EC Offroad CarPlay Solutions For 2016+ 200 Series LC (NEW SEPT 2020 MODEL) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know of a source for replacement ball mount alternatives for the external mic that comes with the EC Offroad unit? I'm going to be installing Gamiviti's replacement panel for the center speaker grill and would like to ideally find something made of metal that I can bolt to it. The EC Offroad box came with 2 options - one is a slide on clip and the other is a flat plate with double sided tape. I can drill a hole in the one with the flat plate, but I'd like to get something a bit more robust that won't easily break if something bumps it. It would also be good to have a source for a replacement if the plastic one breaks. I tried searching via Google, but can't figure out what to call the thing I'm searching for, so I'm not getting any useful results :).

Does anyone know of a source for replacement ball mount alternatives for the external mic that comes with the EC Offroad unit? I'm going to be installing Gamiviti's replacement panel for the center speaker grill and would like to ideally find something made of metal that I can bolt to it. The EC Offroad box came with 2 options - one is a slide on clip and the other is a flat plate with double sided tape. I can drill a hole in the one with the flat plate, but I'd like to get something a bit more robust that won't easily break if something bumps it. It would also be good to have a source for a replacement if the plastic one breaks. I tried searching via Google, but can't figure out what to call the thing I'm searching for, so I'm not getting any useful results :).
So, you want a metal socket for the ball and socket swivel car mic thing?

As for a replacement, is this what you’re talking about?

So, you want a metal socket for the ball and socket swivel car mic thing?

As for a replacement, is this what you’re talking about?
Yeah, but it's the ball part that would be metal as the microphone that came with the module has the socket and the base has the ball (the one you linked to appears to be the opposite). This microphone on Amazon looks like a pretty close match to what EC Offroad ships with the module:

Amazon product ASIN B088D44QFF
The flat base mount that comes with it is what I would like a metal equivalent for. Here's the picture from the Amazon listing that shows the specific piece:

I suspect that any similar microphone could be used in place of the one that came with the module as I doubt there's anything special about it.

The best option may be to drill a hole in the flat base that came with mine, bolt it to the Gamiviti plate, and buy a complete replacement mic from Amazon if it happens to break at some point. Unless these small ball and socket combos are very common, it's probably going to be impossible to find a higher quality replacement.

Regarding the blank screen at startup problem, it happened to me once earlier this week. Started the car and nothing on the display. Drove home to drop off groceries and when I headed off on my next errand it was fine again. I have had this happen a few other times since installing the unit, but I can count the times on less than one hand over the course of about 18 months, so it's not a major issue in my case.

Regarding the blank screen at startup problem, it happened to me once earlier this week. Started the car and nothing on the display. Drove home to drop off groceries and when I headed off on my next errand it was fine again. I have had this happen a few other times since installing the unit, but I can count the times on less than one hand over the course of about 18 months, so it's not a major issue in my case.
I sure hope it remains infrequent.

Mine was flawless until it wasn’t, and once it wasn’t it was frequently acting up.

Exactly the same for me.

If you want to do much with the native Android functionality, that USB port is useful for connecting an external keyboard, a thumb drive for map / music storage, an Ethernet to USB adapter, etc. If you definitely don't care about using the Android functionality and just care about CarPlay / Android Auto, then you probably don't need to worry about access to the port. My suggestion would be to at least route it to the area under the glovebox where you get access to the fusebox so you don't have to rip the dash apart if you change your mind later.
I just received and installed a new unit on my 2017 200 series LC. It appears to be working okay but I'm unable to use touchscreen while in EC mode. I connect a mouse and can navigate but the touchscreen only works while in Toyota mode. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Great thread and very helpful.

I’m in the middle of installing the EC CarPlay unit this weekend and, upon first test, everything seems to be working but the touch screen. I see all the apps but touch not working. Can someone please confirm the placement of the DIP switches. This is the most recent version of the unit as it was purchased in March so there are 8 DIP switches. Thank you
I have this exact issue. I just received and installed a new unit today in my 2017 200 series. Everything seems to be working except for touchscreen when in EC mode. Touchscreen works fine in Toyota mode. I connected a mouse to the USB port and am able to navigate with it, but no touchscreen. How did you fix yours?

I would confirm with Michael or Cale that you got the right unit. I think the touchscreen stuff changed from a model year but I’m not sure when.
I agree with @DomSmith - outside of defective hardware (and this would be a weird hardware defect if the device is otherwise working) this seems like the most likely issue. I don't remember when the touchscreen type changed from 1 type to the other either, but there's definitely a transition and the hardware they send is supposedly different to account for that.

I agree with @DomSmith - outside of defective hardware (and this would be a weird hardware defect if the device is otherwise working) this seems like the most likely issue. I don't remember when the touchscreen type changed from 1 type to the other either, but there's definitely a transition and the hardware they send is supposedly different to account for that.
Thank you.

Looking at EC Offroad's site, it looks like July of 2018 is the transition point for when the screen type was switched as they have different products listed for < July 2018 and > July 2018. But if they sent you the wrong version of the box by mistake (or you happened to order the wrong one by mistake), that would definitely explain the problem. Best course of action is to contact them for assistance.

On another note, I currently have a Tesla style head unit on order that will hopefully arrive for the upcoming long weekend (it depends on how fast it moves through customs, etc. on the way here), so my current EC Offroad interface module will most likely be going up for sale in the relatively near future and also means that I won't be paying as much attention to this thread or updating the first post moving forward. Of course, if the Tesla style head unit ends up being a disaster, I'll switch back to what I have now and the prior couple of sentences can be ignored :). For me, the biggest problem with these interface modules is that we end up still being stuck with the low resolution screen the LC comes with. The Tesla style unit should take care of that and make navigation apps a lot more pleasant to use.

^^Definitely looking forward to hearing how the TESLA style unit goes…
I'll keep you posted. The tracking info claims Friday is the delivery day. Fingers are crossed as the long weekend would be a good time to do the swap and give me time to get comfortable with it before the trip I have planned later in July...

Looking at EC Offroad's site, it looks like July of 2018 is the transition point for when the screen type was switched as they have different products listed for < July 2018 and > July 2018. But if they sent you the wrong version of the box by mistake (or you happened to order the wrong one by mistake), that would definitely explain the problem. Best course of action is to contact them for assistance.

On another note, I currently have a Tesla style head unit on order that will hopefully arrive for the upcoming long weekend (it depends on how fast it moves through customs, etc. on the way here), so my current EC Offroad interface module will most likely be going up for sale in the relatively near future and also means that I won't be paying as much attention to this thread or updating the first post moving forward. Of course, if the Tesla style head unit ends up being a disaster, I'll switch back to what I have now and the prior couple of sentences can be ignored :). For me, the biggest problem with these interface modules is that we end up still being stuck with the low resolution screen the LC comes with. The Tesla style unit should take care of that and make navigation apps a lot more pleasant to use.
I have the Naviplus car play unit. But have enjoyed reading your updates on this EC off-road unit. I hope you will be kind enough to post detailed progress pics on the installation of the Tesla unit, because I would like to do that too. I am just not as tech savvy, so I need to see your post and thoughts on how it works. Then I will pull the trigger and get my local shop that installed my Naviplus to do it. Thank you.

I’ll have to look around. Thank you.
I would suggest starting here as it's probably the most relevant to our 2016+ Land Cruisers:

That thread is discussing the product I ordered and is where I'll post about how my install goes and any new tips that I have to add beyond what the OP has already found. The OP in that thread has done a pretty good job of explaining the install process and overall experience so far. Unfortunately, he didn't post detailed photos of the exact connectors that were used, though it sounds like it didn't differ much from the EC Offroad videos he linked to the first post.

Compared to buying from EC Offroad, the purchase process is a bit unnerving as it's sort of through alibaba, but not as an official alibaba transaction. Payment has to be sent to the manufacturer via wire transfer, so there's a time period (a few days) between sending the money and getting a tracking number where you're left wondering if you entered the correct info for the wire transfer. But the price ends up being less than half of what EC Offroad charges for their Tesla style unit.

Last edited:
Reading through here reminded me I need to update my situation.

I sent my unit back and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. They sent me a brand new in box unit anyway and it was delivered yesterday.

Major stepping up by EC offroad, I applaud their attention to customer service.

I will say I have had very good customer service from EC on the few issues I’ve had with the CarPlay units. And definitely recommend them especially for something quirky like these CarPlay boxes.

However…

I recently added a power tailgate lift to my 2016 and have not had the same level of satisfaction.

There are issues with the wiring harness and the communication on a solution is not satisfactory at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom