Early pickup/hilux and 4-runner tech and classifieds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm warming to his schtick...wish he'd have used a new Tacoma, or HE 200 Series, rather than a mint survivor.

I’ve got nothing….. I actually have a lot but not good to share in public. Why trash something that could be saved or used.
Plus fact that things he was doing on Hells Gate were dangerous, if you wanta die, please ELane faster but when someone/others involved don’t.

Nothing else wouid hold up like a stock Hilux to this.

Maybe he’s the one that paid $134,000 for the 1000 mile 80 series for the next test. That would make the ultimate Cruiser head explosion

I'd subscribe to see that!

Nothing else wouid hold up like a stock Hilux to this.

Maybe he’s the one that paid $134,000 for the 1000 mile 80 series for the next test. That would make the ultimate Cruiser head explosion

I think an 80 series would hold up even better to the testing so far. The hilux durability advantages are going to be water fording, ease of repair, and upgrades, but where else are they tougher than a cruiser.

Hilux is better off road for being lighter, narrow, and the springs are over the axle. But those same things make it more delicate than the 80 series.

I see nothing delicate. It’s all balanced to the truck. Sure you can’t run 37s on a 8” diff that hard but the key to that HiLux is how it is stock.

The 80 would not have driven 3 miles with no coolant.

I see nothing delicate. It’s all balanced to the truck. Sure you can’t run 37s on a 8” diff that hard but the key to that HiLux is how it is stock.

The 80 would not have driven 3 miles with no coolant.
My wife drove our 80 with no coolant until the motor locked up tight.

Don't know if it made it 3 miles before seizing, though.

I met her and switched vehicles. Waited about an hour, filled the 80 with coolant and drove it another 50k miles. (After doing the PHH!)

I think it was just the radiator fan that broke. Or was it really zero coolant. An L series will crack its head just as easily as the head gasket goes on a 1FZ.

I see it as timing belt vs timing chain, push-pull vs crossover steering, flat transfer case vs one that hangs way down below the frame, full float rear axle vs semi float, disk vs drum brakes. The cruiser is just more solid in the body, frame, and drive train. Even has a tighter turning radius by a few feet.

The hilux is simple and easier to fix but I don't think it is engineered for the same abuse before breaking.

Land cruiser 40% stronger... 50% heavier.

Electric cooling fan wire was cut in two by the crank pulley. Had water in it until it all boiled out. 3lt has a much better cylinder head casting which helps prevent cracks that plagued the earlier cylinder heads. A 1fz ran hot doesn’t necessarily mean a blown head gasket but a 1fz with some miles combined with the hot exhaust running through the back of the head for the EGR provides a perfect storm usually resulting in a blown Head gasket or a warped cylinder head. Won’t even get into what happens on a 1fz if the coolant ends up in the oil and it is driven for a period of time.

On another note one cannot jump an 80 without tweaking the front axle housing. Another issue is the high pinion front 3rd, going up steep hills in reverse is bad news. Reverse up hells gate is a guaranteed popped front ring and pinion in an 80. The 80 series is very capable and well built but I guarantee Whistlindiesel would completely destroy an 80 series in one episode.

This is pimp and on eBay

5BFB2D7E-8278-4263-AC75-E1EA2C973AC2.jpeg

It was on Mud for a while. Has some (disclosed) issues, but very cool.

This is pimp and on eBay

View attachment 2712101
" Heat? A/C? What’s that. Heater control on the dash is janky and needs repair. Roll the windows down. This is a freakin manly trail truck. If you get uncomfortable, hot, don’t like bumps or rattles, this is notprobably not the truck for you.So that’s it! A full package project trail truck no part out, no trades, no BS. Is what it is. Now It can all be yours.  Located in Winston Salem, NCas/is, where is. Don’t message me asking me if it will make the drive to New York, Florida, Detroit, LA, or where ever you might be. It’s a trail truck, not a highway cruiser."

#AWESOMENESS

Summer do engaged.
20220605_184624.jpg

Picked up these chrome 60 wheels from @FJ60Cam that I'm thinking about throwing on.

Picked this 1985 4Runner up from Greg on Saturday. Runs like a top. Need to fix the AC, but otherwise just gonna rock it this summer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom