DIY Electric Power Steering (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got a pile of additional pictures and notes and tons of measurements if anyone has any requests.

A couple of questions on the measurements:
Measuring mine (still in the truck) the 9 5/8" seems perfect for the upper tube not including this part sticking out:
eps tube.jpg

And the shaft sticking out on top of the eps is 2 1/4 so my upper shaft will be a bit longer

The flange that bolts to the eps for the upper tube, did you butt weld that or slip the upper tube into it and weld? It measures out like it would slip into the new flange. Also, when the allen screw and nut are on the input shaft the flange does not fit over the shaft, even with the screw and nut tightened down as much as possible, did you run into this also?

eps coupler.jpg

A couple of questions on the measurements:
Measuring mine (still in the truck) the 9 5/8" seems perfect for the upper tube not including this part sticking out:
View attachment 1443343

And the shaft sticking out on top of the eps is 2 1/4 so my upper shaft will be a bit longer

The flange that bolts to the eps for the upper tube, did you butt weld that or slip the upper tube into it and weld? It measures out like it would slip into the new flange. Also, when the allen screw and nut are on the input shaft the flange does not fit over the shaft, even with the screw and nut tightened down as much as possible, did you run into this also?

View attachment 1443346
I don't have my measurements handy as were at Disneyland this weekend. However I did experience what your discussing with the Allen screw and nylock nut.... I just attacked it with a flapper wheel to 'round' it off. Works fine, but I put some blue med strength loctite on it anyway.

I'll post a pile of pictures when I'm able.

Thanks, say hi to Goofy for me

That looks exactly like what I bought.

I'm trying to adjust the potentiometer which is "under the round hole on the steering ECU"... however, i can't seem to find this adjuster. Can anyone share a pic of this adjuster? It's a bit early in CA or i'd call Ken. Any help, please share!

What are you trying to do? Do you not get enough adjustment from the knob?

What are you trying to do? Do you not get enough adjustment from the knob?
My steering turns really easy to the right but it's much more difficult when turning left.

In the epowersteering.com directions, it reads: "The steering can feel slightly softer to turn left than right (or the opposite). The potentiometer under the round hole on the Steering ECU is used to adjust this. It is EXTREMELY sensitive. Make very small adjustments if you feel the calibration is off."

Trying to find this adjustment so i can turn left as easily as i can turn right.

Gotcha, now I remember seeing that inn the instructions. Unfortunately I can't help because mine is fine so I never looked for the adjustment. Post up if you find it.

wow i used to get the kits from a guy in ebay italy. i did this too to a corolla racecar. went different
DSCN0832.JPG
DSCN0891.JPG
way as far as the bottoms tube but same setup...

The rheostat on mine was under a sticker on the square "brain" box. I think there might actually be 2 rheostats - but you shouldn't need to mess with the other. I think the one you want to mess with is the one with the round hole. Take a picture or note the position before moving and it's very sensitive - shouldn't take much. May want to call Ken - my memory isn't the best as the system has been working so flawlessly for 2 years now. So glad I went this direction.

tread lightly grasshopper

:clap:

Following! There's not much discussion on wiring this unit. How has everyone done it?

Main power to battery with fuse (40 amp, tried 30 amp but kept blowing when offroad) in between with big hot (red). Big ground (black) to frame.
Small red to accessory off fuse panel, I used radio wire. Small black to ground.

Do size 12 shoes create a problem with the electric steering motor installed ? Entry/Exit ? Clutch/Brake pedal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom