Do I have to remove steering wheel to install new turn signal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to install turn signal on the column of my 72 FJ40 and it seems the only way it will install is to remove the steering wheel and slide down the steering shaft. Am I missing something? I have read that removing the steering wheel involves a special tool and I would rather avoid that if possible.

when I received the new turn signal in the mail I realized that part of the original is still on steering column.

Last photo shows the cheap solution the previous owner had come up with. There is even a bulb in the end...guess it is supposed to light up.

Thanks in advance for the help
8F35A2F8-E891-4E88-ABFC-28C1ED7FBC21.jpeg
81D5F8A1-CB59-465F-BCCC-D5F61084DBA0.jpeg
CE67D720-C3D1-4C63-B668-4306EABB0BC4.jpeg
2BC0D92D-AAE4-406A-9069-FC223D64A791.jpeg

Of course you have to remove it. Put the nut back on the shaft 3 - 4 turns, grab both spokes and wiggle the wheel off (the nut will keep it from smacking you in the face).

I am trying to install turn signal on the column of my 72 FJ40 and it seems the only way it will install is to remove the steering wheel and slide down the steering shaft. Am I missing something? I have read that removing the steering wheel involves a special tool and I would rather avoid that if possible.

when I received the new turn signal in the mail I realized that part of the original is still on steering column.

Last photo shows the cheap solution the previous owner had come up with. There is even a bulb in the end...guess it is supposed to light up.

Thanks in advance for the help View attachment 2355266View attachment 2355267View attachment 2355268View attachment 2355269
Fairly certain you can “rent” a steering wheel puller at your local auto parts store by simply giving them your license while you use it. I bought one cheap from Harbor Freight - use it a lot actually.

Years and years ago I watched a maintenance tech at the toyota dealership take the steering wheel off an early fj40. He took the nut off and then with a block of wood and a hammer he just tapped a few times around the base of the wheel and it popped right off. A couple of years ago I took mine off that way and it comes right off. Before it goes back on it is a good time to realign it so it sits straight. Also a little anti seize or even some oil on the splines and nut threads will make it even easier next time around.

Guys I have a steering wheel puller and every how to video I watch has a steering wheel that has 2 places for bolts to screw into and, as you can see from my photo I do not have those. How do I use the puller without those holes?

Is there something else I need to remove before pulling the wheel?
image.jpg

That's for the horn contacts, just remove it and you'll see the two holes.

Cruiser Steering Wheel.jpg

There is nothing else to take off. I've had good luck on a couple of FJ40s removing the steering wheel by hand and never needed a puller. Put the nut back on loosely (so you don't mangle the threads) and hit it with a dead blow hammer a few times. Then grab it firmly at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and rock the wheel back and forth until it releases. The wheel is large enough to get good leverage and you should be able to disengage the splines with a little effort.

^^^
This works...leave the nut on...dead blow...pull...pull...done.

I finally got the wheel off! Success! Thanks for everyone's input. The rubber gasket that has the spirals in it got destroyed, but already have a new one ordered from Specter Off Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom