Builds Dissent offroad 2005 gx470 build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Kyle Fogle So is the trim job just trial and error on how much to take off? Also, what did you use to cut the shell? Going to try on get ours on this weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need to get it sorted.

I used a grinder and thin wheel. i rough cut most of the bumper off at the fog lights, and left about 1/2" from the body line along the top edge of the fog lights. I then did the detail cut right along the top edge of the body line like the attached photo.

IMG_2010.jpg

So did you get any kind of instructions or guidance on that? I got a pallet with steel strapped down and some hardware but no instructions. I have since done some research and looked back thru this thread and I think I have a pretty good idea on how the new goes back on. I am the kind that always actually reads the instructions before I start ripping and I haven't been able to find any instructions or other guidance on how to put it together, cut the bumper cover, etc. I get that it is pretty self explanatory, but still would have been nice to get some kind of basic instruction at least on the cutting.

Anyway, I will be getting into it this weekend, so we will see another one on the road soon.

Thanks

Last edited:
I didn't have any, but it was pretty straight forward. separate your hardware and "build" the bumper by laying it out on a piece of cardboard first. Everything will make sense on what goes where.

How about trimming the factory bumper cover? Is there a template for that or do you just eyeball it and hope you don’t cut too much off?

How about trimming the factory bumper cover? Is there a template for that or do you just eyeball it and hope you don’t cut too much off?

look at my last pic on page 7, there is a body line on the bumper you follow

How many rattle cans did everyone use for painting?

I'm about 7 cans in with a few pieces left.

2 cans of etch primer
2 cans of semi-gloss black (insides and brackets)
3 cans of color for the shell

1 can of thinner (cleaning)
2 big red scotchbright pads
6-8 hours of cleaning and prep

Last edited:
Well I got everything on today. So overall, I am very pleased with it, however as I mentioned above, the lack of instruction is a bit annoying. Those bits are out-weighed by how well it all goes together and how the finished product turns out.

So for those who may follow here are some of the things you will need to know.

First, for removal of the factory bumper cover, download the Metaltech goblin instructions as they give good guidance on getting to OE cover and crash bar off.

Second, here is the hardware I got.
1208181358.jpg

There are 2 lengths of SS bolts with nuts.

The 6 longer SS bolts go in the front bumperette covers that cover up the connection of the middle and wings (3 each side) the 8 shorter SS bolts hold the top covers on which cover the gap between the middle and wings.

The 4 short grade 8 nuts and bolts bolt the center, and 2 frame brackets together like this.

1208181436.jpg

There is a new grade 8 that goes in to an existing hole above the factory tie-down.

1208181434a.jpg

The longer small fine thread bolts with the thick washer replace the OE bolts on the frame.

1208181434.jpg

And after I got all finished up, I had these 4 allen head bolts left over. Didnt find a spot that they would go.

1208181732.jpg

Other than that, there were some bolts in the shell on the pallet that you will need to use for connections inside the shell.

The bumper cuts follow the molded line as noted above. The middle you will have to work with. I had to trim the middle section a couple times before I got the gap opened enough to get the trim on.

Here is the finished product with the bullet lights and flush-mounts just set in for now to see how it looks.

1208181729a_HDR.jpg

Here is where those 6 long SS bolts go.

1208181403.jpg

And Here is a before and after shot. Sorry the second one is kinda dark.

181208_172151_COLLAGE-1.jpg

It is cold and rainy outside, so it may be a day or 2 before I can get a good overall picture.

Got mine pieced together on the floor for a quick mockup. What did everyone do about those shims/spacers? Just use what you need when you install on the car to fill I'm the gap?

IMG_20181222_152607.jpg

What shims are you talking about? I don't recall having anything but a few bolts left over.

They came shipped installed on the part that captures the wings and main body together.

460243168.png

Interesting, I didn't get any of those with ours.... I have no idea what they would be used for. Given the way the brackets mount to the frame, I am not really sure how they would even go in there.

Interesting, I didn't get any of those with ours.... I have no idea what they would be used for. Given the way the brackets mount to the frame, I am not really sure how they would even go in there.

To me it seems like they might be used to go into the space where the pieces come together (where the long bolts go). I have an email to Ben about it...

Update from Ben:

• Those shims are for the 100 series bumper so you will not need them on the gx,
  • The 4 Allen heads will bolt the center to the frame mounts, the heads of these bolts will be used as alignment pins for the wings.
  • The logo is stainless and does not require any paint unless desired.
I'll try to take some pics of my install once I do it, hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for putting together those photos.
I installed my fogs using the factory wiring/stalk mounted switch also, but mine are still tied into the factory wiring, meaning I can't turn on my fogs without headlights and my high beams kill my fogs.

If you were able to use the factory switch and not have the factory restrictions, can you explain how you got around them?

Thanks for putting together those photos.
I installed my fogs using the factory wiring/stalk mounted switch also, but mine are still tied into the factory wiring, meaning I can't turn on my fogs without headlights and my high beams kill my fogs.

If you were able to use the factory switch and not have the factory restrictions, can you explain how you got around them?

See the link in my previous post.

Been lurking for years, soaking in information. but created an account just to say... Damnnnn that is some genuine badass fabrication done for those GX bumpers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom