DIY Gullwing Windows + Parts List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep wondering if this could be accomplished with custom tempered glass. Help me brainstorm any pros and cons of that vs metal.

I keep wondering if this could be accomplished with custom tempered glass. Help me brainstorm any pros and cons of that vs metal.
Main concern I would have is at the hinge and latch locations. Potential weak points that could result in breakage.

I was planning to replace my sliding windows with solid glass this summer but now wondering if I could live with a solid material there.

Main concern I would have is at the hinge and latch locations. Potential weak points that could result in breakage.

I was planning to replace my sliding windows with solid glass this summer but now wondering if I could live with a solid material there.
That’s kind of what I wondered. They’d have to drill/cut the holes before it was tempered I suppose.

You'd have to do all the cutting, drilling etc before tempering.
I don't see any reason it couldn't be done, not a lot different to frameless commercial glass doors.
You'd need to consider what fixings you use. Frameless glass systems use nylon bushes to separate fixings from the glass.

If you can't do it your self, I'd guess the cost would be hideous

You'd have to do all the cutting, drilling etc before tempering.
I don't see any reason it couldn't be done, not a lot different to frameless commercial glass doors.
You'd need to consider what fixings you use. Frameless glass systems use nylon bushes to separate fixings from the glass.

If you can't do it your self, I'd guess the cost would be hideous
Ha ha! Always the man drawback. Yeah, there’s all kinds of places that make custom tempered glass, but I feel like there’d be an unwanted amount of trial and error for a one odd piece.

Wouldn't plexiglass work and be easier to work with? I think 1/4" would be thick enough to keep them from being floppy.
That’s a good point. Probably would, but I think plexi tends to age poorly, a lot of times.

Lexan might be an option. It's a poly carbonate and it use for windshields on UTV's. The one on my RZR has held up well for several years now.
That’s good to know. I like the thought of not losing visibility. Tempered is pretty strong, but I bet there are other more workable options that are just as strong and nearly as durable.

Had my truck broken in thru the rear window, so taking the opportunity to upgrade to gull wings. Ordered all the material and will update this weekend when I do them.

3x4 5052 1/8 aluminum ran me about $160
Compression latches $71.76
Mac master trim - $62.57
I've noticed that one of the p/n wasnt updated, I've ordered a "deeper" trim seal - 8451A47
I'm also using southco friction hinge as that's what I had lying around - E6-10-208-50

For the window template, did you just trace out the inside and then subtract 3/8? That seems like you would add 3/8 to the edge to have the bulb gasket seal against the body. @chubbybunny

Last edited:
Had my truck broken in thru the rear window, so taking the opportunity to upgrade to gull wings. Ordered all the material and will update this weekend when I do them.

Mac master trim - $62.57
I've noticed that one of the p/n wasnt updated, I've ordered a "deeper" trim seal - 8451A47
I'm also using southco friction hinge as that's what I had lying around - E6-10-208-50

For the window template, did you just trace out the inside and then subtract 3/8? That seems like you would add 3/8 to the edge to have the bulb gasket seal against the body. @chubbybunny
Really looking forward to seeing how those hinges work out for you. Hinges are the one part I'm just not sure about with doing this myself... concerned about water ingress at the mounting points.

Currently made of 1/4 acrylic

Getting quotes for glass right now..

Currently made of 1/4 acrylic

Getting quotes for glass right now..
Sell these with aluminum for $400 and you will sell dozens

Mac master trim - $62.57

I've realized there might be a problem with that style of hinges. That's a flush hinge, meaning the aluminum will sit "level" with the outside body line. I don't know how deep the edge is between the outside body and the inside window frame edge, since I havent taken out the window yet. I guess I can order multiple hinges unless someone here knows the distance.View attachment 3215752

13323441-07C7-45F8-90CC-ABC66D907BD2.jpeg
2517FC6D-5932-4B41-B017-662DFF59BBCF.jpeg

The latches are terrible, going to get southco ones. I do not recommend compression latches from amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom