Did I trans oil incorrectly??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an H55 trans with a split transfer case. I read that you fill the transfer case through the transmission filler hole. We tried this and no fluid ever made its way back to the transfer case. I read there should be 5 quarts in the H55 and 1.4 quarts in the transfer case. I was only able to get 4.5 quarts in the transmission and ended up servicing the transfer case separately with 1.4 quarts.

My concern is that there is not enough fluid in the transfer case because 1.4 quarts doesn't get it even close to the filler hole, where common sense tells me to fill all the way until fluid comes out. I also don't want the transfer case becoming overfilled; will the trans fluid eventually make its way back?

Separate gear cases unless the seal between the two leaks, which it did on mine.

Both units are filled even with the fill hole, so until some is dribbling out.

This is misleading. Both units are filled even with the fill HOLES. Fill each unit separately. There is a seal in between them that is prone to failure, but that does not mean you fill them as one. If you think you have a bad seal, keep an eye on it by opening the transfer fill plug occasionally. If oil pours out, it must have come from the transmission.

Last edited:
This is misleading. Both units are filled even with the fill HOLES. Fill each unit separately. There is a seal in between them that is prone to failure, but that does not mean you fill them as one. If you think you have a bad seal, keep an eye on it by opening the transfer fill plug occasionally. If oil pours out, it must have come from the transmission.

Isn't it the transmission which will overflow if the seal is broken, stealing oil from the transfer..and not the other way around? Or am I having a brain fart right now?

I understand that is the usual way it flows if the Tx/T-case seal is bad

Either way, if it is cactus you can buy/make a transfer pipe that screws into your fill bung holes on each. Seen miles of trucks down here like that.

Yup, I put one on mine a week ago, because I saw my tranny was flooded.

Tried to purchase a hose from a MUD member but he was out of stock. Went to the local high pressure shop and they made a hose for me for $35. The ends are 90 degree, 18mm for the H55 and split case and standard threads for the hose The red tube beside the hose is a heat shield since the hose will be close to the exhaust. The H55 is new and unused and the split case was just rebuilt and rather than waiting for a problem to happen, I thought it would be cheap insurance to go ahead and get a bypass hose just in case. The previous owner of the split case almost stripped out the threads on the TC fill hole but the new fitting was long enough to reach threads they managed to miss.

Bypass Hose.JPG

I believe my T-case seal may be bad. Going to try the hose method but I want to make sure this is not a bandaid but an actual effective repair/alternative to pulling the T-case out.

Does the hose allow both the H55 trans and T-case to stay at optimum fluid levels or will they just seek a common level? In which case the trans would be starved as it holds 5 quarts and the T-case is around 1.5.....

In my case it is insurance. However, the fill level of the tranny will/should not go less than the fill hole and the excess over the fill hole will drain back to the TC. At least that is how I understand this to work.

Yeah that makes sense. How could it possible go above the fill hole level, right? It would just drain down the hose, as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom