DIY Electric Power Steering (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have never had to weld a spud on the motor. It already came with splines on both ends.
in my situation, the power steering box DID have splines on it, but in order adapt the upper part of the shaft to the splines, Ken at epowersteering determined that the easiest way to adapt the shaft to a spline was to cut off the original splines and weld new ones on that work with the adapter (#4 above).

Yeah apparently that upper end spline on the motor is some wierd spline like a 23 count or something. Thats why we have to cut it off.
I search all over to find a dd x 23 spline. Now where to be found.
Thats why the stuff from Ken is well worth it.
I figured dd on each end with the proper spline would have made swapping EPS box out easy. The way we have it now a swap would include welding or removing the shaft from the box if thats even possible.

I saw one RHD installation in the thread, but it's a later model than mine with the handbrake on the floor. In my '77 BJ40 the release handle is under the dash. Has anyone fit the system successfully with this setup? It looks very tight.

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

The shaft collar on the lower and the bracket at the base of the dash at the upper. I'd probably do that a little different next time.[/QUOTE]
The original bracket With the rubber "bushing"? Basically the friction from the brackets and the rubber bushing hold it an adequate amount?

I saw one RHD installation in the thread, but it's a later model than mine with the handbrake on the floor. In my '77 BJ40 the release handle is under the dash. Has anyone fit the system successfully with this setup? It looks very tight.

View attachment 1436164

View attachment 1436165

I don't know about the ePowersteering kit, but on the EZ Powersteering kit (Different product all altogether), you can swing the electric motor to the right hand side to avoid the interference of the hand brake.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have an extra column and after a few confirmation measurements will probably take your measurements and build mine. Then (it could happen) just bolt it in and drive away. :steer:

What mods would I need for a 24v system? Or is it safe to wire directly to one battery only? I try to avoid depleting one as the other will die also.
You can wire to one battery. It will work fine, but the two batteries will have uneven life span. With the EZ Power Steering kit, most 24v customers opt to install a 24v to 12v converter, which enables you to load balance the two batteries.

The shaft collar on the lower and the bracket at the base of the dash at the upper. I'd probably do that a little different next time.
The original bracket With the rubber "bushing"? Basically the friction from the brackets and the rubber bushing hold it an adequate amount?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't move a bit. The shaft collar is complete over-kill. The thing is huge.

I really like this. Having a '71, would I run into the same issues as with a mini-truck conversion? I like the simplicity of the e steering with the option of going back to stock easily.

Similar to @Racer65's EZ out-of-the-box solution the motor can be positioned as needed. Just make sure you position it where you want it before welding the outer/upper tube as it is position sensitive. Judging by pictures - I think the motor on the EZ unit might be smaller/shorter if you are really tight on space.

Would a 71 have a column shifter? Your fab will be more difficult.
Yes my '71 has the original column shifter unfortunately...

Has anyone been successful installing one of these on a early model? It looks like there's no easy way out for me.

Here is my problem with my Electric power steering install.....
I find I hit my horm button when I'm palming my wheel making these easy turns! No more white knuckle grip!
Liking this Mod. so far!

Yes my '71 has the original column shifter unfortunately...

Has anyone been successful installing one of these on a early model? It looks like there's no easy way out for me.

We've done it, but it required sending the whole steering unit to the factory for fab work. There's a way, but no easy way.

IMG_4096.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg
IMG_4093.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom