Door Handle Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
Help me out, who did the write up on fixing the wallowed out door gear. I have a couple that needs some love and was wanting to play with a fix. Thinking NicP, but can't remember.

IMG_3126.JPG

Thanks,
Ron

Nope not me... although you gave me one more thing I need to look at and see if it needs rebuilt.

Do the 'bear claw' conversion. I wanna see it done right! Way better than the stock configuration. Maybe it 'bear jaw'. Not sure. I did it on mine and am stoked and my work sucks!

Dang, thought it was you. The one pictured is from a 69 door and I thought about trying a repair for fun. Somebody welded the hole, etc. I'm not sure of a plan yet, hoping to get some ideas.

Thanks Christiaan,

That's probably what I was thinking about. In this case, the metal under the hinges cracked and fatigued which made the whole door sag. Slamming the door closed abused the door gear. Just spares, but would like to try the fix. These are the 69 doors I got from Shelby's parts pig. Three of the doors never had the door card off, but every component had 48 years of caked grease and dirt on it.

Something I never seen before, were the little plastic "shower caps" on the coiled springs for the window regulators. I'm guessing Toyota put them on to keep water off, interesting. Well worth the effort to take your doors apart once and clean everything before lubricating.

I wanna say I saw something similar, R. seems to me that the gear could be slightly pocket milled around the tip that sticks into the bushing hole in order to make room for an actual bushing to be pressed thru the cleaned up hole...I had thought about using the bear claw latches, but I wanted to try to make the OEM latches work before giving up on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom