Dual lunchbox lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Point me in the right direction if discussed. I have a LockRight in the rear of my 80. It was going to be temporary, but I really like it. It’s not noisy, it only locks when I need it. I think being a full time 4x4 helps out the manners. Question being have any of you run them front & rear. I have a feeling that could totally change the dynamics.

I don't think you'll like it as long as truck is still full time, BUT I havent actually tried it with open center diff... it could be smooth sailing. I have run front lunchboxes in 3 different vehicles, solid axle hilux, first gen taco and an HDJ81 with part time kit.

With front axle engaged steering does get heavier and vehicle does have tendency to understeer (but youll get used to it...) in slippery (think icy winter roads) conditions although center diff lock button (do you have one? Not familliar with north american spec 80s..) is handy quick way to apply power to front only when needed and disengage front axle the rest of the time for winter driving. (with hubs locked mind you, same as shifting from 2H to 4H in a part time vehicle)

In "2H" with hubs locked or in the case of a part time kit in the 81 with center diff unlocked and hubs engaged there is no change in feel. On the trail youll find turning radius is reduced with front axle engaged but for me the traction when you need it has always made the down sides a non issue.

Fun facts, the Australian company "LOKKA" (manufacturer of "Aussie Locker" branded units) sells a part time kit for the 80 series with a front locker and aftermarket hubs included. Very reasonably priced ($630 USD! possibly duty on top of that?) but lead time can be a month or two. I went this route on my 81, was very happy for cost and time to do install vs. performance benefits. Kit with bearing pressed onto spool (spool in question replaces existing center differential spider gears in tcase) makes it a strictly nuts and bolts experience. If youre a crafty guy with air or electric tools can do locker on a Saturday and part time on a Sunday.

Part number is I *believe* "TOY-FO-980".
LOKKA - https://lokka.com/

If you order the kit, you'll be able to install and test front locker, while having the parts on hand to complete part time conversion if you choose. If for some reason you don't use the tcase components, youll still have a part time kit to sell trade or whatever. Is nice to save wear and fuel without front axle spinning all the time.

CDL button required to make use of part time kit in high range unless I'm missing something. Long day... :beer:

I had an Aussie locker in the front of my last 80 and really regretted it. Steering was very difficult at the times when I really felt like I needed to be able to steer easily. It may depend on what type of conditions you wheel in. Mine was steep and muddy. Edit - I had part time 4wd in that truck because it had a split case swapped in.

full time 4x4, dont do it
part time 4x4, go for it, very few drawbacks, i have had this setup in 2 different trucks now

a selectable in the front is arguably a better option, but for how i use my truck the cost vs benefit comes out on the side of a detriot
btw detroits are tougher than the lockrights/aussies in a heavier truck

Like others have said, definitely don't do a lunchbox locker in the front if you are staying full time 4WD. Going to part time 4WD with manual locking hubs would be the only way to do it and have acceptable behavior. But you'll have to get used to running at least one hub unlocked when offroad unless you want the horrible steering that comes with a locked up front diff.

Roger. I’ve only had them in part times. They worked well in those applications. I could see them being a train wreck in a full time.

I run a LockRight in the rear and a Detroit up front in mine, but I grew up in locked or welded FJ40s and 55s and my 80 is part-time. I love it and will probably never own a selectable that isn't factory. Factory selectable is sure nice.

Like others said. Selectable locker or part time case.
That’s a definite drawback of the “full time” 4wd.

When I lock the front with my 3x locked, it barely wants to turn at all. I don't think it's a good idea if you'll ever go around a corner under power, unless maybe you do part time.

note
When I lock the front with my 3x locked, it barely wants to turn at all. I don't think it's a good idea if you'll ever go around a corner under power, unless maybe you do part time.
note- lunchbox or detroits arent locked all the time like a selectable so cornering isnt as bad as a selectable when you arent on the gas full hog.
thats the benefit of an auto locker... decent manners without having to engage or disengage it

downside, NOT being able to engage or disengage it!
but it does it itself.....so you just need to know how you use your truck and what youre willing to put up with during 90% of your driving habits

full time and auto lockers = possible unpredictable daily driving manners when on and off the throttle, so for safety a definite no go

I ran dual Lockrigts in my fj55, spring over with a 350 Chevy. As a part time setup with selectable hubs it worked great on the street as my daily driver. On the trail all locked up it was really great.

I always ran lock-rights front and rear on my samurai with manual locking hubs in the front. Birfield's are much more forgiving than open-knuckle steering when it comes to front lockers. I never had much issue with steering with my lock-right up front while hubs were engaged. Never the less, if you go with a lunchbox up front, you definitely want a part-time case and manual locking hubs. A lock-right is normally locked. It will ratchet under a high-stress situation, such as making a tight turn on pavement. A limited-slip is normally unlocked, until it senses wheel spin.

The only scenario I would run auto lockers front and rear in an awd 80 series would be no pavement, no snow, and only flat land mud.

So in other words only if the rig was in a desert with no pavement or if the rig was a ranch only truck in the flat muddy southern states.

-

Last edited:
Point me in the right direction if discussed. I have a LockRight in the rear of my 80. It was going to be temporary, but I really like it. It’s not noisy, it only locks when I need it. I think being a full time 4x4 helps out the manners. Question being have any of you run them front & rear. I have a feeling that could totally change the dynamics.

it only locks when you need it :lol:

would you like my old one ?

ill pay the one-way shipping to you , no problem i would love to find it a warm loving home ....

well PM to finalize the details

thanks

matt

40b5dda6-32e8-4a24-9cdc-d33aa9ad5985-jpeg.3203864

d760c6fa-7a2c-4934-808f-03eca7044a4d-jpeg.3203867

ea225041-38cc-470b-87d2-14a4c0af4c49-jpeg.3203862

e8a4f5fc-11f0-422d-8f88-ee0193a56437-jpeg.3203866

it only locks when you need it :lol:

would you like my old one ?

ill pay the one-way shipping to you , no problem i would love to find it a warm loving home ....

well PM to finalize the details

thanks

matt

40b5dda6-32e8-4a24-9cdc-d33aa9ad5985-jpeg.3203864

d760c6fa-7a2c-4934-808f-03eca7044a4d-jpeg.3203867

ea225041-38cc-470b-87d2-14a4c0af4c49-jpeg.3203862

e8a4f5fc-11f0-422d-8f88-ee0193a56437-jpeg.3203866
what happened to it?
shear the pin ?

what happened to it?
shear the pin ?

i get anxious when i close my eyes and Loud BANG accompanied by THOR and ODEN 's sledge hammers hitting my rear bumper 's Fame Rivets at the same exact instant , would cause my precious GHOST to LURCH forward at a 15-20" angle one way or the other ...

this got rapidly worse , until driving approx. 35-40mph down a VERY straight road , there was a very very big BANG , at both REAR tires locked up dead nuts SOLID .

i came the closest thing to loosing total control a vehicle during normal steady driving in my entire life , i am absolutely sure it could of ROLLED with me not at all really holding the steering wheel with 2 hands let alone one normally , when the exact moment in time occurred ,

i was able to gain some limited control back again as i ground to a mild side ways skidding dead nuts stop , as fast and hard as it all only seconds earlier without any warning signs my " GHETTO LUNCH BOX Product " had a catastrophic mechanical event failure in a instant ...

- i had GHOST Towed Home via a roll back back to the SKUNK-WORKS Laboratory , because BOTH rear tires remained LOCKED-UP , i did not try to actually drive her again , rather me and 2 TECH's from the UNITED RENTALS store place whom i had more or less skidded into there shop drive entrance way , all 3 at once tried to hand push / roll GHOST with the MTM in neutral , and the E-Brake released fully , NOTTA.....

i had no towing coverage or JACK because , my Insurance had NOT yet transitioned from the VERBAL you call it in after u are handed the TITLE signed by the Previous Owner keys in hand moment liability ONLY coverage , because that's the way it is........... needed 1st adventure drive journey straight the F#CK home ..

- i might be a spoiled T-TEN educated OCD purist hard core fundamentals approach by the FSM BRATT , but who in there right mind out there would not stop at there LOCAL NAPA and SCOOP up there pre-planed and well self-brought up to speed on the 2nd best possible ENGINE OIL available on the market today , next to AMSOIL , ROYAL PURPLE Full Synthetic 20W50 8QTS and already have there OEM DENSO Blue Box Full size canister OIL Filter in hand , so the key turns OFF after you take the LONG WAY across town on your way ho home because your GIDDY as all get out , and its setting in SOLID that this is REAL and this is actually mine now mind set , i don't dare ignite that 3FE again until the UN-KNOWN in the Windage Trays is drained out , because it was basically summer time out , and the PO proudly showed me his mini-horde of both 5w30 conventical and 10w30 conventual 5qt jugs ..SHELL ROTILLA DIESEL Engine OIL ..........:oops:

- my full-on Sermon-TECH regarding the Engine Oil topic , was documented in a 5 part mini-me You Tube T-TEN Technical Channel , a Series of REEL's Shorts , that dive DEEP into your OEM factory Viscosity Charts in your Glove Box owners manual .....

- ok , i got off topic all chatty-matty-style ....1000 qt. size apologies :D

- ok , back to the DIRT on a CRUMBY-Little-SH#T named LUNCH ,,

- this product SUCKS because the simple fundamental of a metallurgy Stress contact release pressure point on and off and on and off over a period of time is simple SHOCK AND AWE to your entire Powertrain and Chassis system fundamental parts at there CORE level

- over the Course of the nuts and bolts force-fed job repair i embarked on and did my best to document from a T-TEN Scientific study observe and verify approach , because i truly wanted to learn a needed new SKILL-SET here at the roots , i confirmed and verified 1 of my possible theory's that the constant BANGING SHOCK was completely un-naturale and also , had plagued the PO in the longer-term past , as i encountered a host of REAR drive-train repairs , and NON-TOYOTA replacement parts some of which i have never encountered before ?

- i never to date have googled online to find similar events by other " THIS SUCK - Product " vehicle owner operators ?

- i pondered it for a moment during on-set evaluation procedures jack GHOST up on jack stands safely , confirm the entire power train was 100% immobilized and take her KICKS off for a more then moderate lookie lookie see see .....

- i am done posting my concrete facts above and my story how it was written for me by the TEq Cards i was dealt by the dirty little dealer called LUNCH-BOX ....

- thanks for letting me share , it helps :grinpimp:

kindly ,
matt

I ran dual Lockrigts in my fj55, spring over with a 350 Chevy. As a part time setup with selectable hubs it worked great on the street as my daily driver. On the trail all locked up it was really great.

^^^^^

Agreed. I have a 1970 Bronco Half Cab with a full Detroit Locker in the 9" rear and a Lockrite up front. No problem to daily drive it on pavement (2H with hubs unlocked).

Also a 1990 model full size Bronco with Lockrites front and rear (manual hubs) no problem on pavement there either.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles on both vehicles.

^^^^^

Agreed. I have a 1970 Bronco Half Cab with a full Detroit Locker in the 9" rear and a Lockrite up front. No problem to daily drive it on pavement (2H with hubs unlocked).

Also a 1990 model full size Bronco with Lockrites front and rear (manual hubs) no problem on pavement there either.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles on both vehicles.

can anyone examine my TECH. photos and pinpoint exactly what brand L-BOX was installed ?

- i found out early on my roller ride off near DOOM ,, that LUNCH BOX is a loosely worded term at times , that some folks and places online use to refer to this crude form of meshing mechanical metallurgy into Meyhem ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom