Drag link replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like I'm in need of a new drag link and tie rods. Also a sleeve? Who's got the best kit? I've got a 94, and it's got the 3inch Icon lift on 35's. Yes, I've searched google and the search function here, but haven't seen much as far as the best kit would be. Thank you in advance.

The upgrade option I like is available from Front Range off road. I don’t remember them offering a kit so you’d have to select the rods and rod ends individually. Their rods have flats machined at the ends for a wrench unlike some others out there.

I run oem rod ends ever since learning that the quality of the rubber boot and quality and quantity of grease is superior to aftermarket rod ends I’ve used.

n00b question here: is the tie rod in front of the axle and the drag link behind the axle? I had been calling the linkage behind the axle the relay rod. Pardon me if this is equivalent to asking what color the number C is.

n00b question here: is the tie rod in front of the axle and the drag link behind the axle? I had been calling the linkage behind the axle the relay rod. Pardon me if this is equivalent to asking what color the number C is.
The tie rod is the rod that ties the 2 steering knuckles together. It lives behind the axle. The relay rod or drag link runs from the steering box pitman arm to the opposite steering knuckle in front of the axle.

I run the Moog Problem Solver set up. Been through many wheeling trips and works just fine.
Do you have a link for the exact setup by chance?

Slee is apparently quite proud of their steering rods and last I knew they were an odd wall thickness of .219”. Front range drag link is same price as the tie rod and .250” wall. Half the price of Slee. Makes me wonder. @GOTLOCKED96

I ordered a heavy duty steering kit from man a free a few years ago it has been great.

I saw a social media post from a fellow mudder stating that 555 and OEM TREs are the same. Is that true? A few trusted names on this thread touting the value of OEM TREs, but it looks like the price point is between $20 and $40 more expensive for OEM.

Thank's for all the feedback on this! I ended up with the Marlin Crawler kit. Man a Free was backorder for at least a month and Slee was kind of expensive for me.

I saw a social media post from a fellow mudder stating that 555 and OEM TREs are the same. Is that true? A few trusted names on this thread touting the value of OEM TREs, but it looks like the price point is between $20 and $40 more expensive for OEM.
555 is made in Japan, but is not OEM.

Slee is apparently quite proud of their steering rods and last I knew they were an odd wall thickness of .219”. Front range drag link is same price as the tie rod and .250” wall. Half the price of Slee. Makes me wonder. @GOTLOCKED96

I have the front range drag link per Baldilocks. They have been holding up very well so far.

I have the front range drag link per Baldilocks. They have been holding up very well so far.
But Baldilocks has a Slee drag link. LOL I bought it in 2015 after making my own HD tie rod and finding out doing that didn’t really save any money. The older Slee drag link has a .219” wall, I don’t know about their new ones. Mine has taken a beating and isn’t straight anymore. It continues to work. I’m on my second HD tie rod which is from Front Range whose prices are a bit more reasonable. It’s been bent a couple times but I own a press now so it can be forced back into a “straight enough” state when necessary.

What steering stabilizer is everyone rocking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom