Early heater questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is a '67 model and I've always wondered what the story was on the heater or lack thereof. I've got what appears to be an aftermarket unit that the PO installed. It has the Nippondenso logo and part number stamped on the side but I can't find any info. I'm wondering if my truck came from the factory with a different heater. I have some holes in the firewall that appear to be factory but covered with fiberglass. My side panels do not have the heater vents cut into them. But the truck does have factory defrost vents. There is also a plug in the factory wiring harness near by that has had a wire cut from it. Anyone have any insights as to what may be going on here?

IMG_3388.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3390.JPG

image.jpg

Is your rig from south america? By 67 it should of had a factory heater and everything that goes with it. (giant hole for fan for example) I have a 64 that didn't come with a factory heater, and had a square style one installed which was a popular option.
I've never seen your style heater before...

Not that I'm aware of. Original owner bought it new in Texas. I still have his registration card. My VIN dates it as a '66 truck, but it's titled as a '67.

I had a 68 that did not have a heater, so heater-less rigs were still being offered. What a horrible way to save $50!

Did some poking ... it is around 74' mini truck heater aka a Hilux

Thanks for the info. This one seems to work alright. I'm just going to clean it up and run fresh ducts to my defrost vents

I'd love to see how the PO had it mounted inside... was it offset?

So it was drawing in air to the heater from inside the truck only right?

He didn't remove the center cowl vent cover for air intake did he? Or plumb into it ?

I'll post pics here when I get it reinstalled. It was bolted under the glove box and into the firewall.

Yes it's only pulling air from inside the cab. There's a flap to switch from defrost to cab air. Each of my defrost vents have hose running to them, but only one was hooked up. I've got to figure out some way to make a tee so both defrost vents can get air.

Nothing was plumbed into the center cowl vent. It has a 2 speed switch wired into the dash. Everything was done pretty clean for a retrofit.

Here's a pic from my build thread from the day I brought it home. Truck also had a retrofit A/C system at one time. I've since pulled all of that but still have it. It's an R12 system
IMG_3391.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom