestar and Whynter are identical, differentiated only by the brand name. Gugle "edgestar whynter same"

Thinking of getting a fridge for the :princess: for the summer months and the occasional trip. Ok, ok, I want the fridge but mothers day is a good excuse and she could use the freedom of pickin up groceries while the kids are at school and not have to rush home to unload before heading home.

I figure I can also get bonus points if she can just leave the groceries in the car until I get home from work since we have a 3yr old and a 6 month old and it is about 200 yards from the car to the house.

Can I get a fridge and run it daily on a single battery or do I absolutely need a 2nd battery?

I dont want her to be left stranded due to a dead battery and I dont want to pay the expense of dual battery set up.

I am looking at a smaller fridge like a 25@ up to a 37Q ARB.

No, you WANT a 50q unit - because you WILL be going camping with it and with a family of four, this is a good size. :D I have an Engel for years but I like the size of the Waeco CF-50 and at a good price point at American RV.

We live pretty far out of town and the wife uses the fridge for groceries while she runs around in town. She has a single battery w/o any worries.

Remember, you will never wish you had a smaller fridge and after you get it, you and the wify will wonder how have you been getting along w/o one all these years :cheers:

Last edited:
They also make the two-zone for the Waeco CF-50 for an additional 20L of space. Not cheap though.

tzw50.jpg

ARB, Engel, Norcold, or Waeco.

drop the coin once and be done with it.
get the biggest one you think will fit. you won't regret it.

Late as well. But, I would not get anything smaller than a Engel 43. I run out of space camping solo for a week and wish I had more room in mine. Its been running off a single Group 31 Optima for over 4 years non-stop. Its killed the battery a few times but takes days, like 4 or really hot weather. Never an issue for 24 hours.

My neighbor has the ARB 50. More space and features but I prefer the simplicity and steel construction of the Engel.

I actually have the 86qt Edgestar and have had it running in the truck continuously for about a year and a half. Been on plenty of wheeling trips, and no issues. If I park the truck for a few days and don't drive it, the fridge will shut itself off to avoid killing the battery...happened a few times to me. Size wise, it's AWESOME for running to costco or the grocery. You don't even have to try to pack it, just lay all your bags in and shut the lid. Camping wise, I probably should have gone with the 63Qt because it's usually just me and I think the little one is too small. Most people would say the big one's take up too much space, but you'll see most of those guys with a 12 pack or other groceries laying next to the fridge taking up space. I just put it all in...keeps it from getting varmits, or getting smashed when stuff shifts around in your truck.

O.K. I couldn't stand reading this thread any longer without inserting our current ad!! If you want to keep your beer frosty cold and have ice cubes for that pitcher of margaritas on the beach this afternoon then this is your fridge.:beer:
I have had many fridges in my lifetime including the Waeco 50L and Engel MT45. I was amazed when Paul May from Equipt told me that I could have a fridge 40L/freezer 10L at the same time without using anymore power. For 2 people and 10 days this thing is perfect, and we test it often as we constantly are on very long trips.

You're right in saying that the price is high, but I now believe in the philosophy of "Cry Once.........":cheers:

IMG_6620-Edit-NL-ad-01-web by benjie edmonson, on Flickr

The NL looks nice and all but it won't fit my available space. Which is the reason I ended up with the Waeco...and although it won't make ice cubes and keep other contents non-frozen cold it will keep up to a couple quarts of ice cubes frozen and everything else at fridge temp; its pseudo dual zone is its own little quirk that serves the purpose.

Amazon is not the place to buy this fridge unless you are dealing with gift certificates, contact Big Frog Mountain for a fair starting point. Their prices are as fair as it gets, ARB is an excellent choice, I use both on my trailers,ARB and Engle. It is worth a call if you are serious about price 912 455 5065.

Fellas,

I've got a 45L Engel Fridge (same as the ARB Fridge) and it doesn't turn on anymore. The light comes on when I turn the dial from off to 1-5, however I do not hear or feel the compressor turn on. I do hear a high pitch buzzing noise. I've tried it on 12v as well as 110v.

I verified that the fuse is good.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Fellas,

I've got a 45L Engel Fridge (same as the ARB Fridge) and it doesn't turn on anymore. The light comes on when I turn the dial from off to 1-5, however I do not hear or feel the compressor turn on. I do hear a high pitch buzzing noise. I've tried it on 12v as well as 110v.

I verified that the fuse is good.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

I would give Engel-USA a call, they should be able to help you trouble shoot your unit and recommend a service center to repair it if needed. Could be a pressure loss, motor failure, etc. None are common but stuff breaks.

I was able to get it working again after I gave the compressor a few taps with a hammer and a block of wood.

After reading a few websites, it looks like there are older Engel models out there that have been trouble free for 25+ years! However, when they do break, the repair bill is usually higher than the cost of a new fridge.

I'll cross my fingers that this was a one time incident.

Wondering what you ended up going w/, as I'm contemplating the ARB, Engel or Edgestar.

Leaning highly to the ARB, especially after rereading the Overland writeup.

Specifically, I see the ARB under $800 shipped, which is nice.

Thanx,

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom