Diff support question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
I have a 2004 GX. 170K. Currently I have other Land Cruiser that are taken offroad. My Gx is used rarely offroad but mostly for pulling small boats or other trailers.

If I stay with close to a stock suspension height, stock tire size, is it really worth replacing the Diff support on the passenger side. Seems like people who had issue had larger tires and were pushing vehicle offroad.

Thanks

I would, simply for peace of mind. If it breaks there's potential for massive damage.

@SHERMAN FJ62 I follow your logic. If you are close to stock and don't wheel it on rocks nor hard trails, then the probability of breaking seems low.

It's on my list of things to do because I've been wheeling it more often up to medium difficulty trails and I still have the original weaker diff support bracket. It costs way more to be extracted from a far away rocky trail than replace it with a beefier diff bracket. Note to self: REPLACE DIFF SUPPORT BRACKET!

It is under $200 shipped and can be done in minutes using hand tools. There is almost no reason to not do this unless you can't put food on your table.

If you’re not the first owner, it’s always worth checking the one that’s on there now to see if it’s already been upgraded. I assumed mine was original 2004 and didn’t realize it was the upgraded part until I had it in hand with my new one. Oh well, double-extra peace of mind for me I guess.

But yes you need to upgrade it.

It’s actually cheaper than $200. I’ve seen it new for $105 plus shipping and tax if applicable

Is this something that got upgraded on the later GX's? So my '08 has the upgraded bracket already?

Later models got a new part. I broke and replaced mine in around 2012.

Unfortunately i did my research earlier this year on the diff support bracket and only wrote down price and part number to give me idea of cost.

Here’s a link to this place for $107 but I’ve never bought anything from them Front Support - Toyota (52380-60021) | cheap parts

This web site makes it look like there’s two different support brackets for the same part number, so make sure you get the GX470 one...hmmm....confusing

07F3BABA-133C-4C08-A869-D77DB2E33CC9.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom