Ditching HEI - how do I switch to Toyota with Pertronix ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Karma Flow-ith like a river today
Vroom! Vroom! @jvincig01
That dizzy is work of art.

Here's what made me grin after my post office visit today
View attachment 1404024

I'm pretty pumped about it! I bought my F145 engine from a guy I know and he gave me the HEI. I installed, set timing, clamped it down with a gasket, and it still leaks like crazy. There is no place for an o-ring so I am sure it uses a gasket. I am thinking it's a cheap HEI so I am not going to risk running it in my rig. Pretty sure it's completely seated.

I am doing it right with the OEM disti and Pertonix like Mark has said in other threads. Hopefully soon I will be calling Mark for one of his fancy carbs. This Weber isn't cutting it. Before I toasted my F135, I had a large glass carb and loved it. Definitely going back to OEM sooner than later.

@jvincig01 What does your dizzy clamp look like? I recall reading a thread where someone ditched an aftermarket dizzy and discovered the clamp they had wasn't allowing their OEM Nippondenso to fully seat in the oil pump.

I need to take a picture of it. Its basically an aftermarket one you can find at any speed shop. I am pretty sure it's fully seated but I am ready to ditch the hunk of junk.

OMG! I am SO glad you asked this Mark. Back in the day, Mr. T used to provide a dizzy clamp with the new dizzy. Not any more.

I brought Josh's box home, but haven't sealed it yet. Josh, if you don't have your old dizzy clamp from your F135, let me know and I can put one in the box.

OMG! I am SO glad you asked this Mark. Back in the day, Mr. T used to provide a dizzy clamp with the new dizzy. Not any more.

I brought Josh's box home, but haven't sealed it yet. Josh, if you don't have your old dizzy clamp from your F135, let me know and I can put one in the box.

Thank you for the offer but I have it somewhere around here. :beer:

@65swb45 I was having a pretty rough day until my package showed up! It really made my day better.

I forgot to ask if it's OK to run stock plugs with the setup?

Thanks for all your help, Mark!

I had a box on my doorstep today too:)

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Last edited:
@65swb45 I was having a pretty rough day until my package showed up! It really made my day better.

I forgot to ask if it's OK to run stock plugs with the setup?

Thanks for all your help, Mark!

Yes. Funny story. Many years ago one of my Texas friends, @66fj40x2 mailed me a care package of 6cylinder parts, having switched over to V8 in his yota. In it was a new set of ND short reach plugs for the F135 head. I had already installed the Pertronix in my dizzy a few years before, and my plugs were fine, so I put these new plugs up on the shelf.

Well about six years after I installed the plugs, I pulled them out becuase they looked REALLY ratty on the outside. The insides still looked perfect. Truly a testament to the Pertronix. I put in the plugs I got from Mike purely for aesthetics.

@65swb45 I think I have this all the way seated but thought I would send you a pic and some measurements. How does this look?
The measurement at the top of the clamp to the bottom of the bell (machined part) is 3/8. I compared some measurements next to my HEI and it's the same depth into the block. The picture of the machined part with the line on it is where i took a pencil to where the clamp sits.

IMG_8632.JPG
IMG_8633.JPG
IMG_8634.JPG
IMG_8635.JPG

Man that's snazzy!
I was nervous on mine so pulled my oil pressure sender, unplugged my coil, squirted some oil in the cylinders and cranked while watching for oil to squirt out the sender hole. I have a remote trigger so I was able to be under the vehicle watching.

Man that's snazzy!
I was nervous on mine so pulled my oil pressure sender, unplugged my coil, squirted some oil in the cylinders and cranked while watching for oil to squirt out the sender hole. I have a remote trigger so I was able to be under the vehicle watching.

I have a header in the way which makes it darn near impossible to do that without taking it apart. I just did some backwards math and determined this is how far it sits into the pump.
It doesn't bottom out but it sits in the groove pretty deep. The closeup picture shows the distance in space between the bottom of the disti and the floor of the pump groove.
IMG_8691.JPG
IMG_8692.JPG

I have no idea if mine needs to be seated better, but yours appears more seated than mine. I've driven my 71 F on 5 short test drives. So maybe 15 miles tops. My oil pressure needle runs in the middle position. I have a similar advance dizzy.
IMG_3020.JPG

I have no idea if mine needs to be seated better, but yours appears more seated than mine. I've driven my 71 F on 5 short test drives. So maybe 15 miles tops. My oil pressure needle runs in the middle position. I have a similar advance dizzy.View attachment 1415766

I just measured the depth of my old disti and my new one that I think is seated as far as it goes and they are the same measurement. I'm thinking we are all set. Let's hope

Josh

The pics are not showing on my iPhone. I don't know if the problem is on your end or mine.

Like @thebigredrocker suggests the sender hole is a good test. You can also crank the motor over for a few seconds with the coil disconnected, then connect. That way you'd register pressure on the guage immediately.

3/8 just sounds like too much to me.

Bigredrocker, the nylon plastic clip you are looking for for the throttle pedal is Toyota part #78449-90300, don't know if still available from Toyota???

Josh

The pics are not showing on my iPhone. I don't know if the problem is on your end or mine.

Like @thebigredrocker suggests the sender hole is a good test. You can also crank the motor over for a few seconds with the coil disconnected, then connect. That way you'd register pressure on the guage immediately.

3/8 just sounds like too much to me.

Oops, made an error. Exact measurement is 5/32. So just a hair over an 1/8.

Ok. With the shallower clamp, that is an acceptable measurement. Watch your guage at startup and just be mindful.;)

Best

Mark

Ok. With the shallower clamp, that is an acceptable measurement. Watch your guage at startup and just be mindful.;)

Best

Mark

Install completed! Timed it to your recommendation and took it for a spin today. Having run both HEI and Pertronix now, I can say that Pertronix runs considerably smoother.... at least in my opinion. Thanks, Mark!

Don't mean to hijack here @jvincig01 but I was wondering what plugs do you recommend Mark @65swb45 to run with your electronic dizzy and flame thrower coil in a 2F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom