EC Offroad CarPlay Solutions For 2016+ 200 Series LC (NEW SEPT 2020 MODEL) (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my replacement LVD cable is arriving today so I went ahead and pulled the dash apart so I could replace it quickly and get to testing.

What is the preferred orientation of the ecoffroad unit when mounted behind the display? Mine is pictured below, the plugs are all facing up and they are having to maintain a fairly tight bend. Are you securing it in anyway or just letting it sit in there?
F4191BA7-0362-48E4-8DDE-B52945C2BC38.jpeg

I'm not sure if there is a preferred orientation, but mine is not attached to my display, it's attached to the flat area that's in front of the display such that it remains in the vehicle if the display is removed. It has been quite a while since I installed mine and I didn't take pictures, but IIRC I have the plugs facing down. My vote is to go with whatever orientation puts the least stress on the cables. Tight bends are generally not a good thing especially for fiber cables such as the LVD used for the display.

I'm not sure if there is a preferred orientation, but mine is not attached to my display, it's attached to the flat area that's in front of the display such that it remains in the vehicle if the display is removed. It has been quite a while since I installed mine and I didn't take pictures, but IIRC I have the plugs facing down. My vote is to go with whatever orientation puts the least stress on the cables. Tight bends are generally not a good thing especially for fiber cables such as the LVD used for the display.
I hear ya on the sharp bends. I guess I’ll play around with it and find the least ‘wire bendy’ way and go with that.

Update to replacing the LVD cable.

The process to remove the display was really easy as was replacing this cable. First start up I got the EC Off road splash screen the …. BLANK SCREEN 😵. I shut my he vehicle off and waited a few minutes then restarted…unit works as expected. Unit continued to work as expected for next 4 vehicle starts. I’m still concerned the problem still exists since it was intermittent before hand it makes sense that it would continue to act the same way.

I will email EC Off-road about this and report back.

Update to replacing the LVD cable.

The process to remove the display was really easy as was replacing this cable. First start up I got the EC Off road splash screen the …. BLANK SCREEN 😵. I shut my he vehicle off and waited a few minutes then restarted…unit works as expected. Unit continued to work as expected for next 4 vehicle starts. I’m still concerned the problem still exists since it was intermittent before hand it makes sense that it would continue to act the same way.

I will email EC Off-road about this and report back.
This seems like an improvement. If the screen continues to intermittently blank out with this new cable, then I bet there's a bad solder joint at the connector for that cable. That would make it finicky depending on temperature, humidity, cable jostling, etc. and maybe you got lucky this time with how the cable is pushing against the connector in such a way to keep the solder joint contacting enough to work.

Here is my solution to the crappy LVD cable and screen issue…

View attachment 3015656
Oh man… I feel your pain! Are you out of warranty?

I sent them a couple videos today showing my problem. Replacing the LVD cable hasn’t fixed mine so I’m hoping they mail me a new one and I can send mine back.

The convenience of car play is so dang nice… when it works. Since using the native setup I’m willing to live with that and use my phone or mount an iPad for better maps when I need them but I will miss the talk to text feature the most.

Oh man… I feel your pain! Are you out of warranty?

I sent them a couple videos today showing my problem. Replacing the LVD cable hasn’t fixed mine so I’m hoping they mail me a new one and I can send mine back.

The convenience of car play is so dang nice… when it works. Since using the native setup I’m willing to live with that and use my phone or mount an iPad for better maps when I need them but I will miss the talk to text feature the most.
I sent in a video of the wiring setup to EC and they told me the LVD cable was kinked. Mind you, this was the new, pristine LVD cable they sent me for me install was kinked. Either way, it's out of the car. I'm just going to hang an iPad mini off the center speaker with a magnetic case and move on with life.

I sent in a video of the wiring setup to EC and they told me the LVD cable was kinked. Mind you, this was the new, pristine LVD cable they sent me for me install was kinked. Either way, it's out of the car. I'm just going to hang an iPad mini off the center speaker with a magnetic case and move on with life.
If you are okay with the aesthetics, the Gamiviti plate is a great solution. I hang my iPad mini, GMRS handset and my phone off ram mounts on mine and it works great for trips.

I used the yak attack track so the ram mounts are removable. I added two double USB ports, so there are fewer cables all over the place, and with short cables, it is a pretty tidy solution.

Also, as recommended by Tim, I bought a replacement factory cover plate so I can go back to stock quickly. I don't mind the way it looks though, so I just leave it in.

So no refunds?

I sent them a video of what mine was doing and they want it sent back for testing, I believe you had that request before as well.

I’m trying to get a new one sent instead so I A. Don’t eat the shipping cost and B. Only have to tear my dash apart once.

I’m almost to the same annoyance level you’re at and willing to give it up entirely. I will want a refund.

If you are okay with the aesthetics, the Gamiviti plate is a great solution. I hang my iPad mini, GMRS handset and my phone off ram mounts on mine and it works great for trips.

I used the yak attack track so the ram mounts are removable. I added two double USB ports, so there are fewer cables all over the place, and with short cables, it is a pretty tidy solution.

Also, as recommended by Tim, I bought a replacement factory cover plate so I can go back to stock quickly. I don't mind the way it looks though, so I just leave it in.
Are you talking about this?

So no refunds?

I sent them a video of what mine was doing and they want it sent back for testing, I believe you had that request before as well.

I’m trying to get a new one sent instead so I A. Don’t eat the shipping cost and B. Only have to tear my dash apart once.

I’m almost to the same annoyance level you’re at and willing to give it up entirely. I will want a refund.
Refunds are partly a function of how long one has had the device and whether they have determined it can be fixed or not (either with replacement cables, a repaired main unit, or a new main unit). There's going to be a shipping cost no matter what though - they aren't going to send you a replacement AND let you keep the one you're having trouble with, nor are they going to give you a refund without shipping the product back to them first. Unfortunately, that's part of the risk when we buy stuff from the other side of the world - shipping gets $$$ fast.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear you guys are having problems when a number of us have had these working fine for a while now. Hopefully this isn't a sign of a bad batch of products.

Refunds are partly a function of how long one has had the device and whether they have determined it can be fixed or not (either with replacement cables, a repaired main unit, or a new main unit). There's going to be a shipping cost no matter what though - they aren't going to send you a replacement AND let you keep the one you're having trouble with, nor are they going to give you a refund without shipping the product back to them first. Unfortunately, that's part of the risk when we buy stuff from the other side of the world - shipping gets $$$ fast.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear you guys are having problems when a number of us have had these working fine for a while now. Hopefully this isn't a sign of a bad batch of products.
I understand what you’re saying. However, I have no problem sending my unit back once I receive a new one. The main reason I want the new one first is because I don’t have the box for the old one anymore so it would make shipping the old one back much easier, and I just don’t want to pull apart the car multiple times. Sometimes a business has to accept that failures are possible and making the effort to make that failure as easy as possible for their customer is the right thing to do and the cost of doing business. I’m not even asking them to recoup my shipping costs… yet. If I get another unit and it fails I will be asking for a refund along with shipping costs and my initial install cost. I could have spent that money on a really sweet awning but I chose to spend it on their product instead, they should step up and be worthy of mine and future business.

Also, you bring up a good point about a bad batch. I wonder where mine and @Cincodemustache stack up on production numbers… it would be good to know if there could be a batch issue or is this just something to attribute to Covid production woes.

Latest update on my warranty claim:

They want the unit back but are open to a refund and said they would cover shipping. For a full refund they need everything back, this makes sense, I just don’t have the box. Regardless if it is repaired or completely replaced there will be no additional warranty added. I bought this in August last year, it was installed in September or October and I took delivery of the vehicle on March 25. Issues popped up within a month. If I get it back and installed I will have a little over a year left on the warranty.

Currently, I’m tearing apart the dash and remembering why I absolutely despise this type of auto work, the vehicle has just at 2k miles on the clock and this type of tear down wasn’t ever on my radar…I paid for the original install.

So at this point I’m on the fence, ship it back and get a repaired or replaced unit and do this all over again or just ride with the native setup and enjoy the tech of the early aughts.

Ugh… I guess this was more of a vent and regroup post than anything else.

Issue solved with a new LVD cable. Here was the issue…just a pinch point was all it took.

EC’s customer support was great here.

View attachment 2990015
Hi guys-

I have not been following this thread lately but tried to catch up on the posts.

As for the LVD cable I had blackouts/flickering on the OEM system and they sent me a replacement right away which solved my issue. They told me it was an optical cable so defintely want to be careful with bends etc on install. I re-positioned my box to reduce fatigue/kinks. Zero problems since.

Do I wish Toyota had put carplay in the OEM systm... yes. but they didn't so this is the next best option in my opinion...There are a few quirky things about the box/interface but all in all I'm extremely happy with the product and customer support. I am going to add another camera to the system soon to try out and will let you know how that goes. Thry sent a quick video for camera setup and how to access differently from the OEM backup camera. My plan is to use it as a trailer camera.

Hi guys-

I have not been following this thread lately but tried to catch up on the posts.

As for the LVD cable I had blackouts/flickering on the OEM system and they sent me a replacement right away which solved my issue. They told me it was an optical cable so defintely want to be careful with bends etc on install. I re-positioned my box to reduce fatigue/kinks. Zero problems since.

Do I wish Toyota had put carplay in the OEM systm... yes. but they didn't so this is the next best option in my opinion...There are a few quirky things about the box/interface but all in all I'm extremely happy with the product and customer support. I am going to add another camera to the system soon to try out and will let you know how that goes. Thry sent a quick video for camera setup and how to access differently from the OEM backup camera. My plan is to use it as a trailer camera.
Dom - can you share that video they sent?

Other than the occasional quirks that would be nice to get rid of, the only thing I would REALLY like to have over and above the EC Offroad type solution is a way to swap out the low resolution factory screen with a high resolution screen (720P or preferably 1080P) while still maintaining the ability to switch between factory mode and Android mode. The only ways I know of to get a higher resolution display mean completely getting rid of the factory infotainment and HVAC controls and I'm just not prepared to go that far yet.

Hi guys-

I second the request for the video about linking a camera. Currently, for my camper, I’m using a haloview wireless camera which transmits to a replacement rear view mirror. It works well and the mirror doesn’t replace the Toyota mirror, it just attaches to it.

As far as the EC Off-road unit. I 100% agree with you, when mine was working I absolutely loved it. I’m willing to work with quirks but the complete failure of the main display is more than a quirk.

How do you have yours mounted and situated behind your dash? You can see mine in post #302.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom