Builds Dissent offroad 2005 gx470 build.

Discussion in '120-Series Toyotas' started by benc, Feb 3, 2018.

1. jynx

jynx Turd Herder SILVER Star

So did you get any kind of instructions or guidance on that? I got a pallet with steel strapped down and some hardware but no instructions. I have since done some research and looked back thru this thread and I think I have a pretty good idea on how the new goes back on. I am the kind that always actually reads the instructions before I start ripping and I haven't been able to find any instructions or other guidance on how to put it together, cut the bumper cover, etc. I get that it is pretty self explanatory, but still would have been nice to get some kind of basic instruction at least on the cutting.

Anyway, I will be getting into it this weekend, so we will see another one on the road soon.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Arailt likes this.
  2. Kyle Fogle

Kyle Fogle H.B.I.C. at Treaty Oak Offroad Supporting Vendor

Media:
    I didn't have any, but it was pretty straight forward. separate your hardware and "build" the bumper by laying it out on a piece of cardboard first. Everything will make sense on what goes where.

3. Arailt

Arailt SILVER Star

How about trimming the factory bumper cover? Is there a template for that or do you just eyeball it and hope you don’t cut too much off?

4. Kyle Fogle

Kyle Fogle H.B.I.C. at Treaty Oak Offroad Supporting Vendor

Media:
    look at my last pic on page 7, there is a body line on the bumper you follow

jynx and Arailt like this.
  5. teejnut

teejnut

Media:
    Albums:
    How many rattle cans did everyone use for painting?

6. jynx

I'm about 7 cans in with a few pieces left.

2 cans of etch primer
    2 cans of semi-gloss black (insides and brackets)
    3 cans of color for the shell

1 can of thinner (cleaning)
    2 big red scotchbright pads
    6-8 hours of cleaning and prep

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    G-Cat and teejnut like this.
  7. jynx

Well I got everything on today. So overall, I am very pleased with it, however as I mentioned above, the lack of instruction is a bit annoying. Those bits are out-weighed by how well it all goes together and how the finished product turns out.

So for those who may follow here are some of the things you will need to know.

First, for removal of the factory bumper cover, download the Metaltech goblin instructions as they give good guidance on getting to OE cover and crash bar off.

Second, here is the hardware I got.
    1208181358.jpg

There are 2 lengths of SS bolts with nuts.

The 6 longer SS bolts go in the front bumperette covers that cover up the connection of the middle and wings (3 each side) the 8 shorter SS bolts hold the top covers on which cover the gap between the middle and wings.

The 4 short grade 8 nuts and bolts bolt the center, and 2 frame brackets together like this.

1208181436.jpg

There is a new grade 8 that goes in to an existing hole above the factory tie-down.

1208181434a.jpg

The longer small fine thread bolts with the thick washer replace the OE bolts on the frame.

1208181434.jpg

And after I got all finished up, I had these 4 allen head bolts left over. Didnt find a spot that they would go.

1208181732.jpg

Other than that, there were some bolts in the shell on the pallet that you will need to use for connections inside the shell.

The bumper cuts follow the molded line as noted above. The middle you will have to work with. I had to trim the middle section a couple times before I got the gap opened enough to get the trim on.

Arailt and teejnut like this.
  8. jynx

Here is the finished product with the bullet lights and flush-mounts just set in for now to see how it looks.

1208181729a_HDR.jpg

Here is where those 6 long SS bolts go.

1208181403.jpg

And Here is a before and after shot. Sorry the second one is kinda dark.

181208_172151_COLLAGE-1.jpg

It is cold and rainy outside, so it may be a day or 2 before I can get a good overall picture.

TheJapalian, Rock Taco, G-Cat and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.