Dishwasher Fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Not ready to buy a new one, as this gem is only 3 years old, but our GE model GLD4500R00BB has suddenly stopped draining. :frown:

I checked the install - it has a standalone drain that is vented, so I am suspecting there is something mechanical at play.

Drain pump?
Solenoid?
Other

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Thanks.

Most washers have a filter (or two) in the bottom of the wash compartment--usually pretty easy to remove and clean-check that first.(manual should give directions for cleaning and location)

The following is from the owner's manual:

Water won’t pump Drain is clogged • If you have an air gap, clean it. See page 18.
out of the tub • If the dishwasher drains into a disposer, run disposer clear.
• Check to see if your kitchen sink is draining well. If not, you
may need a plumber.

hope this helps--

Last edited:
Most washers have a filter (or two) in the bottom of the wash compartment--usually pretty easy to remove and clean-check that first.(manual should give directions for cleaning and location) The following is from the owner's manual: Water won’t pump Drain is clogged • If you have an air gap, clean it. See page 18. out of the tub • If the dishwasher drains into a disposer, run disposer clear. • Check to see if your kitchen sink is draining well. If not, you may need a plumber. hope this helps--

Thanks.

The inlet to the drain pump was occluded by green beans. To bad the dishwasher is not capable of grinding those things up, but this thing is just cheap contractor grade appliance - barely adequate.

I have a kitchenaide that has a small "garburator" in the drain...but have had to dismantle the bottom of the tub several times to clear it...usually lemon seeds plug it up ..... these arent serious or practical grinders and cause as many problems as they solve.

I have a kitchenaide that has a small "garburator" in the drain...but have had to dismantle the bottom of the tub several times to clear it...usually lemon seeds plug it up ..... these arent serious or practical grinders and cause as many problems as they solve.

I could see lemon seeds being tough to destroy, but green beans?!?

I also found some slime in the innards of the washer. It dawned on me a few days later that maybe that slime/goop is the residue of those pre-packaged doses of dishwasher detergent? The wife had been buying a generic product in this form. Our water is a little hard here, so maybe that packaging does not dissolve all the way. Switching product now...

Green beans you would think would eventually break down ... I guess they have some pretty strong fiber!
My wife is on the "ECO" kick so if the product "claims" to be made from some sort of "ecologically friendly" substance like horse piss ... we use it.... problem is with the stuff she buys I have to wash the dishes before they go in the dish washer AND after sometimes. So I periodically give my dishpan hands a rest and slip one of those commercially caustic products in and marvel at the sparkling glasses!!
Anyway the eco crap will leave terrible scum on the walls and racks of the washer so I found this product (probably I am the last guy to learn of it!) called "Dishwasher magic" that goes n a rack and then you run a cycle --- sure helps remove the scum!

Do yourself a favor and ditch it and then get a Bosch. They don't have garbage pumps, much quieter and clean great. I can stand next to the unit when running and if there is conversation, you cannot hear it. No raising voices. Mine is 13 years old, still cleans great and still quiet.

I do want to ditch this unit, but so pissed that a "new" (3 year old) washer does such a crappy job. We had warranty service on it and the guy told us how hard it is now that the gov't changed regs on detergents. He said we had to give it hot water to start, buy certain kinds of detergents, use Jet Dry, light scented candles, play some Barry White, dim the lighting, etc.

What a crock. The house we moved from had a prob 25 year old GE that would clean the **** out of everything on cheap detergent.

The one variable is that town had really great tap water. The new town, not as good. :meh:

He said we had to give it hot water to start, buy certain kinds of detergents, use Jet Dry, light scented candles, play some Barry White, dim the lighting, etc.

:lol: And now the carbord box weighs more than new machine! (I just replaced ours)...Works better than the old one though.:meh:

I bought my Bosch the year consumer reports did one and said it wasn't good. they recommended a kenmore which my friend got. they regretted it from day 2.
Sell the old unit cheap and suck it up. If you can bargain shop, the bosch can be had for not as much as you think. I went to sears and they had a $900 unit clearance for $600. I said I wanted it for less and in 1 minute, they dropped it down to $500. With the energy savings, it will be cheaper overall than your cheap one.
Mineral in the water will kill any heating appliance. Maybe you need to clean up your water.

I have a couple of older Kitchenaides at the farm that are pretty good - certainly better than the one that traps lemon seeds at home! I also have some experience with a couple of obscure Euro lines and Miele.

I will say old Miele clothes washer I bought used and replaced a few (expensive) parts is working like a champ - so far.

OTH the Miele dishwasher (recently purchased) in my sister in laws house has been an expensive pain in the axx...

I am glad the Bosch's reported on here are working well and my understanding is folks rank dishwashers as follows: Miele, Bosch, Asko.

Personally I am happy with my two older Kitchenaides at the farm
less so with the most recently purchased one at the house AND if I could wire it up (and find a good deal!) ....I would look for a commercial Hobart and be done with it!!

x2 on the Bosch. SIL has had one for years. We got ours a year ago when an old Kitchenaid crapped out. Super, super quiet. No disposal like US dishwashers. Big filter/drain to clean out every once in awhile.

I think he means you should run hot water at the sink to get it really hot, before you start the dishwasher. We always do that with or Bosch, not sure how much it helps but at least this way we are sure it gets primed with hot hot water.

All dishwashers use the hot line but if it is a long run to dishwasher from the water heater, you don't get hot water. Bosch has an inline heater to make sure it is hot.
You want a dishwasher with a stainless interior as it can withstand the heat. If it doesn't, not likely to be a heater built in.
Running the sink hot water until it gets hot at the faucets goes a long way with a cheap dishwasher

there are at least a half dozen reasons why I hate GE :mad:

my old Kitchenaid hiccuped after 23 years. Not bad. Admittedly it cleaned only so-so and was noisy. Developed some compelling startup and timing problems.
I fixed it by twisting directly the timing wheel with a wrench. Worked better like that than it had been in a long time. And I thought it looked better with a wrench sticking out of the front plate. :)
Strangely, the :princess:es didn't think that was such a nice way to run the dishwasher. What's with that... :confused:
So to keep peace in the household I went along with a Bosch. Main :princess: has a friend who just got one, so guess what we needed to have badly...
I must say it cleans better than the old one and is much quieter. Rated very high by CR and not too expensive. We'll see how long it lasts.

Umm, I don't leave green beans on dishes before putting them in the dishwasher... Maybe that helps a bit too?

my old Kitchenaid hiccuped after 23 years. Not bad. Admittedly it cleaned only so-so and was noisy. Developed some compelling startup and timing problems. I fixed it by twisting directly the timing wheel with a wrench. Worked better like that than it had been in a long time. And I thought it looked better with a wrench sticking out of the front plate. :) Strangely, the :princess:es didn't think that was such a nice way to run the dishwasher. What's with that... :confused: So to keep peace in the household I went along with a Bosch. Main :princess: has a friend who just got one, so guess what we needed to have badly... I must say it cleans better than the old one and is much quieter. Rated very high by CR and not too expensive. We'll see how long it lasts. Umm, I don't leave green beans on dishes before putting them in the dishwasher... Maybe that helps a bit too?

You are welcome to come over any time and give my wife a course on proper dishwasher loading. Let me know how that works out for you!

why don't you load it yourself :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom