Diesel Shop for IP Rebuild Recommendation, HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello There! Long time lurker, first time posting.

I've had a 1990 HDJ81 in California for almost a year now, and it's been a great rig. I recently had the ACSD pin shear (stupid me for not deleting it earlier) which sent a bunch of metal shavings into the IP and me chasing a couple small fuel leaks trying to solve the symptoms I was having.

The truck originally would not idle, had to have the throttle depressed about 1/4 way to get it to start, would die if the RPM was below 1200, but would run perfectly fine once it was in gear and moving faster than about 10 MPH. In fact, when the pin sheared I was on a road trip with a trailer, and the truck was perfectly happy cruising at 60MPH and I only noticed a problem when I pulled off the freeway to get a cup of coffee and the truck died as I was slowing down on the offramp.

Long story short, I fixed an air leak on the fuel filter cap(priming pump diaphragm), cleaned out all the metal on the IP overflow bolt, from around the fuel cutoff solenoid, swapped the POS ACSD for a block off plate and flushed more metal out the ACSD port on the IP, and hoped for the best. The truck runs noticable better, idles ok down at about 1000 RPM, and is generally derivable except for a hunting idle (about a 100 RPM swing), and occasionally the idle speed would stick up higher at 1200-1400 RPM. I figured this sounded like the governor was sticking and pulled the top of the IP open and found a couple more bits of metal and the small port in the little cup that rides on the governor shaft clogged. I cleaned out everything i could see, put it back together, and now the truck is pretty OK, but still has a small hunting idle when I put it in gear with my foot on the brake, and the truck wants to die when at ~600 RPM which I figure is still probably metal in and around the governor.

So, background aside, onto my question:
Does anyone have recommendations for a diesel shop on the west coast that they have experience with to do a full clean and rebuilt on my IP pump? This is my first diesel, and I do not have any friends who have had to rebuild an injection pump, and therefore do not know of a shop that can be trusted to do a good job. I have no problem pulling the pump and shipping it off to someone for a rebuild as well.

I dont have any good pics of the ACSD and subsequent destruction, but here is one of the rig.
aitkTH4vFElqnnQTdE74yqGvX_L2RB9dQdJ1L9lt93i3iCT2LmcGKgbwZ8NoXTV7Cv_bu15-sdepREMy7Kky_FH8REjaSweUiQACrnCw732BPxx0RGCGUINjZxCwV0uGiH8TE-1s0szzmjnchfaMmZDGMgQ0C43bilNgTERutA_wS2YkGbvtWLOztmd8U7SnUFWyhYrEKvB3NpaizWLc27zi8GkGIqG4n1iRa1gBKwuJ_t03sT0uCgdR_T9s8DPkCt89Dw71WA-5vnnAgjrNg34ngxrO7fp8q3hGZXjHwn_ZePyivsATVB0jki8yk--E7DJlO1ZsoEvXXD3mqUzUppGtz2tEzwvueI3AyPKw82lFNAqR9Pr0bo9sxuvZGwPQXtXdiGheBJCN-TGHVHNJd-QX99kZJUBcFAlKoChQRp3XSW-FxG4r_79DzpceIqgqvwn08ApU8N8_3wAdVMQkP1rKK2_SRdE31VZsVvciIk2FMS07wJbAyIt7rMQVyq9ex5OcH9wQCeiQGTbVAIM5re8p3ngqkrnehYR2wRdMpOzjOheBI3U-NCi9yXHpULEHjO82hvuRGkNpZAujq1tF4on5VyUyhR7U3LKfx7dLG2F3sWGOykGc=w478-h357-no

Thanks!
-Price

Although I personally have no experience with them, I do know that a number of Canadians have used Okanagan Diesel with good success: masters-of-diesel

So what is this ACSD pin? How do I delete mine before this happens?

Search! There is lots of info on this already. It's a cold start injection advance device that can fail and cause what has been described above. It's easy to remove and cover with a block off plate.

Although I personally have no experience with them, I do know that a number of Canadians have used Okanagan Diesel with good success: masters-of-diesel

Search! There is lots of info on this already. It's a cold start injection advance device that can fail and cause what has been described above. It's easy to remove and cover with a block off plate.

Hey Coupe, I did search and didn't find the info I need to delete my ACSD!! Now can you post the best thread for this delete. THAT would
be much appreciated. I can't even find my ACSD on my pump to see what I am deleting. ANY pics of the ACSD would be great. ANY pics of
it deleted would be great too. Thanks

Hello There! Long time lurker, first time posting.

I've had a 1990 HDJ81 in California for almost a year now, and it's been a great rig. I recently had the ACSD pin shear (stupid me for not deleting it earlier) which sent a bunch of metal shavings into the IP and me chasing a couple small fuel leaks trying to solve the symptoms I was having.

The truck originally would not idle, had to have the throttle depressed about 1/4 way to get it to start, would die if the RPM was below 1200, but would run perfectly fine once it was in gear and moving faster than about 10 MPH. In fact, when the pin sheared I was on a road trip with a trailer, and the truck was perfectly happy cruising at 60MPH and I only noticed a problem when I pulled off the freeway to get a cup of coffee and the truck died as I was slowing down on the offramp.

Long story short, I fixed an air leak on the fuel filter cap(priming pump diaphragm), cleaned out all the metal on the IP overflow bolt, from around the fuel cutoff solenoid, swapped the POS ACSD for a block off plate and flushed more metal out the ACSD port on the IP, and hoped for the best. The truck runs noticable better, idles ok down at about 1000 RPM, and is generally derivable except for a hunting idle (about a 100 RPM swing), and occasionally the idle speed would stick up higher at 1200-1400 RPM. I figured this sounded like the governor was sticking and pulled the top of the IP open and found a couple more bits of metal and the small port in the little cup that rides on the governor shaft clogged. I cleaned out everything i could see, put it back together, and now the truck is pretty OK, but still has a small hunting idle when I put it in gear with my foot on the brake, and the truck wants to die when at ~600 RPM which I figure is still probably metal in and around the governor.

So, background aside, onto my question:
Does anyone have recommendations for a diesel shop on the west coast that they have experience with to do a full clean and rebuilt on my IP pump? This is my first diesel, and I do not have any friends who have had to rebuild an injection pump, and therefore do not know of a shop that can be trusted to do a good job. I have no problem pulling the pump and shipping it off to someone for a rebuild as well.

I dont have any good pics of the ACSD and subsequent destruction, but here is one of the rig.
aitkTH4vFElqnnQTdE74yqGvX_L2RB9dQdJ1L9lt93i3iCT2LmcGKgbwZ8NoXTV7Cv_bu15-sdepREMy7Kky_FH8REjaSweUiQACrnCw732BPxx0RGCGUINjZxCwV0uGiH8TE-1s0szzmjnchfaMmZDGMgQ0C43bilNgTERutA_wS2YkGbvtWLOztmd8U7SnUFWyhYrEKvB3NpaizWLc27zi8GkGIqG4n1iRa1gBKwuJ_t03sT0uCgdR_T9s8DPkCt89Dw71WA-5vnnAgjrNg34ngxrO7fp8q3hGZXjHwn_ZePyivsATVB0jki8yk--E7DJlO1ZsoEvXXD3mqUzUppGtz2tEzwvueI3AyPKw82lFNAqR9Pr0bo9sxuvZGwPQXtXdiGheBJCN-TGHVHNJd-QX99kZJUBcFAlKoChQRp3XSW-FxG4r_79DzpceIqgqvwn08ApU8N8_3wAdVMQkP1rKK2_SRdE31VZsVvciIk2FMS07wJbAyIt7rMQVyq9ex5OcH9wQCeiQGTbVAIM5re8p3ngqkrnehYR2wRdMpOzjOheBI3U-NCi9yXHpULEHjO82hvuRGkNpZAujq1tF4on5VyUyhR7U3LKfx7dLG2F3sWGOykGc=w478-h357-no

Thanks!
-Price

Please post some pics of the ACSD if you can. From what I have read we can get a delete kit from Radd Cruisers for 33 dollars.

Hey Coupe, I did search and didn't find the info I need to delete my ACSD!! Now can you post the best thread for this delete. THAT would
be much appreciated. I can't even find my ACSD on my pump to see what I am deleting. ANY pics of the ACSD would be great. ANY pics of
it deleted would be great too. Thanks

When you search on this site, it only searches the forum that you are in. So for something like the ACSD, if not many hits are coming up in just the Diesel section for example, just click on "Forums" at the top, and then type "ACSD" in the search. You'll get pages of results. Anyhow, here is one thread that should help you: ACSD: The Mysterious device.. Sadly the pictures don't show anymore. Here is another one: ACSD delete service bulletin

I have used this guy for several pump and injector overhauls, and sent many other people to him, and everyone is happy.

Fairly quick turn around, and very fair prices.

General Diesel Injection Services  Address: 1324 W Santa Ana St, Anaheim, CA 92802Phone:(714) 772-7780

Its a good time to get your injectors done as well. The injectors are the other end of the pump and they are only as good as each other.

Contact Michael at westcoastcruisers.com
He knows a local guy, has used him in the past, and said he's good and familiar with our pumps. (But that Anaheim shop mentioned above might be a good choice too. I dunno.)
Scot

Last edited:
Is Portland too far? It would be worth the drive as the best mechanic on the W Coast has a shop there.

Is Portland too far? It would be worth the drive as the best mechanic on the W Coast has a shop there.

Portland is a bit too far to drive the truck right now. But I can definitely pull the pump and ship it to Portland.

Do you have a name or contact info?

Josh Harper
Willamette Blvd Auto

This guy is a "great" mechanic and is reasonably priced.

Josh Harper
Willamette Blvd Auto

This guy is a "great" mechanic and is reasonably priced.

Why is great in quotations? o_O

Send it somewhere that has current, extensive experience with HDT pumps and injectors.

Send it somewhere that has current, extensive experience with HDT pumps and injectors.

x2 Don't let someone learn on your pump.

Great is in "quotations" because I have complete confidence in his abilities after doing business with him for 15 years. That is why I consider him to be "great."

x2 Don't let someone learn on your pump.

Yep! That's why I posted here asking for advice on places with knowledge of these pumps rather than just going to the local shops. I would much rather pay more for a trusted service than find the cheapest shop in town.

Yep! That's why I posted here asking for advice on places with knowledge of these pumps rather than just going to the local shops. I would much rather pay more for a trusted service than find the cheapest shop in town.
John at Okanagen diesel injection in Vernon BC knows these pumps. Take it off and ship it to him. I wish there was a place stateside, but let's be realistic, the Canadians have been working on these units for over 10 years now. We're just getting started down here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom