Ditching HEI - how do I switch to Toyota with Pertronix ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvincig01

SILVER Star
Threads
So here's the story. I have a HEI distributor in my rig and running a Weber carb (that's going away at a later time). I have all new aftermarket wiring with literally one pink wire connected to the "battery" spot on the HEI.

I want to go back in time and install a Toyota distributor with Pertronix. I am not a wiring guy at all so I am trying to learn how to do this. I know I have to add a coil but I have no idea where to start.

I see a lot of write ups on going to HEI but I actually want to go away from HEI. Reason being, the PO had a cheap HEI that leaks bad through the new gasket (no rubber grommet on the one I have) and it runs like garbage.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I spoke with Mark's Offroad today. He mentioned he has a good used dizzy for an F. Pretty certain it's a vac advance type. I think he has a new OEM also. He's been a Pertronix dealer since the beginning of time. When I had a question on my Pertronix he walked me through the install. I know he has good OEM coils and flamethrower coils, and I'd bet he even has the special coil bracket. One phone call and you could get a package deal.

Last edited:
Hey Vince,
Just for confirmation, I put the pertronix in my original dizzy (eliminating an external electronic ignition jumble of mess). The thing started right up the other day and ran great. Stock coil from SOR. And now it sits, body off, for a year while I'm working out of town... so bummed.

Only thing wrong with this picture, I believe, is the coil was originally mounted with the wires down... but I like it this way. As you can see, I've got the Weber too... on the list to replace somehow, some way.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

IMG_1459.JPG

bb67tlc, the mistake you might be making is using a stock Landcruiser coil. The Peretronix flamethrower coil is a 40,000 volt coil, the stock coil is only 18,000 volts, and can not keep up with the demands of the Pertronix breakerlss ignition.

I guess my challenge is I don't know how to wire it up. My universal wiring kit has an HEI wire that connects to the "battery" port on my HEI and that's it. Would that connect to the new coil (i think so) or the toyota distributor? Man I feel like a noob when it comes to electrical.

You should have a wire coming from your ignition switch that provides juice to your coil when you turn your key on. Your HEI has a coil, it is built into the dizzy cap. The ignition wire goes to +. There will also be a - on your new external coil that will go to the dizzy points or Pertronix.

Here's what the small cap non-USA Dizzy looks like. The Pertronix is super simple to install.
IMG_2379.JPG

You should have a wire coming from your ignition switch that provides juice to your coil when you turn your key on. Your HEI has a coil, it is built into the dizzy cap. The ignition wire goes to +. There will also be a - on your new external coil that will go to the dizzy points or Pertronix.

Here's what the small cap non-USA Dizzy looks like. The Pertronix is super simple to install.
View attachment 1403717

Does this look right?

IMG_8552.JPG

Do I need a ballast resister in between the ignition wire and the + on the coil?

Josh, karma is an interesting thing.

When I talked with @thebigredrocker yesterday, and shared with him my tale of distributor woe (brand new aft dizzy from a reputable vendor failing in less than 2weeks) I told him I had ordered a brand new dizzy from Mr. T. Well, when Mr. T said I wasn't gonna see my new dizzy until at least Monday, and Monday is a holiday, I started getting itchy. I didn't have any rebuilt on the shelf. But I do now!
IMG_0958.JPG

Josh, karma is an interesting thing.

When I talked with @thebigredrocker yesterday, and shared with him my tale of distributor woe (brand new aft dizzy from a reputable vendor failing in less than 2weeks) I told him I had ordered a brand new dizzy from Mr. T. Well, when Mr. T said I wasn't gonna see my new dizzy until at least Monday, and Monday is a holiday, I started getting itchy. I didn't have any rebuilt on the shelf. But I do now!View attachment 1403920

Oooh lala. Is that for sale? Left you a message at the shop, kind sir.

Old school, dressed to the nines. Low mileage unit I save for a special customer...like myself. Put three solid hours into disassembling cleaning, detailing a resto worthy unit, right down to the tag.

So as I'm cleaning up, the phone rings and I see the caller ID is you. My hands are full and I don't feel like stopping to answer just to tell you that I don't have anything on the shelf ready to go.

TWO MINUTES LATER there's a knock on the door and Mr. T delivers the new dizzy. Karma. Take your pick. All I ask is that you don't pick my brain and purchase elsewhere.

Old school, dressed to the nines. Low mileage unit I save for a special customer...like myself. Put three solid hours into disassembling cleaning, detailing a resto worthy unit, right down to the tag.

So as I'm cleaning up, the phone rings and I see the caller ID is you. My hands are full and I don't feel like stopping to answer just to tell you that I don't have anything on the shelf ready to go.

TWO MINUTES LATER there's a knock on the door and Mr. T delivers the new dizzy. Karma. Take your pick. All I ask is that you don't pick my brain and purchase elsewhere.

Thanks for the setup and installing the Pertronix in the distributor for me. With my luck, I would have messed it up.

Paypal sent!

Last edited:
Josh's brand new dizzy has these two funny wires sticking out of it that mine doesn't.;) Mine has an old-school cam that fits under the points plate. Pics tomorrow under a different thread.

Mark, can you take a close up of where the throttle cable clips on the pedal? The retainer looks like a brake hose clip.

@jvincig01 What does your dizzy clamp look like? I recall reading a thread where someone ditched an aftermarket dizzy and discovered the clamp they had wasn't allowing their OEM Nippondenso to fully seat in the oil pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom