Driving and.... horrible grinding noise intermittent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been chasing down a lot of problems with my 80 lately.

Haven't been able to touch much.. but I am driving to work today and all of a sudden a sound scares the living **** out of me. Felt something through the driveline/front end, and a super loud grinding noise. It may be hard to describe, sometimes it last a second or two longer or sometimes its really quick. But I need to get this solved quickly so I can head on a trip.

I took a video, It shows it very shortly and hopefully it is somewhat good enough so you guys can hear what I am talking about.

Maintenance recently done:
Both driveshafts and all U-Joints lubricated 1,000 miles ago. All diff fluid changed in last 2,000 miles. Knuckle rebuild/inner axle seal replacement(Marlin Crawler/Trail Gear) and wheel bearing replacement(Koyo) done 3,000 miles ago along with front brakes (OEM). That was done by a local Toyota shop Dealer drained and refilled tranny 500 miles ago. Engine oil changed with OEM filter.

Last edited:
I hear an odd sound like a rubbing, I have no idea

Happens at 0:09, and usually last longer than that but it can be felt in the truck.

Ok check front wheel bearings and rears, but I am thinking there oh and check you tranny fluid

Ok check front wheel bearings and rears, but I am thinking there oh and check you tranny fluid

Front wheel bearings have been replaced and repacked 1,000 miles ago.. I can get around and try to check the rears tomorrow. Tranny fluid is clean and full.

What gets me is how random this happens.. never happened on the freeway, usually when driving from 0-50 and totally random.

Does it happen when your just driving straight or after turning? When was the driveline greased last?

I can't tell much from your video, but check your exhaust hangers. I chased around a grinding noise for a few weeks and it ended up being the driveshaft rubbing the exhaust.

t-case output bearing? My front makes a lot of nasty grinding noise at slack throttle or when coasting.

Does it happen when your just driving straight or after turning? When was the driveline greased last?

When just driving straight. Driveline was greased 1,000 miles ago

sounds like driveline or brakes. Check the ebrake cables.
Grease fittings sometimes clog.
Brake calipers lossen up.
Time to get under it.

The fact that you recently did some work on some items makes them more suspect, rather than less.

hold onto the transfer case knob, see if you feel a vibration through it.

sounds like driveline or brakes. Check the ebrake cables.
Grease fittings sometimes clog.
Brake calipers lossen up.
Time to get under it.

I had an issue where it was grinding and you could hear the grinding sound. Piston on one of the front brakes was stuck and grinding on the rotor. Once it started it was grinding more than it wasn't though.

Exercise the ( lock it in a couple of times ) truck on the way home from work.
DINGDINGDINGDING!!

Winner.

Dry spindle bushing. Known issue.

Class dismissed.:doh:

DINGDINGDINGDING!!

Winner.

Dry spindle bushing. Known issue.
If Tool are us were here, he'd be the first one to tell you that you need to make sure that you fill the knuckle 3/4 full of moly,if it's low you'll have problems like this.

Hopefully the OP will let us know what he finds in there.

I had the same issue your describing. It was the brass bushing in a front spindle.

I documented it in Post 173
NC LX450

Im leaning towards this or front DS/TC bearings.

Thanks for all the help everyone, its greatly appreciated.

Since the problem was intermittent and I work so close to home, I drove it. I was leaving work today only to be greeted by this getting much much much worse, I was literally right next to the Toyota dealer and I have a friend there. It was so bad, that I was stuck on the side of the road for a bit a limped over to the dealer. In the morning I will hear back, I have had not had much time to go through it, and if its indeed the front axle its going back to Yotamasters here in Corona who did the front end rebuild. I'll be able to hang there and we will figure out whats going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom