Builds "Dumpie" my new Fj45 work truck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First time using a wet sandblasting setup on a regular pressure washer, WOW! It really works! The back of the tub represents about 7 minutes! 3200psi and Home Depot #30 sand. Messy, but great results!
A9E2C533-033F-4330-A3FE-C4CD79358E60.jpeg

I am looking for a distress blaster to connect to my power washer. Any recommendations? I am planning to clean up some parts of the 45 I picked up.

Wow, how much did you blast with P washer? How long did it take? Would you buy the system again?
Looks great.
Mike

The tub looks great but I don’t think there is much hope for the hood. Keep up the good work Brian!

Another few hours with the wet sandblasting! Bed is now in primer, again remarkably in good shape, only one bad spot with some filler. Did the seat frames as well. Dumpie is now safe in the garage out of the elements, should keep me busy with winter looming.
3EA5C857-F5B0-437C-B720-42EE0BC70D5F.jpeg
5629AF5E-B3F9-43A0-9DD2-762A297F7665.jpeg
A1750A7F-E40B-48F3-B058-B349DFE5DB54.jpeg
F9A4D39F-8E01-47E3-85E1-0AB52E25EF9F.jpeg

Sweet x2.

Curious - how many 5gal buckets of play sand did you go through to get this far, and what’s your PW psi? (my cheapo Karcher is only 1200).

Last edited:
20 5lb bags @ $5.00 so pretty cheap way to strip. I started with a 2k psi electric and it was very slow. Bumped up to my gas 3.2k psi Honda and it was night and day! I recommend at least 3k psi and keep the sand dry. I don’t think this is good for newer light gauge sheet metal, but these old cruisers are tough. I didn’t experience any warpage, the great thing is the water keeps down the heat of normal sand blasting. The biggest downfall is all the sand that gets into every nook and cranny! I spent a lot of time with the air blower and let it dry out a couple days before any primer.

Skip, I have been following your build, definitely need to see it when finished. You are getting close to the fun stage. Love the power plant, been a German tech for 30 years, so the Benz engine is a fun blend of German, Japanese, fusion! Keep going!

Skip, I have been following your build, definitely need to see it when finished. You are getting close to the fun stage. Love the power plant, been a German tech for 30 years, so the Benz engine is a fun blend of German, Japanese, fusion! Keep going!
Ya those 606 engines are special, just getting ready to tear it down and fresh it up. Going to punch it out .5MM so I have a round bore, big turbo, balance, and clean up the exhaust side ports, and 603 M pump with 7.5 elements should be around 325 hp and plenty of torque with great fuel numbers. I never thought that 45 of yours would look so good with that amount of work, great job my friend.

Been a while, haven’t really done too much. I did get the top on, headache rack, and I got new taillights in today. This is an Aussie bed, so it’s a late model 4 hinge and the valance takes later 40 taillights. I was happy not to have to source early 45 taillights! The center had wide holes for what had to be an Aussie plate. So the nsw plate came off the garage wall and bolted right up!
0C8280F1-E0BC-4426-8C71-883567800DD5.jpeg
48B70010-7DBA-4113-B066-132AFF21C0F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom