Drive an FJ60 without front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the knuckles on my '85 FJ60. I've got everything apart right now, but while separating the birfield joint from the axle, the snap ring that keeps them together, well...snapped. I apparently didn't do enough research to know this was common so I unfortunately don't have a replacement ready.

This is my daily driver so it needs to be running again by Monday. So the questions are:
  1. What alternatives (if any) are available for this snap ring? After hunting for these clips, an immediate, local replacement doesn't sound possible.
  2. Can I put the knuckle back together without the axle and drive her for a week without it? I've searched around and haven't been able to find a definitive answer but I vaguely remember reading mention of this somewhere. Obviously no 4WD until I can take everything back apart to put the axle back in. There's the issue of gear oil from the diff leaking into the knuckle; any better ideas than simply stuffing a rag there in the meantime? I would be opening her back up next weekend so I'd expect around 200 miles in this configuration. The only parts I plan on not installing would be the birfield and axle, is there anything I'm not thinking of?
Thanks in advance for the input! Always amazed/grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience on this site.

I see no reason why not. The knuckle housing and wheel hub don't require the axle shaft (or birfield joint) to be present in order for the wheel hub or knuckle to function properly (that I can see).

The knuckle upper and lower trunnion bearings though still need to be greased, and with the birfield joint gone, there will be a LARGE cavernous opening in the knuckle cavity that won't be conducive to holding grease up near the top bearing. So if you pack a rag in there with a good greased top, (and bottom) that should hold enough grease in place for a week of driving

That internal birfield joint snap ring is still available from Toyota. Don't use anything else but that exact ring when joining the axle shaft back to the birf. It's designed to shear when a certain amount of force is applied to it (to be able to separate the two parts).

Last edited:
where are you located? hit up a local club, maybe someone has one???
Martac???
you will be fine, you could shove a rag or similar in the axle tube. only thing is you'll need to pull it all apart again to finish the project, at least you wouldn't need to re-pack the bearings again.

I see no reason why not. The knuckle housing and wheel hub don't require the axle shaft (or birfield joint) to be present in order for the wheel hub or knuckle to function properly (that I can see).

The knuckle upper and lower trunnion bearings though still need to be greased, and with the birfield joint gone, there will be a LARGE cavernous opening in the knuckle cavity that won't be conducive to holding grease up near the top bearing. So if you pack a rag in there with a good greased top, (and bottom) that should hold enough grease in place for a week of driving

That internal birfield joint snap ring is still available from Toyota. Don't use anything else but that exact ring when joining the axle shaft back to the birf. It's designed to shear when a certain amount of force is applied to it (to be able to separate the two parts).

This.

You will be 100% fine.

Don't run it without the correct clip though!

No need to pull DS or anything.

Ha, back in 2003 I was installing an ARB in the front of my FJ62 but needed the truck as my DD so I drove it for a week or so with no front axle shafts and no diff. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to cover the gaping hole in the axle. Stuffed rags in the spindles. No issues.

Edit: just remembered I had this photo
DiffCover.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I’ll probably do as mwebfj60 said and drain the diff oil to be safe. Not super stoked about doing this job 1.5x, but at least all the rust is broken apart now!

The rings are ordered, but I’m in Denver/front range Colorado if anyone’s feeling generous ;)

Hoping to be Moab ready by April and finally get a chance to test out that new suspension!

3238EE6E-BD15-465C-83A8-9C39314E67A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom